Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,018

pblakeney said:

I skimmed it and at first glance they may be comparing apples and oranges in the years quoted. IIRC there was a strike during at least some of that period in NHL.
    Not that I am doubting numbers have dropped since they started changing rules. #coincidence
    It isn't coincidence. There's a player strike in one or other of the NHL or MLB most years.
    That’s not true, prior to the current MLB lockout the last player strike was during the 94-95 season and the most recent lockout in the NHL was in 2012. There were NHL lockouts in 1994 and 2004 but the last actual player strike was in 1992. So saying there’s a strike in one or the other most years is just wrong.
    what's the difference between a player strike and a lockout? Games don't get played.

It's fairly common, and there were periods during 1996-2003 when I was there, so I don't think you've got them all on your list.

List of MLB strikes https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLB_lockout

List of NHL strikes
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_lockout

Nothing 1996-2003
    NBA?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,193
    The comments sum it up much better than I could be be bothered to.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,921
    How does giving up the car they own to hire a Tesla save them money?
  • monkimark said:

How does giving up the car they own to hire a Tesla save them money?

It's the magic of tesla
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,067
    edited January 2022
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2022
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2022
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2022
    LONDON -- Tesla is turning to Mozambique for a key component in its electric car batteries in what analysts believe is a first-of-its-kind deal designed to reduce its dependence on China for graphite.

Elon Musk's company signed an agreement last month with Australia's Syrah Resources, which operates one of the world’s largest graphite mines in the southern African country. It's a unique partnership between an electric vehicle manufacturer and a producer of the mineral that is critical for lithium-ion batteries. The value of the deal hasn't been released
    https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/tesla-inks-deal-key-battery-component-china-82293464

A good idea for Tesla to get resources from outside China too.
  • pblakeney said:

I'm just glad that someone is taking the plight of the real victims of the cost of living crisis seriously at last.
  • pblakeney said:

I'm just glad that someone is taking the plight of the real victims of the cost of living crisis seriously at last.
    I have to say that when I read it I thought it was a parody acct.

It does highlight what I have thought that if you have the room then an au pair is bloody good value. And from the au pairs point of view they get free rent/food/car and a grand a month to spend
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,791

pblakeney said:

It does highlight what I have thought that if you have the room then an au pair is bloody good value. And from the au pairs point of view they get free rent/food/car and a grand a month to spend
    Isn't there some considerable variance in the quality of au pairs?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,207
    edited January 2022

pblakeney said:

I went out with 2 au pairs. One was working from 6.30am to 10 at night looking after 2 brats and 1 very disabled 14 year old whilst rich parents were off fishing in South Africa. She certainly wasn't getting a grand a week.
    [Suffice to say, I got her a job at Fusciardi's ice cream parlour].
    Au pair number 2 lived with a paranoid couple in Woodford green, parents to 4 year old and Mum didn't work. This I couldn't work out but mum liked going out shopping, seeing friends and being pampered.
    Padlocks and security everywhere. It was horrible. She definitely wasn't getting a grand a week living in a shoe cupboard with the TV on top of a wardrobe giving you a cricked neck and strict rules on everything.
    The windows only opened 2".
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,423
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

I went out with 2 au pairs. One was working from 6.30am to 10 at night looking after 2 brats and 1 very disabled 14 year old whilst rich parents were off fishing in South Africa. She certainly wasn't getting a grand a week.
    Au pair number 2 lived with a paranoid couple in Woodford green, parents to 4 year old and Mum didn't work. This I couldn't work out but mum liked going out shopping, seeing friends and being pampered.
    Padlocks and security everywhere. It was horrible. She definitely wasn't getting a grand a week living in a shoe cupboard with the TV on top of a wardrobe giving you a cricked neck and strict rules on everything.
    A grand a week isn't the same as a grand a month.
  • I particularly enjoyed the idea of moving grocery shopping TO Ocado as a way of saving money.
  • TheBigBean

I particularly enjoyed the idea of moving grocery shopping TO Ocado as a way of saving money.

Is this lady the talk of Kingston now?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Amazing that some think au pairs shouldn't enjoy protection of employment legislation don't you think?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930

I particularly enjoyed the idea of moving grocery shopping TO Ocado as a way of saving money.

She will be a pariah for letting her standards slip so low.
  • pblakeney

I mean, imagine admitting that you are in such a dire position that you have to budget. And then do so publicly. An affront to public decency.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    I'm sure "Levelling Up" 'minister' Slithy Gove will provide some support for the troubled lands of SW Lahndahn.
  • I particularly enjoyed the idea of moving grocery shopping TO Ocado as a way of saving money.

At the risk of upsetting the residents Kingston really is not that sort of a place, other than a few streets. I would say £40k a year on a nanny puts you in the serious money category at which point you move out to Esther/Oxshot/Cobham
  • TheBigBean

At the risk of upsetting the residents Kingston really is not that sort of a place, other than a few streets. I would say £40k a year on a nanny puts you in the serious money category at which point you move out to Esther/Oxshot/Cobham
    Less than two kids in private school, so not that uncommon.

If your social circle lives in Petersham to be close to the German school, you probably could feel like you are economising while still spending more money than most people dream of.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,921
    Not so close to the German school that they don't need an Audi A3 specifically to drop off a 3 year old...
  • First.Aspect

Not all private schools are that expensive and it would still be top 2% income bracket I'd have thought, probably rather higher.

Top 2% is a salary, for one person, of roughly £100k, so take home, roughly £60k.

Pretty hard to find £40k out of that.
  • TheBigBean

Not all private schools are that expensive and it would still be top 2% income bracket I'd have thought, probably rather higher.

Top 2% is a salary, for one person, of roughly £100k, so take home, roughly £60k.

This is why someone wrote an article about the hardships the good people of Kingston may be facing. I could be wrong, but I think most London ones are £25k pa.
  • pblakeney
    monkimark said:

Not so close to the German school that they don't need an Audi A3 specifically to drop off a 3 year old...

Phht. I live in a village where the furthest house is 1/2 mile from the school and road is still gridlocked twice daily. That's for another topic.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect

This is why someone wrote an article about the hardships the good people of Kingston may be facing. I could be wrong, but I think most London ones are £25k pa.
    Who knows.

Guardian thinks the average costs are rather lower, at nearer £14k pa, but I reckon 99% of households would still notice £30k of disposable income going missing;

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/oct/08/english-private-school-fees-90-higher-than-state-school-spending-per-pupil

• pinno
    Pross said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

A grand a week isn't the same as a grand a month.
    My mistake: I meant grand a month - and neither earned nearly that.
  • pinno

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Amazing that some think au pairs shouldn't enjoy protection of employment legislation don't you think?
    [Hello S, no long time see]

Yes, both situations were abhorrent. Person A was treated like a dogsbody and person B was treated with indifference. She never felt welcome and didn't go out of her room unless it was attending to the 4 year old or to go out.