Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,067
    pblakeney said:

masjer said:

Here's something shocking about wasting fuel- billionaires' superyachts.
    According to one calculation by Indiana University anthropologists, one with a permanent crew, a helicopter pad, submarines and pools emits over 7,000 tons of CO2 a year.
    Multiplied by 300 -- roughly the number of superyachts worldwide that fit that bill -- that equals over 2 million tons of CO2, more than the individual yearly emissions of about a quarter of the world's countries.

Probably still less than one Tesla factory though.
    It's worth it though as Tesla factories create greatness.
  • focuszing723
    Why is Football the top sport? What makes Humans so successful on Earth is via the use of their hands to create make and evolve things. Consequently I don't understand why a sport which uses the $h1tter of their limbs has become so popular, as apposed to say Tennis, Ping Pong...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,089

Why is Football the top sport? What makes Humans so successful on Earth is via the use of their hands to create make and evolve things. Consequently I don't understand why a sport which uses the $h1tter of their limbs has become so popular, as apposed to say Tennis, Ping Pong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGjmdYbt2W8
  • focuszing723
    He has learnt to use his feet as his hands which reinforces my argument. I would understand it if football was changed to handball and played with hands.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,018

He has learnt to use his feet as his hands which reinforces my argument. I would understand it if football was changed to handball and played with hands.

I think handball is already a thing.
  • focuszing723

Not in terms of following compared to the $hitter limb version though and that's my issue. The hands have created great things, the feet not so much. Consequently top sport should reflect this by hand played sports.

The greatest invention on Earth by Humans was arguable the wheel, it wasn't made with the feet.

• briantrumpet

Not in terms of following compared to the $hitter limb version though and that's my issue. The hands have created great things, the feet not so much. Consequently top sport should reflect this by hand played sports.

The greatest invention on Earth by Humans was arguable the wheel, it wasn't made with the feet.

Isn't that just a waste of what humans can do with their hands though? Chucking a ball (or whatever) chucked about? Is bowls that much more exciting to watch than football because players use their hands?

Just have competitive piano playing, if you want to show off what hands can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pye9RgJ9_NY
  • focuszing723
    Yes, impressive and a good display of the best limbs. It's not a sport though and consequently doesn't improve physical fitness. I'm all for the sh1tter limbs moving Humans around in sport but the hands should do the important parts and as thus should be the top sports that people follow.
  • First.Aspect
    Or just follow basketball.
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2022
    That's a slam dunk there and is popular in the US. Still, for the rest of the world?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,196

No, but it's primary use was to save the feet.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet

That's a slam dunk there and is popular in America. Still, for the rest of the world?

Well, since it seems to be a thing for you, you could try inventing one, while everyone else just watches darts, or bowls, or the international nose-picking championships. Everyone gets a bogey.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,424

Not a fan of pro cycling then?
  • focuszing723
    They aren't the most followed sport though. It's quite frankly disrespectful people using remote controls and typing thier love for a sh1tter limbed sport. I can't take this any further expect to say I know I'm right and my Hands agree in the form of text.
  • briantrumpet

They aren't the most followed sport though. It's quite frankly disrespectful people using remote controls and typing thier love for a sh1tter limbed sport. I can't take this any further expect to say I know I'm right and my Hands agree in the form of text.

Perhaps it's an indication that using hands in sport isn't necessarily the clincher for most people.
  • First.Aspect

Perhaps it's an indication that using hands in sport isn't necessarily the clincher for most people.
    I think it's more that if you are into team sports (a) a round ball has a pleasing correlation between input and output and (b) legs are stronger than arms and so gan give a more spectacular impetus to a ball.

This rules out basketball and rugby (and other running into each other sports).

Bat and ball sports are good, and quite popular in some parts of the world.

Question is, is cricket actually more popular than football?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492

I may be biased, but I think that the goalkeeper is by far the most skilled position on the pitch anyway. Utilising the whole of the body effectively
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,208
    Cricket and Table tennis requires exceptional hand/eye co-ordination but you'll never be any good at it without good footwork.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2022
    It's a stupid debate in any case.
    "Why is this sport that I dislike so popular?"
    "Because it is the sport that the most amount of people enjoy."

More suited to the unpopular opinions thread.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

Cricket and Table tennis requires exceptional hand/eye co-ordination but you'll never be any good at it without good footwork.

You should pass this information on to the England selectors.
  • pinno

pinno said:

You should pass this information on to the England selectors.
    I was thinking something along those lines.
  • pinno
    Tweet Wout van Aert and tell him that his limb's are sh.it.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited January 2022
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59951126

This article was previously reporting -20C in the headline and now changed to -4F

I know Brexit meant we were free to use whatever measures we wanted, but I always thought Celcius was the standard in the UK nowadays, not Farenheit
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Why is Football the top sport?

This is actually a really interesting question.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,540

A football is a relatively cheap thing to buy wherever you are in the world. Failing that a "football" can be fashioned from a ball of rags/a fuit/a tin can etc etc.

One ball, two kids, some kind of goal and football can be played anywhere, any time.

There are few sports that can be played so easily and cheaply.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • First.Aspect

A football is a relatively cheap thing to buy wherever you are in the world. Failing that a "football" can be fashioned from a ball of rags/a fuit/a tin can etc etc.

One ball, two kids, some kind of goal and football can be played anywhere, any time.

Boxing? All you need is two scousers.
  • rick_chasey

I mean the pro sport, not participation.
  • pblakeney

For the majority, play as a kid, watch as an adult.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2022
    pblakeney said:

For the majority, play as a kid, watch as an adult.
    Honestly? I think that has very little to do with it.