RGTCycling... New name for RoadGrandTours

N0bodyOfTheGoatN0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 3,859
edited September 2019 in Indoor training and turbo forum
https://www.rgtcycling.com/

Currently still free to use, existing users from RoadGrandTours still have same name/password, but you need to download the new build for your PC and your mobile from above link (~900MB/45MB respectively for Android).

Mobile app is essential, there are no options to change anything from the PC "game" itself. You link game to companion app each time you start game, using a pin code, companion app then acts like a remote control to change everything in game... Similar to the Zwift app, but more extreme requirement.

Literally just downloaded myself, I was aware by e-mail last weekend that a new build was coming, but it was only through visiting new site I saw the download links (I kept expecting my existing build to auto-update at start).

What's new?
There's at least two new courses, a TT based flat circuit in USA and this little unknown hill called Mont Ventoux (~25Km).
There's some "challenges" but menu screen doesn't make it clear what they are.
Few more options for customising your avatar's kit.
You now get a summary of your rider weight, bike weight (latter seems to be 7.7Kg for all bikes at mo) and total weight... So I'm going to try negatively "weight doping," adding ~8Kg to my actual weight, to get a total weight similar to me heading out to the real South Downs cat4 hills for a few hours on my Cube with two 1.5l water bottles. :twisted:

Now to download game on laptop I use for turbo (just looked at it on my PC a little while ago), get changed and see how this...
================
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Formerly known as NitrousOxideUK (used new forum settings to sync name with my STW account alias)

• Interesting!

I gave RGT a whirl a while back and found it much more "realistic" than Zwift, if that makes sense for a virtual cycling app (drafting was more complex, auto braking around corners, etc). This is a plus or minus, depending on what you want from your indoor cycling! It certainly had potential back then even with only a handful of people using it.

Not a fan of needing to use the mobile app as well though. It's one extra thing I need (and need to keep charged) to take with me to the garage. I prefer simplicity.
  • Had a little play yesterday, found pairing more temperamental, then annoyingly lost a 30min session up the Ventoux foothills.
    ================
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Formerly known as NitrousOxideUK (used new forum settings to sync name with my STW account alias)
  • super_davosuper_davo Posts: 473
    I gave it a go this morning too... I can see myself using it quite a bit whilst its free, because it has some really good points.
    Graphics are excellent, especially on the Canary Wharf crit. The sprint segments are a fun way of getting some intervals in. I did the Passo del Stelvio and the gradient changes were good. Controlling everything on the phone works because you can chuck it in your jersey pocket and its always there.

However... it does have some annoying points. I control everything via my phone in my pain cave (aka a corner of my garage!) i.e. music, fans etc. When I switch apps to turn the fan on, the phone app stops and I stop in on the screen even though I'm still pedalling. It would do the same if I skipped a track on Poweramp, or even just turned the screen off like I do without thinking everytime I put the phone down. As it needs the screen on it burns through my phones battery. I'm not sure the phone is just a controller - I think it plays a pretty fundamental processing role.

So good concept, but they definitely need to reduce the reliance on the phone before I'd consider paying for it.
  • After all the ANT+ (and Bluetooth to an extent) issues yesterday with pairing to hrm/turbo (even trying the 4iiii power meter too), it was good as gold a little while ago.

Full Ventoux with ANT+, I cannot remember the last time I had to dig so deep to complete a climb virtually or in the real world, using my current easiest gear (34/32) so much in the second half... And that was trying to pace the first hour, not doing anything too silly in terms of effort!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2275018882/overview
    ================
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo

• AlejandrosdogAlejandrosdog Posts: 2,007
    After all the ANT+ (and Bluetooth to an extent) issues yesterday with pairing to hrm/turbo (even trying the 4iiii power meter too), it was good as gold a little while ago.

Full Ventoux with ANT+, I cannot remember the last time I had to dig so deep to complete a climb virtually or in the real world, using my current easiest gear (34/32) so much in the second half... And that was trying to pace the first hour, not doing anything too silly in terms of effort!

I think rgt I s great my personal pain preference e is the stelvio I seem to get mor out doing that than on the road.
  • AlejandrosdogAlejandrosdog Posts: 2,007
    super_davo wrote:
    I gave it a go this morning too... I can see myself using it quite a bit whilst its free, because it has some really good points.
    Graphics are excellent, especially on the Canary Wharf crit. The sprint segments are a fun way of getting some intervals in. I did the Passo del Stelvio and the gradient changes were good. Controlling everything on the phone works because you can chuck it in your jersey pocket and its always there.

However... it does have some annoying points. I control everything via my phone in my pain cave (aka a corner of my garage!) i.e. music, fans etc. When I switch apps to turn the fan on, the phone app stops and I stop in on the screen even though I'm still pedalling. It would do the same if I skipped a track on Poweramp, or even just turned the screen off like I do without thinking everytime I put the phone down. As it needs the screen on it burns through my phones battery. I'm not sure the phone is just a controller - I think it plays a pretty fundamental processing role.

So good concept, but they definitely need to reduce the reliance on the phone before I'd consider paying for it.

I don’t even need my phone to run rgt?
  • itboffinitboffin Posts: 19,445
    After all the ANT+ (and Bluetooth to an extent) issues yesterday with pairing to hrm/turbo (even trying the 4iiii power meter too), it was good as gold a little while ago.

I think rgt I s great my personal pain preference e is the stelvio I seem to get mor out doing that than on the road.

Did the Stelvio last night, that hurt a lot! at one point i thought damn i need a gel :lol:

I might try the Ventoux route tonight and not bother with the descending, that was just silly, scenic mind but silly.

or i could go out and ride the club chain-gang :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The censored Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • l33boyl33boy Posts: 57
    edited December 2019
    Have used RGT in 2018 and early 2019 but this year I had to use the new 'app'...
    I did get the app to sync with all ant+ stuff and Tacx Genius smart (eventually) but my power wouldn't show on the RGT screen? (HDTV)
    Showed in the app on my phone along with everything else but not on the screen I watch when riding... so bailed and went back to TTS4 for Ventoux :)
    Bike: 5.8Kgs!
    Me: 92Kgs!!!
  • Not tried it yet myself, but a "big" new update has been released, includes new features such as structured training; create/participate in group events; use gpx files to create a route to ride; stability/compatibility/physics improvements; improved Cap Formentor route.

Still free beta as far as I'm aware, you need a "screen" app (the game) for your main device and a "remote" app for your mobile. Mac and Windows versions.

https://www.rgtcycling.com/

https://www.facebook.com/RGTcycling/ (nothing new there about update at time of writing, but I've just downloaded the Windows screen app on my laptop and a remote app patch for my Android mobile).
    ================
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo

• zest28zest28 Posts: 82
    edited December 2019
    I like Zwift more to be honest but that is just me.

Also I don’t understand why these type of apps have such poor graphics. It is 2019 instead of 1999.