RGTCycling... New name for RoadGrandTours

N0bodyOfTheGoat
N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
edited September 2019 in Indoor training and turbo forum
https://www.rgtcycling.com/

Currently still free to use, existing users from RoadGrandTours still have same name/password, but you need to download the new build for your PC and your mobile from above link (~900MB/45MB respectively for Android).

Mobile app is essential, there are no options to change anything from the PC "game" itself. You link game to companion app each time you start game, using a pin code, companion app then acts like a remote control to change everything in game... Similar to the Zwift app, but more extreme requirement.

Literally just downloaded myself, I was aware by e-mail last weekend that a new build was coming, but it was only through visiting new site I saw the download links (I kept expecting my existing build to auto-update at start).

What's new?
There's at least two new courses, a TT based flat circuit in USA and this little unknown hill called Mont Ventoux (~25Km).
There's some "challenges" but menu screen doesn't make it clear what they are.
Few more options for customising your avatar's kit.
You now get a summary of your rider weight, bike weight (latter seems to be 7.7Kg for all bikes at mo) and total weight... So I'm going to try negatively "weight doping," adding ~8Kg to my actual weight, to get a total weight similar to me heading out to the real South Downs cat4 hills for a few hours on my Cube with two 1.5l water bottles. :twisted:

Now to download game on laptop I use for turbo (just looked at it on my PC a little while ago), get changed and see how this...
================
2020 Voodoo Marasa
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Comments

• Interesting!

I gave RGT a whirl a while back and found it much more "realistic" than Zwift, if that makes sense for a virtual cycling app (drafting was more complex, auto braking around corners, etc). This is a plus or minus, depending on what you want from your indoor cycling! It certainly had potential back then even with only a handful of people using it.

Not a fan of needing to use the mobile app as well though. It's one extra thing I need (and need to keep charged) to take with me to the garage. I prefer simplicity.
  • Had a little play yesterday, found pairing more temperamental, then annoyingly lost a 30min session up the Ventoux foothills.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,132
    I gave it a go this morning too... I can see myself using it quite a bit whilst its free, because it has some really good points.
    Graphics are excellent, especially on the Canary Wharf crit. The sprint segments are a fun way of getting some intervals in. I did the Passo del Stelvio and the gradient changes were good. Controlling everything on the phone works because you can chuck it in your jersey pocket and its always there.

However... it does have some annoying points. I control everything via my phone in my pain cave (aka a corner of my garage!) i.e. music, fans etc. When I switch apps to turn the fan on, the phone app stops and I stop in on the screen even though I'm still pedalling. It would do the same if I skipped a track on Poweramp, or even just turned the screen off like I do without thinking everytime I put the phone down. As it needs the screen on it burns through my phones battery. I'm not sure the phone is just a controller - I think it plays a pretty fundamental processing role.

So good concept, but they definitely need to reduce the reliance on the phone before I'd consider paying for it.
  • After all the ANT+ (and Bluetooth to an extent) issues yesterday with pairing to hrm/turbo (even trying the 4iiii power meter too), it was good as gold a little while ago.

Full Ventoux with ANT+, I cannot remember the last time I had to dig so deep to complete a climb virtually or in the real world, using my current easiest gear (34/32) so much in the second half... And that was trying to pace the first hour, not doing anything too silly in terms of effort!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2275018882/overview
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    After all the ANT+ (and Bluetooth to an extent) issues yesterday with pairing to hrm/turbo (even trying the 4iiii power meter too), it was good as gold a little while ago.

Full Ventoux with ANT+, I cannot remember the last time I had to dig so deep to complete a climb virtually or in the real world, using my current easiest gear (34/32) so much in the second half... And that was trying to pace the first hour, not doing anything too silly in terms of effort!

I think rgt I s great my personal pain preference e is the stelvio I seem to get mor out doing that than on the road.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    super_davo wrote:
    I gave it a go this morning too... I can see myself using it quite a bit whilst its free, because it has some really good points.
    Graphics are excellent, especially on the Canary Wharf crit. The sprint segments are a fun way of getting some intervals in. I did the Passo del Stelvio and the gradient changes were good. Controlling everything on the phone works because you can chuck it in your jersey pocket and its always there.

However... it does have some annoying points. I control everything via my phone in my pain cave (aka a corner of my garage!) i.e. music, fans etc. When I switch apps to turn the fan on, the phone app stops and I stop in on the screen even though I'm still pedalling. It would do the same if I skipped a track on Poweramp, or even just turned the screen off like I do without thinking everytime I put the phone down. As it needs the screen on it burns through my phones battery. I'm not sure the phone is just a controller - I think it plays a pretty fundamental processing role.

So good concept, but they definitely need to reduce the reliance on the phone before I'd consider paying for it.

I don’t even need my phone to run rgt?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    After all the ANT+ (and Bluetooth to an extent) issues yesterday with pairing to hrm/turbo (even trying the 4iiii power meter too), it was good as gold a little while ago.

I think rgt I s great my personal pain preference e is the stelvio I seem to get mor out doing that than on the road.

Did the Stelvio last night, that hurt a lot! at one point i thought damn i need a gel :lol:

I might try the Ventoux route tonight and not bother with the descending, that was just silly, scenic mind but silly.

or i could go out and ride the club chain-gang :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • l33boy
    l33boy Posts: 63
    edited December 2019
    Have used RGT in 2018 and early 2019 but this year I had to use the new 'app'...
    I did get the app to sync with all ant+ stuff and Tacx Genius smart (eventually) but my power wouldn't show on the RGT screen? (HDTV)
    Showed in the app on my phone along with everything else but not on the screen I watch when riding... so bailed and went back to TTS4 for Ventoux :)
    Bike: 5.8Kgs!
    Me: 92Kgs!!!
  • Not tried it yet myself, but a "big" new update has been released, includes new features such as structured training; create/participate in group events; use gpx files to create a route to ride; stability/compatibility/physics improvements; improved Cap Formentor route.

Still free beta as far as I'm aware, you need a "screen" app (the game) for your main device and a "remote" app for your mobile. Mac and Windows versions.

https://www.rgtcycling.com/

https://www.facebook.com/RGTcycling/ (nothing new there about update at time of writing, but I've just downloaded the Windows screen app on my laptop and a remote app patch for my Android mobile).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited December 2019
    I like Zwift more to be honest but that is just me.

Also I don’t understand why these type of apps have such poor graphics. It is 2019 instead of 1999.
  • You can now get premium features for free during a pandemic promo. Yet to try myself, been a while since I turbo trained in rgt, worth a look though...

Send them a Strava route builder gpx file of a favourite linear route and they should produce a "magic road" representation of it.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I’ve had my first proper go at this this week. What a ‘laugh’.

Yesterday I thought I’d ride up ventoux, managed about 10km in 45 minutes and had to bail to get ready for work. Today I took part in a group ride around the paterberg look. Jeez, I need to lose some weight.

In better news my power output wasn’t horrific, I’m just too fat for it. I can’t really sustain much more than 2 W/kg for any length of time.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Does RGT still let you continue a route from where you left off? Two years ago during beta, I often used to split climbing Stelvio Pass over a couple of sessions while doing z4+ intervals.

The longer climbs like Stelvio and Ventoux can certainly catch you out if you revolve your threshold effort training around 20-30mins and base your FTP off 95% of your best 20mins MAP.

Paterburg had some really odd RGT physics last time I tried it, whereby it was actively slowing my avatar and diregarding power output on what are very minor road kinks, plus that nasty incline that hits ~20% towards the lap end is brutal!

There aren't that many default courses in RGT and they could really do with a route or two that has inclines a little less challenging than Tuscany, without being practically pancake-flat like Canary Wharf and the Berlin 8-Crit.

@prawny I'm sure that if you started a structured workout program, you would make big W/Kg gains, you used to do ~200 miles a week commuting IIRC before ditching the cycle for something with an engine ~15 months ago.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • prawny
    My smart turbo came yesterday so I had a quick go on the paterberg on 100% feedback. Feck me. I thought one of my eyes was going to come out. I did one lap at 100% and 2 at 70% which was bad enough.

I don’t know if you can pick up where you left off on the longer ones, might have a look later. Going on a group ride at half 6 in the morning before work, then I might have to pay for zwift for a training plan to make some proper progress.

It’s definitely given me some incentive to lose weight and get riding again.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    prawny said:

Going on a group ride at half 6 in the morning before work

Spooky, assuming that is RGT and Pienza, that's the ride I will be on too :)

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • prawny
    Oh hi!!

Daniel_b of course, it makes sense now 😂

I’m still suffering after this morning. I’m going to take the weekend off I think.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    RGT is betamax.

I am new to smart trainers (insurance against near inevitable further restrictions) so I've done free trials on this and Zwift.

Software is way better than Zwift. Zwift has me racing up 8% hills at 20-22 kph. RGT has me down at 15-16 which is much more me, sadly. Graphics better, instant response to gradient change better. But no one is on RGT so it will die.

Perhaps making it free for a few months will help. Having some more loops would be good too. Out and back rides are more for the autistic among us.
  • prawny
    It does feel a bit Betamax, the only issue is the lack of users currently, it’s not so bad at sometimes, I’ve heard or others having 70+ riders on the same group ride but I know that doesn’t compare with the thousands on zwift. When I’m in early in the morning I barely see more than 4 other people and they all fly past me

I much prefer the real roads to the zwift game style, but maybe they should have fewer routes to force more people onto the same routes like zwift did. And then rotate them on a daily basis.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • First.Aspect
    Mmm. The Stelvio wasn't totally deserted today on there. I wonder if the courses are a bit challenging, as well. That's a good hour plus without much workout variety. Just pain. You have to be pretty keen because there's no let up. Is the Piacenza course more crowded?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    I decided to try it for the first time today... Got it all set up and paired, went into the world, and the camera was pointing completely left, just showing the side of the road. Trying to change the camera in the app just resulted in an error message. I quickly gave up and went back to Zwift.
  • First.Aspect
    Yeah it's a bit buggy. On the switchbacks today there was also a significant lag between gradient and resistance.
  • daniel_b
    prawny said:

Oh hi!!

Daniel_b of course, it makes sense now 😂

I’m still suffering after this morning. I’m going to take the weekend off I think.

What is your username on RGT Prawny, I'll keep an eye out :-)

I had a mare on Saturday, on our group ride I had organised, but pleased it was me rathe than anyone else.

The first smallish issue that is known about and they are working on a fix, is that sometimes the scheduled events start at different times for different people - so in my ride, think 4 of the 6 of us went off 45 seconds early.

Once I caught them up, I freewheeled to allow us to regroup, but then noticed my speed was increasing, and they were having to work super hard to catch up - this was uphill!

The worst bit was still to come - randomly despite the power and cadence showing fine on the screen, my avatars speed would drop, and then completely stop, and put a foot down.
    You can imagine how frustrating in a group ride that is, but I also tried straight after in a 'free' ride, and it behaved the same, though not as frequent.

I'm assuming something was interrupting the signal for the Ant+, so am debating moving from Ant+ to BLE, definitely for the turbo, and potentially also for the hr strap (I have a tickr sat around) and cadence - I have one of those RPM cadence sensors from Halfords that ITB spotted which I could bring into action.

I currently run the Ant dongle on a 3m extension, so it is right beside me and the trainer, so am thinking to basically swap that over, and put a Bluetooth dongle in the place of the Ant+ one - sound plan?

Despite a very frustrating ride on Saturday, I am sticking with it, and will try again this week.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    edited April 2020
    No specific to RGT a general smart turbo thing to check, that you dont have multi devices connected (paired) to the trainer, like a phone & tablet or laptop at the same time, like you I use an ANT+ USB stick for training apps and bluetooth now just for mouse & keyboard.

On my new Kickr core it was extremely sensitive to having BT from the phone and ANT+ from my laptop at the same time, likewise for the Tacx Vortex.

To be sure i have BT all my devices when using the turbo, the Halfords cadence sensor is way better than whatever method the kickr uses, no dropouts or erratic spikes.

I'm planning on replacing all my Garmin ones with them, its a shame I cant find the equivalent speed sensor to match.

Oh and in case you havent noticed @cjcp @jonginge & Matt Hammond are on RGT now
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prawny
    @daniel_b it’s Lorne

I’ve had no issues on RGT on an iPhone and iPad combo, connecting an elite Drivo and 4iiii precision via BLE

Had a go on zwift tonight for half an hour, it was fun, I like the fact that you can chose your route on the fly but I really like the realism of RGT.

I agree with ITB though, the stelvio is a brutal slog, I rode it with Daniel_b and another guy on Friday morning (until I got dropped) and that made it fun, but it was hard. Really really hard. Not going to do that more than once a week yet.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • daniel_b
    prawny said:

@daniel_b it’s Lorne

I’ve had no issues on RGT on an iPhone and iPad combo, connecting an elite Drivo and 4iiii precision via BLE

Had a go on zwift tonight for half an hour, it was fun, I like the fact that you can chose your route on the fly but I really like the realism of RGT.

I agree with ITB though, the stelvio is a brutal slog, I rode it with Daniel_b and another guy on Friday morning (until I got dropped) and that made it fun, but it was hard. Really really hard. Not going to do that more than once a week yet.

Aha, for some reason I had decided you were nobodyofthegoat!

Perhaps I am weird, I do like over unders for a start,but I find I really enjoy those long unrelenting climbs, where you can just get into a rhythym, and well, suffer basically!
    I have yet to try Ventoux

ITB, I didn't know you and others from here (or ex from here) were also on RGT - maybe we should have a BR organised ride?
    In other news, I have lost a kg in the last week, so that will help up the 'hills'

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    Its only going to work for a group of roughly similar w/kg - particularly on those climbs. the ranges I've seen on RGT are "1.5-3 w/kg" which is a pretty wide range.
  • daniel_b
    True, but that is the same for any ride in the real world too.

I find on the other group rides, if there are enough people it naturally splits into groups of similar ability, all be it less relevant for a climb, but more so for one of the flat routes like Borego.

Personally, when climbing, I like it when I have someone who is able to push more w\kg than me, as it gives me motivation to push harder, and try and keep the deficit to a certain amount.

If we wanted to be more technical about it, we could all ride a route, see what our best time is, and then set off at intervals, so the slowest person goes first, and then see who can or can't catch them from behind, as they also go off at intervals representative of their best ride times.

Just an idea anyway.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    edited April 2020
    1.05 up the Stelvio. That *might* not be the current KOM. Do I need to have set off already?
  • daniel_b
    edited April 2020
    Nope, 1:17 here, so I would set off 12 minutes before you :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    Think a group one might be fun.

The next time we get bad weather, I'll try the Ventoux - that's got to be at least 2 hours up and down. But tbh I think I'll end up on Zwift sooner or later.