RGTCycling... New name for RoadGrandTours

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good man. I found it to be a good mix of abilities (although I've had some decent placings, I've been way off the guys at the front), and there's always a good battle wherever you are in the field.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    Was there any specific races you took part in cjcp, or just the organised\publicised RGT ones?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cjcp
    Just the organised ones. I've ridden races on the Stelvio, Paterberg, Cap Formentor, and Pienza courses so far. Huge fun! That said, I'm on the limit most of the race.

The Pienza and Cap Formentor routes are probably my favourites at the moment.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    P.S. we're trying to organise a TT series using our club's 10 mile course near Dorking, but I've not yet been able to join one.

I did a Zwift group ride as part of the Tour for All event this morning, and our club is using this for our separate TT/stage race series.

In. Pieces.

Averaged 313 watts to try to keep up with whipper-snappers who can pump out mega-watts compared to their weight. That said, my hardest ride was a race on the RGT Pienza course when a clubmate and I were fighting it out.

I'm too old for this.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    This looks interesting - it's been a while since I rode the Stelvio on RGT, but might go back on.

https://www.rgtcycling.com/our-giro
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    The Giro looks fun, my only real concern is that some of the hillier stages will take too much time to do before work. 30 relatively flat KM’s is one thing, but climbing for 30k takes me forever 😂
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • kingstongraham
    I already have had flashbacks to when I rode the Fedaia for real. Took me forever.
  • cjcp
    Ooo, this Giro looks interesting.

FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2020
    Just got back on there - like the scenery, but not sure if it's just my pc that means it's a bit jerky, and other riders jump about forward and back so I can be 10m behind and catching someone, then they are suddenly 30m away, then behind me!

Prefer to just use the pc too for the connections, to be honest rather than the phone control. It changed from pm to turbo for power at one point and I had to swap it back, and also lost ant connection to turbo, but Bluetooth was ok. Will stick with it for the giro, see if it grows on me.
  • cjcp
    The surroundings and scenery are not quite as fluid as RGT, and some inclines seem to have a delayed effect, but I found the more I ride the course, the more I can anticipate the changes and pedal accordingly.

I don't have a smart trainer, so am reliant on the wifi. And a couple of times I've missed races because the server connection was lost - and on one occasion, this happened 300m from the top of the Stelvio race route and on for a PB. I wasn't overly chuffed about that.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kingstongraham
    I'll admit to being a bit disappointed in how it felt riding the first Giro stage without the scenery. It's OK, but not sure I'll be carrying on riding those when it is just going to be an hour of going up a featureless relentless incline like it will be up Etna. And my turbo doesn't react to changes in gradient on screen as quickly as it does on Zwift.

The fully immersive roads are great, the "magic road" not so much for me.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I was wondering how the magic road thing worked with visuals
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    Must give some of these "magic roads" Giro stages a try to see what the detail is like.

I really dislike having to run two tech devices (mobile and laptop) to "play" RGT, this change ~13 months ago was very negative IMO.

Have they solved the uneccessary braking zones on very minor road bends, where you cannot apply power?

Have they solved the false, significantly inflated best 20min power readings from some courses being sent to Strava, which then mean other sites such as https://power-meter.cc/home and https://cricklesorg.wordpress.com/ give you false automatic FTP estimate increases?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • prawny
    I wanted to do the giro, but it the unknown of how long it will take me to do the stages puts me off. Did the first stage TT without a warm up, planned to have another go at it and half way up the climb to the line I decided I didn’t want to!

I’m paying for Zwift too, so that’s an incentive to keep zwifting, also I seem to have been sucked in totally by the gamification 😣
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

I'd be up for that.
    ... problem is our weather here in the east of Scotland has merited a few 2 hour rides lately so I've not been back on. Plus have to keep factoring in the rowing machine days...but if we are further locked down or the weather is shyte I reckon we'd beat the hour mark just by striving for man points.

First race up the Stelvio. 1.01. Buggeration.

Started out too fast trying to hang on to some people hovering just below 4 w/kg. Stoopid.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Is there anyone who has tried both RGT and Rouvy that would care to opine on relative pros and cons?
  • daniel_b
    There is meant to be a Magic roads 2.0 coming out very soon, not sure what that will bring.

I've been taking part in the SSR Tuesday evening 18:30 race, pretty brutal, and staying in the front group and benefitting from draft is the key to a better time, but I've dropped off both times after only 10 minutes :-(
    If my garage is not over 30c tomorrow, I will have another go, presumably if I just hammer away at it I might get better!
    I seem to finish in about the 'top' 75% - better than last!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • There was an update I grabbed yesterday for the Android control app, which also included the announcement of a price reduction for the premium version to £6.99 per month.

Does that mean the free premium use during Covid-19 has now ended?

Do any of you have Elevate (formerly known as Stravistix) installed? There used to be an issue where Elevate would report an inflated "best 20mins power" figure on the ride summary page compared to what was shown on the Strava "power curve" page for the ride... But this inflated figure was being sent to www.crickles.org and https://power-meter.cc/home , messing up the automatic FTP data at both those sites.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Free Premium has ended, yes. The free standard version is still available, and adequate if you prefer not to spend the £6.99
  • gethinceri

• prawny
    Is there a separate thread for the tour de France doodad? Anyone taking part on here? I’m planning on doing all of the stages I can, the 6.30 start works pretty well for me.

I’ve just rebuilt the turbo up in the garage of our temporary house specially 😬
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Hi All.
    Any of you guys who have posted on this thread last year still using RGT ??
    If so what do you thonk of the platform etc.
    T.
  • Not tried it in a while, but there was another update recently adding a new route (Dirty Reiver?).

Still want to see if the 20min power stats it passes to Strava/Crickles etc. are inflated, something I regularly experienced ages ago.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    Hey @tonysj , posted on your other thread, but will copy below.
    No inflated power stats from my Neo that's for sure!
    And yes Dirty Reiver is the latest real road, and I rode a couple of laps on it this morning, and very nice is is too - rolling terrain.

RGT is awesome Tony, really good imho - I joined on the free membership, but before christmas swapped to the £6.99 a month premium membership.

I just today started a 12 stage event, where we are racing in teams of 6, over 12 stages, spread from Jan 2nd - 17th, with Mondays and Fridays as rest days.

You should join the RGT facebook page and ask some questions on there as well, but I'd say start with the free membership and see what you make of it.

IIRC there are 9 real roads, and as a free member you have access to 3 of them at any none time, and I think they change the available ones periodically.
    You can also take part in any of the organised events, either by RGT themselves or individuals.

If you are a paid member you can ride all courses whenever you want, schedule races, and create 'magic roads' from gpx files - scenery is auto generated, but if the elevation and gpx plotting is accurate you can basically ride any road in the world.
    I did it with some routes I knew well, and they matched up really well.

I've never ridden zwift, but from reading the comments on the pages, it would seem that a large percentage of people who have zwifted prefer RGT for it's realism, both in terms of braking and drafting effect.

Personally I always prefer simulators, and RGT has no power ups, invisibility aids etc, which I have always thought to be super weird, but maybe that is just me.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gethinceri
    It is outstanding, even the free version.
    Plenty of haters but they’re mainly those who can’t sort out a stable broadband connection.
    £6.99 well spent if you want the paid sub.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Thanks daniel_b , gethinceri. I rode the Cap Formentor this afternoon but not sure if i have the settings right at the moment so ice posted on their FaceBook page.
    Got to say I really enjoyed it but think as i altered the slope to 50% i didnt get the gradient effect as i paced 220 watts for the whole ride and the only thjng i noticed that changed was my speed. Effort and watts were the same.
    I fancy joining some of the events as although there must have been near 100 riders on the Cap F course they were well spaced out so it was difficult chasing riders down.
    Got to agree for a free platform its great.
    Thanks guys.
  • gethinceri
    click on the power tab and make sure your turbo is connected as “trainer”
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021
    Recent addition to the real roads - Leuven:

https://cyclingnews.com/news/rgt-cycling-announces-new-city-of-leuven-route-for-world-championships/

Ridden it a couple of times now, pretty good imho - not that bothered (As in I don't really pay attention to them) about the graphics to be honest, but they are detailed, and the terrain is nice and varied, so makes for a pretty interesting loop.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • wrthompson88521FN8Ns
    edited October 2021
    I tried RGT last night, I uploaded one of my routes I ride on the road with about 400ft of climbing, for some reason RGT changed it to 209m of climbing and seemed to exaggerate some gradients.

Does it had wind simulation? I'd like to have a strong south westerly like I'm used to on the road, I can see the benefits of this if it had wind and can get the elevation accurate, could help pacing on the real outdoor ride.

Seemed to be riding too fast spinning out doing hardly any power compared to Zwift.

I hate this manage on mobile app and just have a screen on the PC, would rather just one app on the PC.
  • Having to use two devices, in my case a laptop and my android mobile, is a bind. In beta it was all on laptop.

Crazy when the likes of Zwift and Rouvy can all be done on one device, I often turbo just using my slightly dated Xiaomi Mi A2.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo