Team SKY to be known as Team Ineos.

Comments

• ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Yeah it's payday for Rod isn't it, nothing left to prove! Interesting that with Nibbles reportedly moving to Trek, Bahrain are looking a little bit light on GC talent for next year. Expect to see them throwing some cash about this summer
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    He has helped create a team that has won BIG. Grand Tours with 3 riders, Olympic medals, WC. However, he is known to be somewhat 'direct' in his methods which some riders like and others are heading for the door either forced or voluntary. Be interesting to see what he achieves.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Yeah it's payday for Rod isn't it, nothing left to prove! Interesting that with Nibbles reportedly moving to Trek, Bahrain are looking a little bit light on GC talent for next year. Expect to see them throwing some cash about this summer

...or using Rod to bring on some of their youngsters?
    Half man, Half bike
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Ridgerider wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

...or using Rod to bring on some of their youngsters?

Perhaps, they don't strike me as much of a team that's really looking for an academy type feel, 6 riders at 25 or under currently as opposed to 11 who are over 30, no clear links to any sort of feeder team or national academy.

Although maybe employing someone to teach Mohoric how not to attack would be a good idea
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Oh dear.....this’ll be a good start.....

https://road.cc/content/news/259723-tho ... xt-weekend

And so it continues!!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Shipley wrote:

And so it continues!!
    Maybe it will be like that 10,000 man Brexit march Nigel Farage did.

Surely making thousands of single use masks which will mostly end up in landfill isn't very bright for environmentalists.

And the idea that the sport of cycling, which has a carbon footprint the size of Godzilla, is being used as 'greenwashing' is always hilarious
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    RichN95 wrote:
    Shipley wrote:

And so it continues!!
    Maybe it will be like that 10,000 man Brexit march Nigel Farage did.

Surely making thousands of single use masks which will mostly end up in landfill isn't very bright for environmentalists.

And the idea that the sport of cycling, which has a carbon footprint the size of Godzilla, is being used as 'greenwashing' is always hilarious

Yeah, sort of like if this was a protest.

extreme-sailing-series-los-cabos-2018-day-three-ineos-re_64773.jpg?

Not that anybody was much bothered by Sir Ben's lot.....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Shelley Bath, a founder member of Frack Free Allerton Bywater in south-east Leeds, which is planning a protest in Kippax, said: “It is a disgrace that a race promoting one of the greenest forms of transport is being sponsored by one of the dirtiest industries.”

Didn't realise Ineos were sponsoring the race as well as the team :)
  • bobmcstuff
    Also totally ignoring how much oil money is in cycling already...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Shelley Bath, a founder member of Frack Free Allerton Bywater in south-east Leeds, which is planning a protest in Kippax, said: “It is a disgrace that a race promoting one of the greenest forms of transport is being sponsored by one of the dirtiest industries.”

Although I’m not keen on Fr*cking I would have thought Kippax could actually be improved by Fr*cking. As a friend of mine once mused it’s a cross between Kippers and Tampax.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    bobmcstuff wrote:

You'd think if you were going in the media trying to publicise your pet hobby horse you'd check your facts to avoid looking thick as sh*t (unless you're the US President or an ERG member of course).
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2019
    The one thing I have learned since Ineos came into cycling, through further reading, is that the documentary clip that I saw with the burning tap water, which largely informed my understanding of fraking, is a load of crap.

Fossil fuels still need to be phased out but in the meantime I'd rather that we sourced our energy locally than propping up some awful regimes.

He should still pay his tax though.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    RichN95 wrote:
    The one thing I have learned since Ineos came into cycling, through further reading, is that the documentary clip that I saw with the burning tap water, which largely informed my understanding of fraking, is a load of crap.

Fossil fuels still need to be fazed out but in the meantime I'd rather that we sourced our energy locally than propping up some awful regimes.

He should still pay his tax though.

well admittedly most people probably got that idea about burning tap water reinforced just from that Simpsons episode, so Sky/Fox were spreading fake news :lol:

we could go nuclear fueled...

but as for the tax thing, he pays as much as he is obliged to by law, if we dont think thats enough, change the law, dont play the man as an excuse for it.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    isnt fracking just a part of what Ineos does. Arent they big in other areas too ? I thought they were a chemical company mainly.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    RichN95 wrote:
    Fossil fuels still need to be fazed out but in the meantime I'd rather that we sourced our energy locally than propping up some awful regimes.

Artisanal petrol?

And by "sourced" you mean drill, right?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    i understand the fracking thing but why arent the protesters at ANYTHING where fossil fuel is used be it car/boat/plane/power station. Get on a plane to your holiday - it's fuelled by oil as are ships that deliver all our needs to to the ports. I wonder if the same protesters are up in arms abourt the Niger Delta/Shell, Libya/BP, Aramco etc. Fracking is just one branch of Ineos. It's a petro chemical conglemerate.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    amrushton wrote:
    i understand the ******* thing but why arent the protesters at ANYTHING where fossil fuel is used be it car/boat/plane/power station. Get on a plane to your holiday - it's fuelled by oil as are ships that deliver all our needs to to the ports. I wonder if the same protesters are up in arms abourt the Niger Delta/Shell, Libya/BP, Aramco etc. ******* is just one branch of Ineos. It's a petro chemical conglemerate.

Are you asking why protestors from Yorkshire are protesting in Yorkshire about fraking in Yorkshire?
  • shipley
    amrushton wrote:
    i understand the ******* thing but why arent the protesters at ANYTHING where fossil fuel is used be it car/boat/plane/power station. Get on a plane to your holiday - it's fuelled by oil as are ships that deliver all our needs to to the ports. I wonder if the same protesters are up in arms abourt the Niger Delta/Shell, Libya/BP, Aramco etc. ******* is just one branch of Ineos. It's a petro chemical conglemerate.

They're 'single use' protesters, one thing at a time. I wonder if they will arrive in that pink boat from Oxford Circus or are they saving that for the Giro ?
  • RichN95.
    Shipley wrote:

They're 'single use' protesters?
    So after one protest they get thrown into the ocean?
  • shipley
    RichN95 wrote:
    Shipley wrote:

They're 'single use' protesters?
    So after one protest they get thrown into the ocean?

:D Here’s hoping !!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    amrushton wrote:

Are you asking why protestors from Yorkshire are protesting in Yorkshire about fraking in Yorkshire?

Apart front the majority won't be from Yorkshire and will have only ever been to Yorkshire to protest about whatever thee latest protesting craze is.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bobmcstuff
    gsk82 wrote:
    amrushton wrote:

Apart front the majority won't be from Yorkshire and will have only ever been to Yorkshire to protest about whatever thee latest protesting craze is.
    I am not sure that's true, a lot of the quoted organisations are local and there is a lot of local opposition to fraking.

I am sure there will be some bussed in protestors as well though.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    All count as spectators. Good news for the sport.
  • Pross

Plus it vindicates Ineos sponsoring a cycling team, I'd never heard of them before despite their size and I suspect I'm in a majority. They've already gained a lot of publicity before anyone has sat on a bike in their team kit
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    Pross wrote:

Plus it vindicates Ineos sponsoring a cycling team, I'd never heard of them before despite their size and I suspect I'm in a majority. They've already gained a lot of publicity before anyone has sat on a bike in their team kit

Never heard of them/him either.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    We all like a graph don't we?

D5JnE7mXkAAKsUK.png
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Surprised Poles got so many.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

Early season Spanish races probably count for a lot of them.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

Not that many, only two more than Poels. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Richie Porte won 17 races there? That has really surprised me.