Team SKY to be known as Team Ineos.

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    edited March 2019
    While there was a brief period of indulging the desperate cycling journos and their "ooh, Team Sky! What if they can't find a new sponsor!?! IMAGINE!! IMAGINE!!!...hehe..." stories - thereby continuing the narrative of anything crap happening to them being good copy: I do now quite like the idea of Brailsford sipping on a post-Zwift session protein shake at 6:30am and reading the INEOS confirmation articles and frantically giving them (the journos) the "up yours" - a la Rick from the Young Ones...
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    I heard Ratcliffe had bought his board Pinarellos

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • ocdupalais
    I heard Ratcliffe had bought his board Pinarellos
    If they're board Pinarellos, they're almost certainly knock offs from China.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    inseine wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    I raise you Fukushima, Chernobyl, Three Mile Island...next...

So here's a summary of the debate so far:

Anti-nuclear poster: "nuclear is dangerous and kills lots of people and the planet"
    Pro-nuclear poster: "here are some actual stats that show that coal kills literally 500 times more people than nuclear"
    Anti-nuclear poster: "nuclear is dangerous and kills lots of people and the planet"

I don't have a horse in this argument but I do think you're slightly underestimating the cost of looking after the waste.

The waste is, in some instances unbelievably dangerous *for a very very very long time* - so much so there's a whole study into what symbols to use so that generations in 50,000 years time will still understand them.

That *is* expensive and is particularly damaging. There is also a security risk which adds to the cost, before you get to the cost of a meltdown in one in every 100 power stations or so.

https://www.ft.com/content/db87c16c-494 ... ab0a67014c

I don't have a horse in the race either, to be fair, but I think the stats only show a snapshot of any given day. Also, who is promoting coal?? The shear cost of dealing with the waste would pay for a huge number of solar panels and you never answered my question about the toxic waste associated with solar.

I’ve pretty much reached the limit of my knowledge on this.

WTF? This is the Internet. You never, ever admit a lack of knowledge - just make something up and keep repeating it, if someone questions you just use capitals and FACT until they believe you. Have you learned nothing from Coopster?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I wonder how much negative noise would be made if, say, a French team's ownership/sponsorship was taken over by a French petrochemical company.

What's that you say?

Oh.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    It never ceases to amaze me how some people get holier than though about things like oil and chemical companies whilst continuing to use the products.

Those who get upset about a team having a bigger budget than others astonish me as well (or at least those who suggest the answer is to reduce that team's budget rather than work out how other teams can attract similar sized backers instead of provincial businesses). Surely it would be better to have another 17 teams with sponsors prepared to spend the same as INEOS than to criticise the team that managed it? It would be even better if race organisers could get those sorts of sponsors interested, that's how the sport will thrive long term and be able to start looking at issues such as developing women's cycling. If INEOS was stepping in to back any of the other 17 teams the reaction would have been far different.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    As I mentioned, Ineos' line of work doesn't sit easy, but let's look at some of the other world tour teams' backing:
    State lotteries
    Big data
    Oppressive regimes
    Oligarchs

There's not too much moral high ground, is there?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    As I mentioned, Ineos' line of work doesn't sit easy, but let's look at some of the other world tour teams' backing:
    State lotteries
    Big data
    Oppressive regimes
    Oligarchs

There's not too much moral high ground, is there?
    As I've said previously, if people want to criticise Ineos or Ratcliffe for specific reasons (as I the first on this thread to do) then that's one thing, but to demonise the petrochemical industry when without it our quality of life would be unimaginably poorer is just stupid.

Just as some say that Ineos are 'greenwashing' their reputation, and maybe they are, so the social media virtual signallers are 'greenwashing' their first world consumerist lifestyles.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I wonder how much negative noise would be made if, say, a French team's ownership/sponsorship was taken over by a French petrochemical company.

What's that you say?

Oh.

Thank you for the opportunity to share my favourite portrayals of the French ruling class. No amount of evidence to the contrary shall sway me from this view.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt3eyeO0R94

And Lord Nooth... (please see Early Man, if you haven't already).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZKcKDY_rxg
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    awavey wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Pinarello made a post on their instagram stating they will be continuing with Team INEOS (as per contract probably). I'd expect both parties to resign that deal as well, since there really isn't a downside. The team will continue to be the best GT team for as long as Froome, Thomas, Bernal etc. are riding.

but Im sure I read in another post recently someone had posted an article from last December from a cycling mag,INEOS are actually the company that supplies Toray, the worlds largest maker of carbon fibre, with acrylonitrile, which is the core ingredient needed to make carbon fibre, and Toray happen to be Pinarellos exclusive partner, and supplier of a special carbon fibre with nanoalloy technology to make bike frames like the Dogma F8 with.

literally INEOS already help make Froomes bike...I dont think Pinarello are going to quit being their bike supplier.
    Yes I agree completely. I think I should have written re-sign and not resign. I meant I expect them to extend the current contract when it is up, since there is no downside for either party.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    I find it amusing stories saying that anti-fraking groups will protest the Tour of Yorkshire.

Who thinks that these protesters (who have a point) had ever heard of the Tour of Yorkshire or Teasm Sky/Ineos before a journalist rang them up for a quote?

Edit: Please note that the swear filter accepts fraking, so let's go with that instead of fra.cking.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    What about frakcing? Does the filter change that?

ETA: No it doesn’t.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I don't really give a frăck how you spell it, the opposition is typical environmentalist hysteria whatever way.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    RichN95 wrote:
    I find it amusing stories saying that anti-fraking groups will protest the Tour of Yorkshire.

Who thinks that these protesters (who have a point) had ever heard of the Tour of Yorkshire or Teasm Sky/Ineos before a journalist rang them up for a quote?

Edit: Please note that the swear filter accepts fraking, so let's go with that instead of fra.cking.
    Where I live in North Yorkshire the town puts on a display for the TdY and have quite a large organisation behind this. There is also a very significant anti fraking group.
    I would suspect that some people might be in both groups. I could easily be if I could be bothered :D
  • ocdupalais
    It never ceases to amaze me that people complain about chemical companies whilst they themselves have chemicals in them - and they complain about fr@cking but carry on standing on the same ground that these companies are fr@cking!
  • RichN95.
    Judging by social media and the cycling press, Brailsford has converted more people to radical environmentalism in one week than Caroline Lucas has managed in a lifetime.
  • davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 97
    RichN95 wrote:
    Judging by social media and the cycling press, Brailsford has converted more people to radical environmentalism in one week than Caroline Lucas has managed in a lifetime.

:lol:

Also the irony of all those social media posts coming from devices totally reliant on plastic/hydrocarbons, other chemicals and metals!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It would seem that Sir James was born in Lancashire. That alone will lead road closing protests.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Webboo wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Where I live in North Yorkshire the town puts on a display for the TdY and have quite a large organisation behind this. There is also a very significant anti fraking group.
    I would suspect that some people might be in both groups. I could easily be if I could be bothered :D

From the small subset of people that I know here in York I can confirm that there's an overlap, including at least a few people who I know are keen enough to have ridden out to watch roadside previously.
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    I am amused that people are upset about the new sponsor, especially environmentalists. Surely promoting cycling is as much of a carbon offset as you can get
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    liquor box wrote:
    I am amused that people are upset about the new sponsor, especially environmentalists. Surely promoting cycling is as much of a carbon offset as you can get

seriously? you honestly think that promoting cycling is behind this?

oh dear oh dear oh dear............
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    liquor box wrote:
    Doubt the Tour de France caravan is particularly carbon neutral :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    RichN95 wrote:

not just TDY but the worlds as well according to the Beeb, as Ineos sponsored riders will be taking part :roll: as you say how much of it is journalists filling column inches or real griping that will turn into something, who knows, Team Sky spent more than 200k on diesel in one year just driving their bus around & no one gave a damn...the annoying part is the organisers wont be able to take that chance that its just a bunch of 6th formers greensplaining for their 15mins of fame :(
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    awavey wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

not just TDY but the worlds as well according to the Beeb, as Ineos sponsored riders will be taking part :roll: as you say how much of it is journalists filling column inches or real griping that will turn into something, who knows, Team Sky spent more than 200k on diesel in one year just driving their bus around & no one gave a damn...the annoying part is the organisers wont be able to take that chance that its just a bunch of 6th formers greensplaining for their 15mins of fame :(

If they didn't plan on doing anything, the media have certainly made sure they will by giving it so much publicity already.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    maybe the feds will use tear gas on the riders or maybe even a taser or two in honour of the TDF
  • RichN95.
    If Brailsford had secured sponsorship from Cycling News, Cycling News would have written an article about how awful Cycling News is.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    RichN95 wrote:
    If Brailsford had secured sponsorship from Cycling News, Cycling News would have written an article about how awful Cycling News is.
    And they'd have been right for once!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    BigMat wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    And they'd have been right for once!

But at least they could have called the new team Re-Cycling News. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    boom! :lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I see Froome is back in action at Catalyna tomorrow. Is he just doing that and Dauphine and a million climbing miles before the tour? Seems a bit light on racing compared to Thomas' programme