Team SKY to be known as Team Ineos.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    It’s a fun exercise and don’t let me stop you but it is entirely the same team.

Wouldn’t have crossed our mind with Rabo, caisse d’epannge etc
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    What was the one where froome clipped off the front with Sagan?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    What was the one where froome clipped off the front with Sagan?
    TDF 2016 Stage 11. Sagan won that stage. So not a Sky victory.
    https://youtu.be/2COdmDjnP8w
    https://youtu.be/515WakzjPEc

I can't debate Rich's list. I agree with all of it.

Stannard's 1v3 would be higher if he had gone on to win 2-3 monuments. This way Cav and Wiggins are way way bigger legends of the sport making that sprint far more meaningful. Sometimes it isn't just the victory and how, but also by whom!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    Froome winning that giro last year was pretty hard to top. A lot of sky wins are a bit unmemorable. That giro in general was absurdly hard. Racing that hard was insane . Contender rides into hospital FFS
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    Froome winning that giro last year was pretty hard to top. A lot of sky wins are a bit unmemorable. That giro in general was absurdly hard. Racing that hard was insane . Contender rides into hospital FFS

Agreed.

I think the list is missing the win into Lourdes from Froome when he did the full frog on a skateboard attack on the decent.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

Agreed.

I think the list is missing the win into Lourdes from Froome when he did the full frog on a skateboard attack on the decent.

Luchon not Lourdes
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    Ah I thought it sounded wrong.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Much as I like Bernal, and even though that ToC win was impressive.... it's the ToC.

I'd have Wiggins 2nd TdF TT in 2012 (stage 19) in there. The release of tension was incredible.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Much as I like Bernal, and even though that ToC win was impressive.... it's the ToC.

I'd have Wiggins 2nd TdF TT in 2012 (stage 19) in there. The release of tension was incredible.

He won paris nice a few weeks ago fairly comfortably and was 15th in the tour last year as sky's third man.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Was Cavendish with Sky on the TDF stage he won when Roche's break was caught?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Pross wrote:
    I'd have Cav's Stage 18 win in the 2012 Tour up there somewhere too. Possibly his best for the way it was achieved

Is that the one where he passed.. ?Sanchez who just stopped and watched in awe?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    Yes. Was in the WC jersey for Sky.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Yer, found it - https://youtu.be/jQedKbxiuB

I'd forgotten Wiggins just demolished the gap too. Man that was a good year to be British and a cycling fan...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Something I was thinking about today. Should cycling take a lead from F1. Seems casual fans don't always understand that a change of sponsor doesn't mean it's a new team. Maybe need to use Williams, Ferrari etc and then have sponsor name second.

Or maybe I've invented a fix for something that isn't an issue
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver wrote:

I'd forgotten Wiggins just demolished the gap too. Man that was a good year to be British and a cycling fan...

It was indeed. Wiggins doing that work with the TT coming the day after.... In some ways more impressive than leading Cav out in Paris. I think that's part of the reason I'd have Wiggins TT in the top ten.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    gsk82 wrote:

He won paris nice a few weeks ago fairly comfortably and was 15th in the tour last year as sky's third man.

Yeah, I'm not arguing about Bernal's quality, just that winning a stage in the ToC (even if it does put you in the leaders jersey) isn't really up there as a top ten win. Not even if it's a win that makes people look at you and see you're something special.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    sherer wrote:
    Something I was thinking about today. Should cycling take a lead from F1. Seems casual fans don't always understand that a change of sponsor doesn't mean it's a new team. Maybe need to use Williams, Ferrari etc and then have sponsor name second.

Or maybe I've invented a fix for something that isn't an issue

I think you may have invented a huge issue for sponsors tbh :-D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    ddraver wrote:

It was indeed. Wiggins doing that work with the TT coming the day after.... In some ways more impressive than leading Cav out in Paris. I think that's part of the reason I'd have Wiggins TT in the top ten.

Yep, was a big thank you for the team work Cav had put in the previous day. It really wasn't a typical Cavendish sprint win.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Ineos apparently backing Kipchoge in a fresh sub 2 hour marathon attempt in the autumn.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Definitely not apparently. Has its own Instagram account
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Just listened to last week's Bespoke podcast from the BBC on the launch of Team Ineos. What a load of wishful thinking, sh!tstirring, looking for controversy boxxox.

Whatever one thinks of Ratcliffe, I do hope he tells these so-called journalists to xxxx off.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    I hope they keep hassling him. He doesn't get a pass from me. I am not putting anything on the team . Hope they take hiS money and race on it. I can compartmentalise that hypocrisy.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Was Cavendish with Sky on the TDF stage he won when Roche's break was caught?

Ha!
    This is the stage 18 you were all already posting about.

(It's like when my Granny went deaf and couldn't follow a conversation)

(Also it amuses me that I remember it from an Irish perspective as 'the stage Roche got caught')
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    poppit wrote:
    So, Ellingworth is leaving, pretty shocked about this, thought he was part of the furniture.

He has now left the building, apparently.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    CarbonClem wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    So, Ellingworth is leaving, pretty shocked about this, thought he was part of the furniture.

There was some clown on the Cycling Podcast suggesting he left because he couldn't stomach the new sponsors. He's going to Bahrain, mate.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    RichN95 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    poppit wrote:

There was some clown on the Cycling Podcast suggesting he left because he couldn't stomach the new sponsors. He's going to Bahrain, mate.

The Aussie guy saying how disgusted he was? :lol: What a plumb he sounded! :mrgreen:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Incidentally it's been announced that Ellingworth will be taking over the top job at Bahrain, replacing Brent Copeland who is going to have a reduced role.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I'd have Cav's Stage 18 win in the 2012 Tour up there somewhere too. Possibly his best for the way it was achieved

Is that the one where he passed.. ?Sanchez who just stopped and watched in awe?

And then realised he could still sprint for second place...

It's not a win, but I enjoyed Froome popping off the front with Sagan - not least for Sagan's interview afterwards when he talked about looking round and seeing Froome and thinking "YEAH! Let's go!" Was the first unarguable evidence that Sky's approach to grand tours was more than simply playing a containment game, at least with Froome leading. A proper racer's moment.
  • m.r.m.
    The sickest part of that was the relative ease Froome was able to close the gap to Sagan and Bodnar (who initiated the move if I remember correctly). Geraint was utterly on the rivet and struggling to bridge.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    M.R.M. wrote:
    The sickest part of that was the relative ease Froome was able to close the gap to Sagan and Bodnar (who initiated the move if I remember correctly). Geraint was utterly on the rivet and struggling to bridge.

Demonstrated Froomes development as a racer too. Stark contrast with watching him flail about on the radio as Cavendish jumps across to the front group on the fantastic echelons stage in 2013