Team SKY to be known as Team Ineos.

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,232
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Out of curiosity, which UK companies/individuals (let's keep it simple) would be an acceptable replacement sponsor?

The conservative party

JD Wetherspoons

Sports Direct
    Greggs
    G4S
    Seaborne Freight
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Jeremy Clarkson has enough connections to get the capital required.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Out of curiosity, which UK companies/individuals (let's keep it simple) would be an acceptable replacement sponsor?

The conservative party

JD Wetherspoons

Sports Direct
    Greggs
    G4S
    Seaborne Freight

Dyson, obviously. Very powerful small electric motors in the vacuums.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    ...then force yourself to live in Monaco.
    Doubt he is forced to spend much of his time in Monaco unless he wants to. Just need to satisfy authorities that he is indeed 'resident' and that'll do.

Real life example. A then relation-in-law was a bit naive, got involved with a Swedish trader boyfriend, who encouraged her to move to his flat in Monaco and live there while he globe trotted, and no doubt in old school speak had a girl in every port. He needed to show electricity, water etc consumption in the property to 'prove' he was resident for tax purposes. The relationship needless to say did not flourish.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    redvision wrote:
    He's not just sponsoring them, he's increasing their annual budget:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... ces-410723
    It’s what I’ve said all along when people seemed to assume no team or reduced budget
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    inseine wrote:
    redvision wrote:

It’s what I’ve said all along when people seemed to assume no team or reduced budget

I've said all along that I'd find it funny.

I suspect theres no basis to the story whatsoever though.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,232
    inseine wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Chemical manufacturing company, run by tax avoiding non-domicile opinionated Brexit influencing billionaire, buys bike team from detested multi-election influencing media company run by tax avoiding non-domicile billionaire (and his family)...
    I don’t see any of Team Sky’s detractors having a problem with that.

Upping the budget should only be a source of cheer, and encourage the rival teams to try harder to secure funding - instead of wallowing in boo hoo self pity and bemoaning things and whatnot.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Chemical manufacturing company, run by tax avoiding non-domicile opinionated Brexit influencing billionaire, buys bike team from detested multi-election influencing media company run by tax avoiding non-domicile billionaire (and his family)...
    I don’t see any of Team Sky’s detractors having a problem with that.

Upping the budget should only be a source of cheer, and encourage the rival teams to try harder to secure funding - instead of wallowing in boo hoo self pity and bemoaning things and whatnot.

Here endeth the lesson
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    I wish they'd take the opportunity to get rid of the dog shit American name format. It makes me cringe. I'm pretty certain the team originally started as Sky Pro Cycling.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    gsk82 wrote:
    I wish they'd take the opportunity to get rid of the dog shoot American name format. It makes me cringe. I'm pretty certain the team originally started as Sky Pro Cycling.

I noes.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    gsk82 wrote:
    I wish they'd take the opportunity to get rid of the dog shoot American name format. It makes me cringe. I'm pretty certain the team originally started as Sky Pro Cycling.

So they're going to be Team Ineos, whereas the sailing thing is known as Ineos Team?
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    gsk82 wrote:

Yes, always sounds naff. I'd call them Sky or Ineos-Pinarello. Bike manufacturers pump enough money into the sport; they could at least be recognised in the team name, a la motorsport.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    AndyRAC wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Yes, always sounds naff. I'd call them Sky or Ineos-Pinarello. Bike manufacturers pump enough money into the sport; they could at least be recognised in the team name, a la motorsport.

Same as motorsport, if the manufacturers put enough money in, they get to be team name sponsors (Trek, Scott, Merida, Cannondale sort of). If not, they don't (Racing Point, Williams).
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    I don't know if this is significant or not, but the BBC are now reporting this as a done deal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/47608625
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Just listening to the Brad Wiggins show to make sure BBC aren't making those quotes up !
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Spelt Ineos wrongly in the headline. FFS
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cunning plan by SDB to prove Ineos need more publicity.
  • kingstongraham
    I'm going to switch provider from Sky to Ineos at the earliest opportunity.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    I'm going to switch provider from Sky to Ineos at the earliest opportunity.
    Ten years of Sky sponsorship and I still get my TV from Virgin
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    I notice the football journalists are framing this as Sky being 'saved' and 'rescued' rather than this being one of the quickest and most successful sponsor changes in recent history (if it pans out)
  • kingstongraham
    Is he going to do a full Tinkoff?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Is it pronounced In-ee-os, in-ay-os, ini-os...?
  • RichN95.
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Aren't the first and last of those the same? It's pronounced like them (but seemingly quite quickly).

For the boss saying it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAp26CZITyc
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    why change before the Tour though if the Beeb is correct, surely theres some mileage left in Sky getting PR from being involved still even if they didnt win it.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Aren't the first and last of those the same? It's pronounced like them (but seemingly quite quickly).

For the boss saying it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAp26CZITyc

In my mind In-ee-os has emphasis on the ee. In the clip they say Ini-os.

Maybe it's all the same in South Wales.
    :D
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    ”even we will struggle to spend 7bn dollars"....
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    BBC mentioned this morning that James Ratcliffe is also looking at trying to buy Chelsea from a certain Russian billionaire.....
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,599
    awavey wrote:
    why change before the Tour though if the Beeb is correct, surely theres some mileage left in Sky getting PR from being involved still even if they didnt win it.

I know in the minds of many there will be little sympathy, but its a bit off on anyone that's shelled out on Sky kit or t-shirts etc this year. They been pushing the tee's on social media just this week.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    How long before people start insisting on capitalising Team INEOS then?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    CarbonClem wrote:
    awavey wrote:

I know in the minds of many there will be little sympathy, but its a bit off on anyone that's shelled out on Sky kit or t-shirts etc this year. They been pushing the tee's on social media just this week.

The teeshirt still functions though ? If you buy team kit it's always going to be out of date.