Northern Classics

Comments

• bobmcstuff wrote:
    Everyone else sees a pink elephant yeah?
    But no delirium tremens :?

Tescos.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Degenkolb has put his own money behind making sure the under 19 Paris roubaix will run and is asking for people to help him do so.
  • rick_chasey
    ShutupJens wrote:
    You're thinking of Van Der Poel Rick. WHo will feature I am sure, alongside Wout van Aert.

Van der Poel out for the rest of the season with a knee injury.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Van der Poel's grandparent: Raymond Poulidor
    Half man, Half bike
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    ShutupJens wrote:
    You're thinking of Van Der Poel Rick. WHo will feature I am sure, alongside Wout van Aert.

Van der Poel out for the rest of the season with a knee injury.

Actually, he isn't.

(His brother David is, but you wouldn't see much of him anyway)
  • rick_chasey
    He has a brother?

Ah I give up with these cyclocross boys.
  • Korhag
    Korhag Posts: 77
    Does anyone know what the car parking and pedestrian of movement on the near roads is like at the Tour of Flanders?

I am staying about 14km away from Kwaremont so looking to at least get near to the fan village / watch the loops through the kwaremont. I am about 12km away to the NW with easy access to the H36. We will be driving there on the Friday until the Monday If we need to get there earlier than so-be-it.

The main query Is if there paid parking or anything like that near to Kwaremont? I understand that there are shuttlebuses towards the kwaremont from Ronse/Oudenaarde with a short-walk. As it stands, we'd have to drive past Kwaremont villiage down the H36 and add 5km or to get the shuttlebus to get to the shuttlebus 'start' points.

Any suggestions? First time in belgium or travelling to watch a race, but looking forward to it.
  • rick_chasey
    Getting quite pumped for this.

Alas I’m doing my own Tour of (south) Yorkshire, albeit not so much show casing my limited cycling ability but instead showing off the new little Miss Chasey.

So you guys might have to help me out with the opening weekend.

:(
  • rick_chasey
    Korhag wrote:
    Does anyone know what the car parking and pedestrian of movement on the near roads is like at the Tour of Flanders?

I am staying about 14km away from Kwaremont so looking to at least get near to the fan village / watch the loops through the kwaremont. I am about 12km away to the NW with easy access to the H36. We will be driving there on the Friday until the Monday If we need to get there earlier than so-be-it.

The main query Is if there paid parking or anything like that near to Kwaremont? I understand that there are shuttlebuses towards the kwaremont from Ronse/Oudenaarde with a short-walk. As it stands, we'd have to drive past Kwaremont villiage down the H36 and add 5km or to get the shuttlebus to get to the shuttlebus 'start' points.

Any suggestions? First time in belgium or travelling to watch a race, but looking forward to it.

Tbh it’s nowhere near that organised.... it’s a bit of a free for all.

On the Kwaremont it’s all ticketed so either they should advise you or you don’t have a ticket in which case I’d go elsewhere.
  • Korhag wrote:

Tbh it’s nowhere near that organised.... it’s a bit of a free for all.

On the Kwaremont it’s all ticketed so either they should advise you or you don’t have a ticket in which case I’d go elsewhere.

I'm not sure the Kwaremont is all ticket. Parts of it are, but not all of it. Mind you, it's a while since I've been.

But to answer the OP, I'm not quire sure from your description where you're staying, but there are details of the shuttle buses on the Tour of Flanders website. They do have multiple pick ups, it might not be necessary to go to the start points.

https://www.rondevanvlaanderen.be/en/rv ... n/mobility

http://www.flandersclassics.be/sites/de ... vv2018.pdf
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I stood on the Kwaremont last year, about 20 yards from the top, and most of it is not ticketed. Would suggest that by far the easiest way is to ditch your car by the side of the road in Oudenaarde and take the free shuttle bus to the Kwaremont. I know it seems weird to drive past your destination but it will save you untold amounts of time trying to find somewhere to park.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I stood on the Kwaremont last year, about 20 yards from the top, and most of it is not ticketed. Would suggest that by far the easiest way is to ditch your car by the side of the road in Oudenaarde and take the free shuttle bus to the Kwaremont. I know it seems weird to drive past your destination but it will save you untold amounts of time trying to find somewhere to park.

Bare in mind that the shuttle from oudenaarde closes earlier than the others as it crosses the circuit. I've used the shuttle from Ronse a couple of times and it's very good. Especially if you're heading for the channel ports after.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    Odds going into the final week ahead of the beginning of the season.
    Top 5 favourites:

Greg Van Avermaet
    9/2
    Phillipe Gilbert
    Jasper Stuyven
    Sep Vanmarcke
    Matteo Trentin
  • Odds going into the final week ahead of the beginning of the season.
    Top 5 favourites:

Greg Van Avermaet
    9/2
    Phillipe Gilbert
    Jasper Stuyven
    Sep Vanmarcke
    Matteo Trentin

Hmmm Sep still hanging around and Gilbert seems to have been there for ever too. I reckon GVA must be ready for another good season if he doesnt get turned over by quickstep again.
  • rick_chasey
    Is that you vino ?
  • Korhag
    Korhag Posts: 77
    gsk82 wrote:

Bare in mind that the shuttle from oudenaarde closes earlier than the others as it crosses the circuit. I've used the shuttle from Ronse a couple of times and it's very good. Especially if you're heading for the channel ports after.

Since my post I did a bit of research on the shuttle buses available.

I think the plan is to get the shuttle from Kluisbergen where there appears to be parking available and then walk to Kwaremont from the drop-off. Seems straight forward enough!
  • Is that you vino ?

No, Vino is a very naughty boy and upset a snowflake who demanded retribution. The only acceptable retribution was liquidation without notice.

I am not Vino, i always agree one hundred percent with the most insulted posters

Now thats dealt with COME ON THE WEEKEND Let the racing commence!
  • rick_chasey
    Ha who dobbed you in?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Apparently something has changed since the last PTP I did last year and I can no longer get odds on my work computer... They think it's gambling. Fascists.
  • Ha who dobbed you in?

No idea, :) it wasn't even an offensive remark since ive mellowed, as has the forum since the golden age; but it seems that being a victim and feeling threatened or hurt is standard fayre for getting challenging views or opinions removed. And of course some people are perennially offended. Momentum behaves like this, as do other pressure groups.

Anyway to be more cuddly i have a dog on my avtar
  • gsk82
    Ha who dobbed you in?

No idea, :) it wasn't even an offensive remark since ive mellowed, as has the forum since the golden age; but it seems that being a victim and feeling threatened or hurt is standard fayre for getting challenging views or opinions removed. And of course some people are perennially offended. Momentum behaves like this, as do other pressure groups.

It's 2019 so I'm outraged. I also have a picture of my smashed avocado on rye bread to post but erm... the internet is down.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:
    Ha who dobbed you in?

It's 2019 so I'm outraged. I also have a picture of my smashed avocado on rye bread to post but erm... the internet is down.

2019 and youre still eating environment killing avacado! did you know drug gangs are extorting the avacado farmers! dont you care about airmiles!

you must be vegan.

I cant wait till saturday, slouched on the setee for hours drinking beer and watching men in lycra
  • gsk82
    gsk82 wrote:
    Ha who dobbed you in?

2019 and youre still eating environment killing avacado! did you know drug gangs are extorting the avacado farmers! dont you care about airmiles!

you must be vegan.

I cant wait till saturday, slouched on the setee for hours drinking beer and watching men in lycra

And since youre only vegan when it suits, you'll have a hand full of meat. Or at least little meat in your hand
  • gsk82 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    Ha who dobbed you in?

you must be vegan.

And since youre only vegan when it suits, you'll have a hand full of meat. Or at least little meat in your hand

:D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Avocados aren't vegan. Like quite a lot of crops they use captive bees for propagation, which is therefore exploiting animals. I learnt this from QI.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Ha who dobbed you in?

I’m not sure a Viz “Up The @rse Corner” entry of a known doper and a canine counts as “cuddly”. And good luck arguing that the dog seems happy with the scenario.
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash wrote:

no idea id have to see him riding. If he's got bars that look like they're for the arms of a T rex then yes :)

Nah. Narrow handlebars belong to Jan-Willem van Schip. He's still at Roompot-Charles

He’s quite an interesting guy.

He’s very experimental about a lot of things, not just kit. He designed those handlebars and paid for them himself.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Avocados aren't vegan. Like quite a lot of crops they use captive bees for propagation, which is therefore exploiting animals. I learnt this from QI.

I like this (even though im not sure how ypu can have a captive bee it suits my purpose). I'll mention it to my vegan colleague right after he comments on the cruelty of my new hand knitted socks.

btw after honey is harvested from beehives there is a period in which the colony displays stress related behaviour. Even honey cannot therefore be considered Vegan friendly.
  • I don't think honey is vegan friendly as it's an animal product.
  • I don't think honey is vegan friendly as it's an animal product.

Vegans dont even like each other, theyre always trying to out vegan each other.