Northern Classics

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    effillo wrote:
    Currently counting the days until classics season. Off to Flanders this year to ride and then spectate, not sure what's going to be a bigger test of endurance, the sportive or the day on the beer!

cant you do beer on both days?
    :)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    effillo wrote:
    Currently counting the days until classics season. Off to Flanders this year to ride and then spectate, not sure what's going to be a bigger test of endurance, the sportive or the day on the beer!

Getting out of Britain may be your biggest challenge (assuming you're here)
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    gsk82 wrote:
    effillo wrote:

Getting out of Britain may be your biggest challenge (assuming you're here)

I am indeed, must admit I am concerned about a couple of crossings we have booked this year, April and August. Hopefully any issues are commercial not public and they can find a way of not blocking routes in and out of Dover.
  • Not very wild, wildcards.

https://twitter.com/Paris_Roubaix/statu ... 7653661697

Cofidis
    Delko Marseille Provence
    Direct Energie
    Arkea - Samsic
    Vital Concept - B&B Hotels
    Roompot Charles
    Wanty - Gobert

.............so no van der Poel.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • cygnet
    cygnet Posts: 92
    Not very wild, wildcards.
    .............so no van der Poel.

PR wasn't on his schedule anyway though.
    id like to see a rider from Wanty or Roompot take a classic being chased down by the peloton but pipping them at the post.

(but not that bloke with the stupid narrow bars)
  • The 'new' LBL route is out, with a finish in the centre of Liège and a potential small bunch sprint finish.

DxgpwZXXQAAUO2E?format=jpg&name=900x900
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    The 'new' LBL route is out, with a finish in the centre of Liège and a potential small bunch sprint finish.

DxgpwZXXQAAUO2E?format=jpg&name=900x900

I do wonder if Sagan had prior knowledge of this. Everyone sort of laughed when he said he was going for Leige in December...though now he looks like more of a favourite. Still lots of climbing mind, but a ~15k run to the finish swings things far more in his wheelhouse.
  • Vino'sGhost
    that looks like a cracking route. Deffo a sagan style riders route route or even dare i say it valverde?
  • I should have put this up at the same time, but the parcour for the Flèche stays largely unchanged:
    DxgmsLVXQAALGBQ.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,719
    that looks like a cracking route. Deffo a sagan style riders route route or even dare i say it valverde?

Pretty much every race that isn’t pan flat or mainly above 1800m suits Valverde.

Same can be said for Sagan. #tooeasypunditry
  • Vino'sGhost

Pretty much every race that isn’t pan flat or mainly above 1800m suits Valverde.

Same can be said for Sagan. #tooeasypunditry

Ah yes but where he excells is when it’s tough and where the course is long. The classics basically and this fits both criteria and he’s not afraid to go long. I seem to remember San Sebastián as being him last year (I may be wrong they all merge into one another )

S
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229

would suit Jungels even more. attack up Roche aux faucons and the rollers after that, as the road has a nasty double kick, and then tt to the finish?

or solo attack by a strong guy cracks a load of them and it all splits up, with a winner from a reduced group sprint. as its a flat sprint, you'd be looking at Kwiatko/Matthews/Sagan/classic riders that can kick at the end of a 250km race. would need to see the finish parcours and the roads that lead into it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,719
    Would have been great for Gerrans.

You gotta look at people who make it in the final 30 who have the flat sprint speed.

It forces the Dan Martins of this world to go from longer.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Maybe one for Bling if he gets his sh*t together?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Im looking forward to it whatever happens. Hopefully it will have whole race or several hours of coverage.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    effillo wrote:

cant you do beer on both days?
    :)

The best beer of the weekend is the one you sink in the square right after finishing Saturday's ride.
  • A lot to like about that route. Looking forward to it...
  • id like to see a rider from Wanty or Roompot take a classic being chased down by the peloton but pipping them at the post.

Hasn't he joined Jumbo now?
  • Vino'sGhost
    id like to see a rider from Wanty or Roompot take a classic being chased down by the peloton but pipping them at the post.

Hasn't he joined Jumbo now?

Has he??? they should add style to their selection criteria
  • Vino'sGhost

no idea id have to see him riding. If he's got bars that look like they're for the arms of a T rex then yes :)
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560

no idea id have to see him riding. If he's got bars that look like they're for the arms of a T rex then yes :)

Nah. Narrow handlebars belong to Jan-Willem van Schip. He's still at Roompot-Charles
  • what a name ... I wish I could change "My Men 2019" and get the narrow bar'd one in.
  • Vino'sGhost
    dish_dash wrote:

Nah. Narrow handlebars belong to Jan-Willem van Schip. He's still at Roompot-Charles

that makes sense no pro tour team needs that kind of silliness detracting from sponsor messaging :)
  • Flanders wildcards.

Direct Energie (FRA)
    Corendon-Circus (BEL)
    Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise (BEL)
    Wanty-Gobert (BEL)
    Cofidis (FRA)
    Vital Concept-B&B Hotels (FRA)
    Roompot-Charles (NED)
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I thought this was going to be a thread about Northern soul records.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    kingrollo wrote:

Lance - Tainted Love
    Aru - Born a Loser
    Team Sky - Suspicion
    Sagan - Competition Ain't Nothing
    Froome - Walk With A Winner
    Landis - The Snake
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Lance - Tainted Love
    Aru - Born a Loser
    Team Sky - Suspicion
    Sagan - Competition Ain't Nothing
    Froome - Walk With A Winner
    Landis - The Snake

Any Grand Tour Route - River Deep Mountain High
  • Good ride in Valencia by Sylvain Dillier. He could be a factor.