LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    Rick Chasey twists cabinet minister's response to question to continue to bash the Government, SHOCKER! :o

Though incredibly tedious, but hey, we should all relax, coz it's just a forum. :/
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    elbowloh said:
    Yep, after reading that Rick is quite correct in his observations.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Honestly, if you live in Welwyn Hatfield and voted tory you should be embarrassed for endorsing such a moron.

If you feel so strongly about these things you should be using your energy to contact your local MP, if you get no joy start making plans to get elected yourself and make a better future.

Calling anybody a moron won't change a thing.
    Oh it's a forum, relax.

I've put my money where my mouth is more than most people on here.
    So you've called them a moron and sent them some money?
    That's your gig isn't it?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,668

Stevo_666 said:

Honestly, if you live in Welwyn Hatfield and voted tory you should be embarrassed for endorsing such a moron.

If you feel so strongly about these things you should be using your energy to contact your local MP, if you get no joy start making plans to get elected yourself and make a better future.

Oh it's a forum, relax.

Difficult to argue with that one. 😏
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515

Stevo_666 said:

Oh it's a forum, relax.

Nope :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh it's a forum, relax.

After all this are you now saying you didn't pay your £3? :)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    edited January 2021
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh it's a forum, relax.

KG said I did both. I don't recall calling them morons :smile:

There is also no doubt it was 3 quid well spent.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh it's a forum, relax.

If you never have ever in your life, I think you'd be in the minority.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh it's a forum, relax.

I don't like to state the obvious.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh it's a forum, relax.

I don't like to state the obvious.
    There are subjects about which that is definitely true.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702

Didn’t this very thread declare this unworkable?
  • rjsterry

Didn’t this very thread declare this unworkable?
    Would be interesting to see how they propose to assess property value when it is so easily influenced by demand. Conversely, if values are effectively set by government (a supposedly Conservative government) then that would really distort the market. As an aside, if they are serious about meeting their emissions reduction targets, they should base the property tax on energy consumption.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Same article references the fast that the replacement for council tax was thought about previously, but when they modelled it, it produced no difference in the amount of revenue raised. It did massively change how much people paid on the scales. From memory, those with a house prices at £250k paid about £640 per annum whereas a £1m property owner would pay £400 a month!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    elbowloh said:

Same article references the fast that the replacement for council tax was thought about previously, but when they modelled it, it produced no difference in the amount of revenue raised. It did massively change how much people paid on the scales. From memory, those with a house prices at £250k paid about £640 per annum whereas a £1m property owner would pay £400 a month!

Maybe that’s a hidden agenda. Would force redistribution of high value housing to high earners. A bit of social engineering to remove low earners who happen to own a high value family property from generations of ownership.

Would definitely mobilise the market. Could have many unforeseen consequences though, would potentially devalue the higher end of the ‘normal’ (not luxury) market but subsequently drive up values of lower end properties as that market would heat up.
  • Stevo_666
    Maybe we'll know more once he has actually considered it. If it isn't introduced then maybe the view is that it isn't workable.

At present this is speculation as to what might be introduced.
  • morstar
    Having thought it through, I’m not keen despite likely being a beneficiary.

It penalises living in an expensive area which the property price already does.

I’m all for punitive taxation on empty or second properties but not on owning a home that happens to be valuable.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

I’m all for punitive taxation on empty or second properties but not on owning a home that happens to be valuable.

Helps flush out sticky labour voters in London constituencies which have swing potential.

• morstar

morstar said:

Helps flush out sticky labour voters in London constituencies which have swing potential.

Yes, I mentioned the social engineering angle in my prior post.

Can definitely see gentrification being possible.
  • rick_chasey
    Was a thing round my way in London.

Used a lot of redevelopments to force poorer residents out.

If anyone’s interested I can share the deets.
  • morstar
    A really cynical government could do it as a temporary measure.

2-3 years would be enough to flush out the lower classes before revising the system that ‘doesn’t work’. Obviously with all their property trading friends forewarned.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

morstar said:

Hang on, you're not seriously suggesting that it's the poor people who vote labour in London?
  • rick_chasey

morstar said:

Hang on, you're not seriously suggesting that it's the poor people who vote labour in London?
    Ha ha.

• Didn’t this very thread declare this unworkable?
    My suggestion so it hit a knee jerk rejection in some quarters.

It would be less market distorting.
  • elbowloh said:

Council tax on £1m property is circa £3k

Stamp duty on a £1m property is circa £50k.

If you live there for ten years that is £5k a year.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622

elbowloh said:

Council tax on £1m property is circa £3k

Stamp duty on a £1m property is circa £50k.

If you live there for ten years that is £5k a year.
    The trouble with government policy is it always goes round in circles. The reason for increasing stamp duty on expensive properties was to prevent them being used as a liquid reserve currency.
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2021
    Politically it would also alienate large swathes of the country where property prices are generally high and where there are lots of Tory constituencies.

Also if, as elbowloh says above, it doesn't change the overall revenues but changes how the cost is split, not sure what the point is?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Politically it would also alienate large swathes of the country where property prices are generally high and where there are lots of Tory constituencies.

Also if, as elbowloh says above, it doesn't change the overall revenues but changes how the cost is split, not sure what the point is?

So as an example, if it happened and alienated you, who would you subsequently vote for?
  • rick_chasey
    Rich Tory voters are inelastic
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

Stevo_666 said:

So as an example, if it happened and alienated you, who would you subsequently vote for?
    You have just highlighted why it won't happen.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.