LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited January 2021
    TBF, the Education Minister was promising that schools would open. He did that on multiple occasions. Preparing for closure and home schooling takes time and effort away from preparing from in school testing and would therefore have been a waste of tax payers money, bearing in mind all of the government's assurances.

Or are you saying schools shouldn't trust single a word that comes out of Williams' lying mouth?

Maybe every time the minister makes an announcement the schools should prepare for the exact opposite?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

If you’re really unhappy with the education provided, you have 2 choices. Life is short, childhood passes quickly (more rapidly than the time taken to reform an education system).

1. Move to a catchment area for a better school
    2. Go private

There are so many who contribute to the funding of education (via taxes) who get zero benefit - no children, children in private schools, etc.

You’re quite lucky really, in the grand scheme of things.

Probably a bit easier to just turn up and look them in the eye than move house. Do you not think. Let me see where is my nearest private primary school. Live in a city by any chance or have a complete lack of common sense.
  • john80 said:

If you’re really unhappy with the education provided, you have 2 choices. Life is short, childhood passes quickly (more rapidly than the time taken to reform an education system).

1. Move to a catchment area for a better school
    2. Go private

There are so many who contribute to the funding of education (via taxes) who get zero benefit - no children, children in private schools, etc.

You’re quite lucky really, in the grand scheme of things.

Probably a bit easier to just turn up and look them in the eye than move house. Do you not think. Let me see where is my nearest private primary school. Live in a city by any chance or have a complete lack of common sense.
    You’re very quick to insult, and to moan. Catchment areas in cities are small and necessitate moving. From your moaning on here I didn’t get the impression that you were proactive in any way.

Good luck to you, you’ve obviously got it all under control.
  • john80
    elbowloh said:

TBF, the Education Minister was promising that schools would open. He did that on multiple occasions. Preparing for closure and home schooling takes time and effort away from preparing from in school testing and would therefore have been a waste of tax payers money, bearing in mind all of the government's assurances.

Or are you saying schools shouldn't trust single a word that comes out of Williams' lying mouth?

Maybe every time the minister makes an announcement the schools should prepare for the exact opposite?

Any good business should be prepared for known risks. Should schools not be prepared for this risk? As to Gavin Williamson. He is dead right in trying to fight the case for staying open till the end until it becomes impossible. What difference would it make to me if they give me a day's notice or a weeks as let's face it their are no alternative childcare arrangement possible unless you are one of those guys that sends them off to the vulnerable grandparents to see if you can kill them off. He only closed the school's because of the general publis actions and a good percentage of people don't have to look much further than the mirror for the current situation. Its not all nurses in ICU wards spreading covid when they go home from legitimate social contact is it.
  • elbowloh
    edited January 2021
    They aren't businesses. They're schools, who were following government guidance/instruction. He could just as easily told them to prepare contingency plans, but he didn't. Any good government minister should be preparing for risks.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • john80
    elbowloh said:

They aren't businesses. They're schools, who were following government guidance/instruction. He could just as easily told them to prepare contingency plans, but he didn't. Any good government minister should be preparing for risks.

What is the head of the school for on good money. Do they need a pay cut with your logic if they are to operate at the level of mere workers. Seems to me they might be overpaid if the are not strategically thinking. Would the testing regime in secondary schools been such a bad plan if the public had refrained from licking each other over the Christmas period.
  • elbowloh
    edited January 2021
    john80 said:

elbowloh said:

What is the head of the school for on good money. Do they need a pay cut with your logic if they are to operate at the level of mere workers. Seems to me they might be overpaid if the are not strategically thinking. Would the testing regime in secondary schools been such a bad plan if the public had refrained from licking each other over the Christmas period.
    Williams is in charge, blame him. Most schools were understaffed due to COVID. They were told by government to put all their effort prepare for testing when schools opened. Many of them were doing that in their own time, whilst officially on leave. You want them to then divert some of that effort in to doing something the government told them would not be necessary?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    john80 said:

elbowloh said:

You might have missed that when initiative was taken and schools in Greenwich were closed before Christmas they were threatened with legal action by the government. Schools have also been shown to be significant sources of spread, especially when everything is shut, as London is now demonstrating.

Clearly some schools are better than others. If you don't want to move house, the route to change your children's school is to join the governors. 'Looking people in the eye' will just get you noted down as one of 'those' parents.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    What does headteacher pay have to do with any of this and why is John bringing it up all the time?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

What does headteacher pay have to do with any of this and why is John bringing it up all the time?

He's jealous?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • john80
    Consider it a counter balance to those that think public services are run from the top down and only the top guy has accountability for anything.
  • elbowloh
    john80 said:

Consider it a counter balance to those that think public services are run from the top down and only the top guy has accountability for anything.

Not "anything", everything. That's the point of being the top guy. Especially when he's the one doing the u-turns.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,931
    elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Not "anything", everything. That's the point of being the top guy. Especially when he's the one doing the u-turns.

This feels like a lifetime ago:

"Lord Carrington, who has died aged 99, served in all the Conservative administrations from Winston Churchill’s in 1951 to Margaret Thatcher’s in 1979.

One of the last of the patrician statesmen, he was Thatcher’s first foreign secretary and later served as secretary general of Nato.

He was perhaps more famous, however, for his resignation as foreign secretary, following Argentina’s seizure of the Falkland Islands on 2 April 1982.

Although the Franks inquiry into the events leading to the war, a year later, found that no blame attached to him or to the Foreign Office, Carrington had felt honour-bound to surrender the seals of office. This admission of ministerial responsibility was something that by then was becoming almost extinct in British politics."
  • I’m still waiting for Woeful Williamson to make a statement about universities. Anything at all. It’s really quite bizarre that he’s not being hauled up for dereliction of duty. I’ve joked about it in the past, but he must have photos in brown envelopes.
  • rick_chasey

Thread summarises the lecture if you don’t want to read it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    john80 said:

Any good business should be prepared for known risks. Should schools not be prepared for this risk? As to Gavin Williamson. He is dead right in trying to fight the case for staying open till the end until it becomes impossible. What difference would it make to me if they give me a day's notice or a weeks as let's face it their are no alternative childcare arrangement possible unless you are one of those guys that sends them off to the vulnerable grandparents to see if you can kill them off. He only closed the school's because of the general publis actions and a good percentage of people don't have to look much further than the mirror for the current situation. Its not all nurses in ICU wards spreading covid when they go home from legitimate social contact is it.

I think you'll find most schools aren't businesses, and aren't independent - they are regulated centrally, by local authorities and (ultimately) the Government.
    So, actually, Gavin Williamson is entirely to blame.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    john80 said:

Errrr...
    • They are both strategic and operational, running an organisation with multiple service lines for a constantly changing market, with limited control over key parameters and shortages of key inputs; I'd love to see you manage that
    • Strategy is ultimately determined centrally by the govt, i.e. The Education Secretary, and implemented locally
    • Testing in schools is not part of their core business: a bit like asking hospitals to start teaching people first aid. They can probably do it, but it's a bit of an ask. Oh, and the tests have been dismissed as unreliable by the MHRA.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Oops.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/15/priti-patel-under-fire-as-150000-police-records-accidentally-lost

I don't quite understand this bit from the home office:

“The issue related to people arrested and released where no further action had been taken and no records of criminal or dangerous persons have been deleted. No further records can be deleted.”

If they know that they are not criminal or dangerous persons, why did they need the records in the first place?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    It seems a good honest response to me. It's down to the individual to take the future risks.

Will there be another lockdown?
    Will there be another strain outside the scope of the vacine/immunity?
  • rick_chasey
    Honestly, if you live in Welwyn Hatfield and voted tory you should be embarrassed for endorsing such a moron.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560

It seems a good honest response to me. It's down to the individual to take the future risks.

Perhaps he realises that even the state can't predict the
    future. I wish more people would realise this.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • focuszing723

Honestly, if you live in Welwyn Hatfield and voted tory you should be embarrassed for endorsing such a moron.

If you feel so strongly about these things you should be using your energy to contact your local MP, if you get no joy start making plans to get elected yourself and make a better future.

Calling anybody a moron won't change a thing.
  • isn't he gently mocking himself after some scandal involving him and holidays in the summer?
  • focuszing723
    Stevo_666 said:

Perhaps he realises that even the state can't predict the
    future. I wish more people would realise this.
    Well, yeah. It's just a stupid question to ask him.
  • focuszing723

isn't he gently mocking himself after some scandal involving him and holidays in the summer?

Could well be.
  • rick_chasey

If you feel so strongly about these things you should be using your energy to contact your local MP, if you get no joy start making plans to get elected yourself and make a better future.

Oh it's a forum, relax.

I've put my money where my mouth is more than most people on here.
  • focuszing723

Oh it's a forum, relax.

Good for you.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589

isn't he gently mocking himself after some scandal involving him and holidays in the summer?

Yes, it sounds like it. I actually find him one of the better Cabinet ministers in an interview usually.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560

Oh it's a forum, relax.

So you've called them a moron and sent them some money?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]