LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    elbowloh said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Didn’t this very thread declare this unworkable?
    My suggestion so it hit a knee jerk rejection in some quarters.

It would be less market distorting.
    Wait, what? You, of all people on here, are advocating central control of property values?
    Nope I am arguing that stamp duty distorts the property market. Taxing people on how often they move is madness compared to a fixed annual sum.

There are problems with implementation but the biggest problem is that the losers will shout ten times louder than the gainers.
    It certainly reduces labour mobility. This in my view is a bad thing.
    Eh ? I thought you were anti migrant?
    Unfortunately I am not as one dimensional as you like to make out. Its a shame when people mess up your stereotypes.
    Someone will correct me but you’ve consistently used reducing immigration as a justification for Brexit so forgive me for thinking that what you thought.

Yeah and people moving to one part of the UK to another affects our immigration stats. Absolute Muppet.
    Right. Can you not see why there is cognitive dissonance there?
    Your point scoring knows no bounds. I am in favour of a skills based immigration system that takes a worldwide view and is equitable. Need nurses then go and seek them out and get the best English speaking applicant you can. This was not compatible with EU membership or the wishes of a significant proportion of UK voters. It is not that hard for you to grasp surely. Not everyone who wants an equitable immigration policy is a racist or a xenophobe contrary to your continual assertions to the contrary.
    Nurses is a very bad example as we already recruited them globally. I know this because I count it as an absolute disgrace that we actively recruited trained nurses from poverty stricken countries.
    This isn't true. The Phillipines had a whole industry in training nurses, exporting them and then receiving repatriations. When the EU harmonised all medical qualifications, it made EU nurses far easier to hire as the non-EU ones had to sit an exam to ensure standards. As a result, there were too many nurses in the Philippines. This in turn annoyed many of the current nurses with a Filipino background - a high percentage of which then voted for Brexit.
    I posted some data above regarding exactly where we get our NHS staff from. India and Philippines are number 1 and 2 (if you don't count the UK).

It does also show that John80's point that EU membership stopped us recruiting the best candidates from outside of the block was not true.
    Unless I am mistaken you posted data on where the staff are from not where new staff are from. This is just evidence that lots of staff used to come from commonwealth countries which is certainly true.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Okey dokey, in the year 2015/16, the year before the referendum we were still getting 8% of new NHS staff from outside the EU.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    elbowloh said:

Okey dokey, in the year 2015/16, the year before the referendum we were still getting 8% of new NHS staff from outside the EU.

Yes, but presumably that used to be a lot higher, or at least higher than the EU figure, and much more like the 2019 figure.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    Would be good to see absolute numbers. The 8% and 22% could be the same number of nurses (appreciate it probably isn't).
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

Yes, but presumably that used to be a lot higher, or at least higher than the EU figure, and much more like the 2019 figure.
    We've been in the EU for quite a while though. You would have thought that if EU nationality was the main driver behind numbers, then India and the Filipines wouldn't be at number 1 and 2 in the overseas staff numbers.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    pangolin said:

Would be good to see absolute numbers. The 8% and 22% could be the same number of nurses (appreciate it probably isn't).

I find it hard to imagine that overall numbers vary much by year. The places at universities for nursing should be relatively constant.

It's one for the Brexit thread, but the whole argument that without the EU there would be no medical staff was a misrepresentation, and one that ignored the reason for the original shift to EU staff.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    elbowloh said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Wait, what? You, of all people on here, are advocating central control of property values?
    Nope I am arguing that stamp duty distorts the property market. Taxing people on how often they move is madness compared to a fixed annual sum.

There are problems with implementation but the biggest problem is that the losers will shout ten times louder than the gainers.
    Unfortunately I am not as one dimensional as you like to make out. Its a shame when people mess up your stereotypes.
    Someone will correct me but you’ve consistently used reducing immigration as a justification for Brexit so forgive me for thinking that what you thought.

Yeah and people moving to one part of the UK to another affects our immigration stats. Absolute Muppet.
    Your point scoring knows no bounds. I am in favour of a skills based immigration system that takes a worldwide view and is equitable. Need nurses then go and seek them out and get the best English speaking applicant you can. This was not compatible with EU membership or the wishes of a significant proportion of UK voters. It is not that hard for you to grasp surely. Not everyone who wants an equitable immigration policy is a racist or a xenophobe contrary to your continual assertions to the contrary.
    Nurses is a very bad example as we already recruited them globally. I know this because I count it as an absolute disgrace that we actively recruited trained nurses from poverty stricken countries.
    This isn't true. The Phillipines had a whole industry in training nurses, exporting them and then receiving repatriations. When the EU harmonised all medical qualifications, it made EU nurses far easier to hire as the non-EU ones had to sit an exam to ensure standards. As a result, there were too many nurses in the Philippines. This in turn annoyed many of the current nurses with a Filipino background - a high percentage of which then voted for Brexit.
    I posted some data above regarding exactly where we get our NHS staff from. India and Philippines are number 1 and 2 (if you don't count the UK).

It does also show that John80's point that EU membership stopped us recruiting the best candidates from outside of the block was not true.
    That was never my point but hey ho.
  • elbowloh
    john80 said:

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

I'm confused then, as this is what you said

"I am in favour of a skills based immigration system that takes a worldwide view and is equitable. Need nurses then go and seek them out and get the best English speaking applicant you can. This was not compatible with EU membership..."
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Freedom of labour movement for all, except nurses. Is that your view?
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    elbowloh said:

john80 said:

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

"I am in favour of a skills based immigration system that takes a worldwide view and is equitable. Need nurses then go and seek them out and get the best English speaking applicant you can. This was not compatible with EU membership..."
    EU membership involved freedom of movement. There is no picking and choosing in this setup. You get whoever lands from the EU regardless of whether you need that skill or not. If you think this is the optimum system for a fair immigration policy then crack on. I suppose in some sense it is the same as not having an immigration policy. Why even bother with passports let the free for all commence. Its not like the UK electorate had a problem with this approach when they voted for Brexit.
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Ask your carer to read and explain it to you
  • elbowloh
    john80 said:

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

EU membership involved freedom of movement. There is no picking and choosing in this setup. You get whoever lands from the EU regardless of whether you need that skill or not. If you think this is the optimum system for a fair immigration policy then crack on. I suppose in some sense it is the same as not having an immigration policy. Why even bother with passports let the free for all commence. Its not like the UK electorate had a problem with this approach when they voted for Brexit.
    Yes they could come here, but that didn't mean you had to give them a job over anyone else if they didn't have the skills. The NHS and others were free to hire who ever had the competencies to fulfil the role and met the criteria of the Australian style, points-based immigration system that we already had for anyone who wasn't an EU national.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Very Trumpesque of you. He moaned about people from sh1thole countries rather than Norway (his words not mine) arriving in the US.
    I appreciate your motives may be different but the result is the same.
    How orange is your skin today?
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Very Trumpesque of you. He moaned about people from sh1thole countries rather than Norway (his words not mine) arriving in the US.
    I appreciate your motives may be different but the result is the same.
    How orange is your skin today?
    My apologies I really thought you were being a dick for the sake of it.

If that is truly your comprehension of what I wrote then somebody else will have to help you out.
  • ballysmate
    So if 2 equally qualified nurses apply to come here, one a blue eyed blond from Scandinavia and the other from a dirt poor country, you would choose the Scandinavian one every time?
    I appreciate your motives are different but you land up doing the same as Trump.

Would you welcome unskilled workers but turn away someone who has trained in a profession because you think you should decide where they should put those skills to work. That's quite arrogant

Or do you say to people wanting to migrate for a better life, "Don't bother training in a profession because if you do, you will have to stay put"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    edited January 2021
    I think SC's issue is us creaming off the well trained medical staff from another country that is far less able to replace them. In effect getting another, much poorer country to pay for the training of our medical staff, so that we can continue to underfund training in this country.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ballysmate
    rjsterry said:

I think SC's issue is us creaming off the well trained medical staff from another country that is far less able to replace them.

I am aware of his motives and I get where he is coming from.
    Just pointing out the outcome.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

I think SC's issue is us creaming off the well trained medical staff from another country that is far less able to replace them. In effect getting another, much poorer country to pay for the training of our medical staff, so that we can continue to underfund training in this country.

Except as I pointed out before, it is a business model for the Philippines.
  • rjsterry
    edited January 2021

rjsterry said:

I think SC's issue is us creaming off the well trained medical staff from another country that is far less able to replace them.

There's a difference between opening a vacancy for a training place or a qualified job to anyone, regardless of where they live, and actively targeting a recruitment drive at poorer countries to save on training costs. I think it's just the latter that SC is objecting to.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

There's a difference between opening a vacancy for a training place or a qualified job to anyone, regardless of where they live, and actively targeting a recruitment drive at poorer countries to save on training costs. I think it's just the latter that SC is objecting to.
    I refer you to my learned friend, BB above.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I refer you to my learned friend, BB above.
    Is there a shortage of nurses in the Philippines?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    Probably not, if they are busy training nurses for export, no.

Imagine a nurse in uniform walking into a British embassy in some far flung poor part of the world.

Nurse "Excuse me, I'd like to be granted permission to come to work in the UK"

Official "I'm sorry. In my arrogance I have decided that it is best that you stay and work here."

Nurse "But I read that the UK needs potato pickers, I can do that."

Official "Why didn't you say? That's different. Here's your visa, welcome to the UK"

I'm sure you'd agree such a scenario would be madness. But that is the result of SC's thinking, however well intentioned.

• Probably not, if they are busy training nurses for export, no.

Imagine a nurse in uniform walking into a British embassy in some far flung poor part of the world.

Official "I'm sorry. In my arrogance I have decided that it is best that you stay and work here."

Official "Why didn't you say? That's different. Here's your visa, welcome to the UK"

I'm sure you'd agree such a scenario would be madness. But that is the result of SC's thinking, however well intentioned.

you keep spinning the Waltzer
  • rjsterry

Probably not, if they are busy training nurses for export, no.

A simple no would do. 😉
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6524182/

Those that advocate freedom of movement for all except nurses, do you think that the EU should ban the movement of medical staff from Poland, for example, where they are suffering a critical shortage?
    I suppose it goes without saying that you think we in the UK shouldn't take on any Polish nurses.
  • rjsterry

Those that advocate freedom of movement for all except nurses, do you think that the EU should ban the movement of medical staff from Poland, for example, where they are suffering a critical shortage?
    I suppose it goes without saying that you think we in the UK shouldn't take on any Polish nurses.

Nobody is advocating that.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    edited January 2021

Those that advocate freedom of movement for all except nurses.

Has anyone said that?

There are some steps between having freedom of movement and then actually hiring them for a role.

If someone is here in the country (from wherever), have the skills, is allowed to work and has applied for the job, sure give it to them if they're the best candidate.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    rjsterry said:

Did people not say that there is no logical distinction between free internal labour movement and cross border movement? And to make such a distinction was xenophobic? It was then suggested that nurses in some countries should be denied this right to movement.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Did people not say that there is no logical distinction between free internal labour movement and cross border movement? And to make such a distinction was xenophobic? It was then suggested that nurses in some countries should be denied this right to movement.
    No, it really wasn't.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,571

rjsterry said:

I think you have to split out the three different posters as they (we) don't all have the same views on this.