LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,090
    edited December 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:
    1. New Old Labouris still useless
    2. The views in Cake Stop are not representative of the wider public view, as your reply just demonstrated.

These two points are not controversial.

I voted for Boris once, you know.
    Fair enough.

No suggestions on viable alternatives for me to vote for?
    Mate you literally went out of your way to help ensure there was no viable alternative.

I never tried to shaft the Lib Dems, only Labour. Does this mean you accept that the Lib Dems aren't a viable alternative?
    You pose the question of what alternatives like you are honestly open to considering alternatives.

But your actions show you are genuinely not interested in alternatives as you go out of your way to shut them down.

Therefore your argument is in bad faith.

You would do well in Russia.

“Vote for Putin - all other alternatives are rubbish as they are dead” lol
    you've largely describe your own views and position on things.
    Hypocrite.
    Spell that out for me as I don’t understand.

I haven’t joined other parties to vote in unelectable leaders to the benefit of the one I support?
    Fairly clear - you are not interested in allowing alternative views to possibly alter your own. Exactly what you accuese others of.
    If you think that makes me a hypocrite you don’t understand the point I am making.

I believe in the value of competition and having better leaders of all parties is beneficial to everyone.

Stevo does not believe this else he wouldn’t have “joined the labour party to save the country” to vote in someone as leader who he felt was unelectable.

Because I put my views strongly does not mean I expect everyone to agree with me.

Treat my posts as a mixture of trying out arguments and venting.

No one got anywhere off the back of praise. Same goes for governments.
    I find that a very, very strange comment, and if that is really what you think, I pity your kid(s).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,637
    Lol bringing up kids is different to running a country.

But sidestep the argument if you want
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,090

Sorry, you clearly added 'same goes for governments'. So the first part, that i highlighted CANNOT be being applied to governments and so the running of a country. So what do you mean by the highlighted statement?
    You are the one doing the side stepping whilst failing to look in the mirror.
  • rick_chasey

Sorry, you clearly added 'same goes for governments'. So the first part, that i highlighted CANNOT be being applied to governments and so the running of a country. So what do you mean by the highlighted statement?
    Ok, my point re stevo is not hypocritical.

Re criticism - maybe you work in a job where everyone says "well done" for doing your job but i've found the best cultures are one where high performance is expected and poor performance and behaviour is picked up on fast.

I see the same as applicable for governments - you should hold them to the highest standards and criticise them mercilessly if they don't reach them. It's not a jolly and it matters. The more the role matters, the higher the standard you should set.

I have no interest in my daughter being a high performer or not. I want her to be happy and you can get that in all sorts of ways, so she'll get lots of praise - what was it, I read for every criticism you offer you have to say 5 positive things to make up for it?

• I wish someone would let a Tory voter come on here.

Well, we've obviously got at least one tory voter, but I'm not sure there are any Conservatives left.
    Me.

I am still stuck on left and right being driven by economis and to me Boris is as left wing as Ed Miliband’s manifesto
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,138

Re criticism - maybe you work in a job where everyone says "well done" for doing your job but i've found the best cultures are one where high performance is expected and poor performance and behaviour is picked up on fast.

I see the same as applicable for governments - you should hold them to the highest standards and criticise them mercilessly if they don't reach them. It's not a jolly and it matters. The more the role matters, the higher the standard you should set.

I have no interest in my daughter being a high performer or not. I want her to be happy and you can get that in all sorts of ways, so she'll get lots of praise - what was it, I read for every criticism you offer you have to say 5 positive things to make up for it?

Presumably there's a debate to be had whether that works across all sectors, with all people and whether that generates a sustainable environment.

There's also a point that criticism is different from bullying.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,149
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:
    2. The views in Cake Stop are not representative of the wider public view, as your reply just demonstrated.

Fair enough.

There are no good alternatives for anyone with a brain at the moment. Your favourite team has been hijacked by Corbyn-in-a-fat-suit (to the dismay of his own colleagues who seem to hate him as much as they did May). Labour are barely keeping the peace between themselves; the LibDems are completely invisible - who knows what they think about anything? And then there's the assorted Nats, who are no better than Johnson. It's a dismal state of affairs.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

There are no good alternatives for anyone with a brain at the moment. Your favourite team has been hijacked by Corbyn-in-a-fat-suit (to the dismay of his own colleagues who seem to hate him as much as they did May). Labour are barely keeping the peace between themselves; the LibDems are completely invisible - who knows what they think about anything? And then there's the assorted Nats, who are no better than Johnson. It's a dismal state of affairs.
    Surely you forgot https://reclaimparty.co.uk/
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,149

The two things are not mutually exclusive. You can criticise where it's warranted and congratulate when things are done well. When all is said and done, they are people, too. An attitude of 'they deserve it because they're in government' is not likely to encourage better people into government. Political life is corrosive enough as it is.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,389

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

Mate you literally went out of your way to help ensure there was no viable alternative.

I never tried to shaft the Lib Dems, only Labour. Does this mean you accept that the Lib Dems aren't a viable alternative?
    You pose the question of what alternatives like you are honestly open to considering alternatives.

But your actions show you are genuinely not interested in alternatives as you go out of your way to shut them down.

Looked in the mirror lately? ;)

I'll take your lack of an attempt to answer the question as a tacit admission of the non-viability of your favourite fringe party unless I hear anything to the contrary from you.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Might as well ask if someone can suggest an alternative football team for you to support.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,905

Might as well ask if someone can suggest an alternative football team for you to support.

I'm in the market at the moment.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

I'll take your lack of an attempt to answer the question as a tacit admission of the non-viability of your favourite fringe party unless I hear anything to the contrary from you.
    What about the non-existent entryist behaviour makes you think I am similar to you?

I'm not enormously loyal to the lib dems.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

What about the non-existent entryist behaviour makes you think I am similar to you?

I'm not enormously loyal to the lib dems.
    No answer then. Good attempt at deflection though, but easy to spot.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Might as well ask if someone can suggest an alternative football team for you to support.

we might be about to agree on something... are you a Gooner? (he asked with bated breath)
  • Stevo_666

Might as well ask if someone can suggest an alternative football team for you to support.

we might be about to agree on something... are you a Gooner? (he asked with bated breath)
    Even if he is, he might not want to admit it just now...

I can heartily recommend not having any interest in football. This revelation came to me when "my" club went bust for the second time. I now don't even know what league they are in.

I can heartily recommend not having any interest in football. This revelation came to me when "my" club went bust for the second time. I now don't even know what league they are in.
    If "your" club is Kingstonian then as an amusing aside I was very nearly beaten up at a Surrey Senior Cup game against bitter local rivals Woking. Both sides have the same colours and I had not appreciated that supporters switched ends at half time to stand behind their goal
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

It has taken you a while to pick up on the poor performance of the EU over the last four years.

If "your" club is Kingstonian then as an amusing aside I was very nearly beaten up at a Surrey Senior Cup game against bitter local rivals Woking. Both sides have the same colours and I had not appreciated that supporters switched ends at half time to stand behind their goal
    Aldershot (Town).
  • Not much detail there.

How do you feel about a wealth tax? I was surprised to see they were lumping pensions in and that got me thinking about why not make it much broader. So on the grounds that £1k is worth having why not do 5% on £20k and up?
  • rick_chasey

Not much detail there.

How do you feel about a wealth tax? I was surprised to see they were lumping pensions in and that got me thinking about why not make it much broader. So on the grounds that £1k is worth having why not do 5% on £20k and up?
    A well thought out wealth tax im all for.

If I was creating a new system from scratch I would go heavy on wealth and light on income.

For me anyway you want to really disincentivise rentier behaviour but also encourage max competition.

I also like the idea that if you have one great year you don’t immediately get smacked.

I have made my views on inheritance tax already.

It is of course a deeply anti establishment by nature but it does mean you make it easy to generate some wealth but hard to hold onto masses without earning a lot.

I want to incentivise earnings not wealth.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,176

Not much detail there.

Give it time. There is going to have to be quite a bit of accounting creativity in 2021 to cover 2020.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    I do think in 100 years we will look back on economics policy since 1980s as the rentier economics period and it will be considered the ‘bad’ version of capitalism.
  • TheBigBean

Not much detail there.

If I was creating a new system from scratch I would go heavy on wealth and light on income.

For me anyway you want to really disincentivise rentier behaviour but also encourage max competition.

I also like the idea that if you have one great year you don’t immediately get smacked.

It is of course a deeply anti establishment by nature but it does mean you make it easy to generate some wealth but hard to hold onto masses without earning a lot.

The problem is that people just go abroad at some point. Earn lots and then take your wealth abroad. Then you start looking at taxing capital flows out of the country, and before you know it, it is a mess.
  • Not much detail there.

I suppose the point of my £20k plan is that everybody shares the pain and people aren't just voting for a tax on others.

Assume there are 15 million property owners in the UK and that they have some pension and savings that could easily give them £200k wealth so would only be paying £10k a year which would give them some skin in the game.

I would make SDLT a flat 1% on all transactions and then adjust council tax so the two are fiscally neutral. This would remove a distortion in the market and put you well on the way to your wealth tax.
  • rick_chasey

Not much detail there.

The problem is that people just go abroad at some point. Earn lots and then take your wealth abroad. Then you start looking at taxing capital flows out of the country, and before you know it, it is a mess.
    What about a US style if you have a British passport you pay British wealth taxes scenario?
  • TheBigBean

Not much detail there.

What about a US style if you have a British passport you pay British wealth taxes scenario?
    So long-term residents escape it? In any case, the US system is a mess, and they have introduced far reaching rules to enforce it by blacklisting non-compliant banks. Even then, they are just looking at income and not wealth.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Not much detail there.

How do you handle the guy on minimum wage that was astute enough to buy a Glasgow flat and keep it and now it is worth 3 times as much as his residential home? Do you charge him every year for a percentage of the estimated increase. Do you charge him when he sells it. He was also living frugally so put 10% of his minimal earnings into a pension fund for the last ten years. Does the government want some of that. You can take this argument all the way up the wage scales and it is only when you are at the obscenely rich will it not have a pretty significant affect on their finances and therefore their spending habits.

I think this would only lead to a lot less saving, a lot less ownership of things deemed investments and a lot more money on living the good life for which the next generation have to pay for when he is in a home, incontinent with dementia. Have you got and financial interest in hookers and coke that you would like to disclose.