LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,764
    edited December 2020

Might interest some people. Boris isn't doing that badly apparently.

https://unherd.com/2020/12/why-boris-is-still-beating-labour/

I actually think that's wrong.

The writer is using Brexit as a proxy for the whole culture war that Labour has decided is really important to oppose the majority view of its voters on. It's not Brexit, it's everything else.

Also, people don't blame the government for the government's failings when lots of other governments fuck up too.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,636
    edited December 2020

I remember reading his "why we need populism" article where he basically justifies populism as a legit response to problems without addressing the issue that the solutions only make it worse. He mainly posits populism as natural (and thus OK) and it being entirely up to the 'liberal left' to answer populist questions.

At a glance, I will read it later, it looks like he's running a similar line of argument - BoJo is popular as he's populist and that's the "left's fault", though it does look like he buys into my left/right realignment argument on cultural rather than economic lines.
  • AND - it will take more than a year to recover from Corbyn's takeover.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,389

OK, the opposition is still crap even after they have a slightly less than disastrous new team captain. But it does show that there is more to it than the obsessive and knee jerk Tory bashing on here - as ever, the CS bubble is just that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

OK, the opposition is still censored even after they have a slightly less than disastrous new team captain. But it does show that there is more to it than the obsessive and knee jerk Tory bashing on here - as ever, the CS bubble is just that.
    You are supporting a party that has been taken over by populists who are behaving in exactly like you'd expect populists to do - lining the pockets of their mates at the expense of the public and trying to take over the professional institutions for their own cronyist ideology.

That this is popular with the public and therefore good is about as convincing an argument as the emperors nose is an inch long because that's what the public says it is.

• I wish someone would let a Tory voter come on here.
  • rick_chasey

Oh my god this guy says Rab Butler was the best prime minister the UK never had! The geezer was one of the main leaders for the Hitler appeasement. He persuaded Chamberlain to not sign up to an Anglo-Russian alliance and made it public he disagreed with the UK promise to defend Poland.
  • I guess the other point is that if the Conservatives spend money and make things better for the less well off, then that's great. If they don't, will they keep those voters?

So far, they've thrown money at a problem with no ambition to raise it. They can do spending like Labour without the question "how are you going to pay for it", because of a historical perception of them being better on responsible spending.
  • Stevo_666
    My points were:
    1. New Old Labouris still useless
    2. The views in Cake Stop are not representative of the wider public view, as your reply just demonstrated.

Show me an alternative that would be worth voting for.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

My points were:
    2. The views in Cake Stop are not representative of the wider public view, as your reply just demonstrated.

These two points are not controversial.

I voted for Boris once, you know.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

No suggestions on viable alternatives for me to vote for?
  • Any alternative in 4yrs will almost certainly not be up against a govt led by Spaffer. For better or worse...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,903

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

For mayor or in the general election?
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

Mate you literally went out of your way to help ensure there was no viable alternative.

• Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

I don't think so.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

Mate you literally went out of your way to help ensure there was no viable alternative.

I never tried to shaft the Lib Dems, only Labour. Does this mean you accept that the Lib Dems aren't a viable alternative?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

I never tried to shaft the Lib Dems, only Labour. Does this mean you accept that the Lib Dems aren't a viable alternative?
    What constituency?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,419
    Labour are less bad than they were under Corbyn, but still not good (or at least, haven't convinced enough voters).

Conservatives are currently doing an awful job.

These two points are not mutually exclusive Stevo, don't pretend they are.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Labour are less bad than they were under Corbyn, but still not good (or at least, haven't convinced enough voters).

Conservatives are currently doing an awful job.

These two points are not mutually exclusive Stevo, don't pretend they are.

I'm not pretending anything. I made the points above and that's all. Which ones do you disagree with?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

What constituency?
    Question to Rick...
  • Conservatives were 4 points ahead when Johnson took over, 22 points ahead when Starmer took over, and 1 point ahead latest.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

You pose the question of what alternatives like you are honestly open to considering alternatives.

But your actions show you are genuinely not interested in alternatives as you go out of your way to shut them down.

Therefore your argument is in bad faith.

You would do well in Russia.

“Vote for Putin - all other alternatives are rubbish as they are dead” lol
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,090

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

You pose the question of what alternatives like you are honestly open to considering alternatives.

But your actions show you are genuinely not interested in alternatives as you go out of your way to shut them down.

you've largely describe your own views and position on things.
    Hypocrite.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,137

Conservatives were 4 points ahead when Johnson took over, 22 points ahead when Starmer took over, and 1 point ahead latest.

https://www.politico.eu/europe-poll-of-polls/united-kingdom/

The graph of ongoing opinion polls doesn't really feel like it matches the cut and thrust of the argument in unheard.

I think one of Boris's saving grace around the second covid wave has been that most of Europe has been a bit naff.

• rick_chasey
    edited December 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

Hypocrite.
    Spell that out for me as I don’t understand.

I haven’t joined other parties to vote in unelectable leaders to the benefit of the one I support?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,764
    edited December 2020
    Starmer has helped him out a lot by not just opposing everything. Johnson would look very weak if Labour had voted him down every time he could lose, 80 seat majority or not.

Edit to add, this is mostly a good thing.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,090

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

Hypocrite.

I haven’t joined other parties to vote in unelectable leaders to the benefit of the one I support?
    Fairly clear - you are not interested in allowing alternative views to possibly alter your own. Exactly what you accuese others of.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

I wish someone would let a Tory voter come on here.

Well, we've obviously got at least one tory voter, but I'm not sure there are any Conservatives left.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My points were:

Fair enough.

Hypocrite.

Fairly clear - you are not interested in allowing alternative views to possibly alter your own. Exactly what you accuese others of.
    If you think that makes me a hypocrite you don’t understand the point I am making.

I believe in the value of competition and having better leaders of all parties is beneficial to everyone.

Stevo does not believe this else he wouldn’t have “joined the labour party to save the country” to vote in someone as leader who he felt was unelectable.

Because I put my views strongly does not mean I expect everyone to agree with me.

Treat my posts as a mixture of trying out arguments and venting.

No one got anywhere off the back of praise. Same goes for governments.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,137

I wish someone would let a Tory voter come on here.

Well, we've obviously got at least one tory voter, but I'm not sure there are any Conservatives left.
    Paging Surrey Commuter?