Team Sky to end in 2019

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Based on yesterday’s performance I’d say sky have ended already

That post didn’t even make 24 hours relevance.

You’re right! That kit looks good this year.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I’m not going to give the DM the click. Anyone like to give me gist?
    A more friendly link for you https://road.cc/content/news/257104-bri ... k-team-sky

Aka, a UK Orica...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I’m not going to give the DM the click. Anyone like to give me gist?
    A more friendly link for you https://road.cc/content/news/257104-bri ... k-team-sky

Aka, a UK Orica...
    Worse, I'd say.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,612
    Fair play, if this is true, they have managed to find a bigger baddie than Murdoch :shock:

I know beggars cant be choosers and all but, from Ocean Rescue to Frackin' 'R' Us :cry:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Fair play, if this is true, they have managed to find a bigger baddie than Murdoch :shock:

I know beggars cant be choosers and all but, from Ocean Rescue to Frackin' 'R' Us :cry:
    Well, I can't see that it's much worse than being funded my the petrodollars of Middle Eastern dictatorships tbh.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,563
    Ok so classic rich guy: Jim Ratcliffe is a Eurosceptic, tax-exile, without much time for unions or government regulation. Can understand discomfort with his potential sponsorship for all those reasons.

But I don't see why the business itself is beyond the pale. Oil and chemicals are critical to so much of the way the world works...
  • RichN95.
    dish_dash wrote:
    Ok so classic rich guy: Jim Ratcliffe is a Eurosceptic, tax-exile, without much time for unions or government regulation. Can understand discomfort with his potential sponsorship for all those reasons.

But I don't see why the business itself is beyond the pale. Oil and chemicals are critical to so much of the way the world works...
    It's the fra.cking bit that people (or at least me) don't like. Maybe I don't understand it properly, but what I do know makes me think we should leave it well alone. It's not beyond the pale, but LVMH would be nicer.

Ha!. Fra.cking appears to be a censored word on this forum.
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

It's the fra.cking bit that people (or at least me) don't like. Maybe I don't understand it properly, but what I do know makes me think we should leave it well alone. It's not beyond the pale, but LVMH would be nicer.

Ha!. Fra.cking appears to be a censored word on this forum.
    The bulk of Ineos is in chemicals and refining at the moment, it has tens of billions in revenue and fra cking is not a moneymaker (currently). I think NIMBYism is such that fra cking probably won't get off the ground properly here anyway.

Leaving aside the climate change implications (which I largely agree with) I believe the actual risks from it are not nearly as high as being made out for a range of reasons (probably a discussion for somewhere apart from Pro Race...).

Like I said I don't think Ineos being involved is worse than the Middle East countries. And Ineos don't have a range of human rights abuses as well (Ratcliffe may be a bellend but he's not implicated in torturing people to my knowledge).

I would also prefer all the sponsors to be lovely ethical cuddly environmentally friendly businesses, but it is what it is.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,765
    Ratcliffe is a bit of a c@nt
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,563
    Shale has turned the US basically self-sufficient in oil. It's turned from a net importer to a net exporter. I agree though that fra.cking in the more densely populated UK brings with it challenges. Accounts for 0% of company revenues for the moment...

See that Ineos has a whole programme aimed at getting children active (run for fun, daily mile) which could be complemented by team sponsorship. And of course the team cars could all be the new Defender replacement 4x4 that Ratcliffe is developing.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Excellent news for top level sport and the team if it’s true.
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Leaving aside the climate change implications (which I largely agree with) I believe the actual risks from it are not nearly as high as being made out for a range of reasons (probably a discussion for somewhere apart from Pro Race...).

Like I said I don't think Ineos being involved is worse than the Middle East countries. And Ineos don't have a range of human rights abuses as well (Ratcliffe may be a bellend but he's not implicated in torturing people to my knowledge).
    He's certainly not as bad as some sponsors.

The tax dodging isn't good either. I realise half the peloton live in Monaco, Switzerland and Andorra but he's got more money than he could possibly spend.
  • rick_chasey
    Closer to home.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,284
    Imagine having so much money you can afford to do anything, and then choosing where to spend your time based on tax rates.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,121
    Imagine having so much money you can afford to do anything, and then choosing where to spend your time based on tax rates.

I used to work for someone who did this. Of all the places in the world where he could choose to live, he chose the Isle of Man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Just FYI, Frac.king has existed for decades...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    ddraver wrote:
    You're a geologist too right?
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:
    So have soap operas. Doesn't mean I have to like them or want more of them
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Christ! The moral compass is spinin like a fookin Dyson in a couple of these threads.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Don't get people started on Dyson :wink:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    seems that people are bending their morales to suit their ends in this thread ..... lots of excuses and ifs and buts going on......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • RichN95.
    FocusZing wrote:
    Christ! The moral compass is spinin like a fookin Dyson in a couple of these threads.
    I'm not saying he should be kept out of cycling, there's far worse than him already in cycling. But what's so wrong about preferring someone else sponsors them?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,612
    RichN95 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    I'm not saying he should be kept out of cycling, there's far worse than him already in cycling. But what's so wrong about preferring someone else sponsors them?

Yep. I’d rather see the team get funding and survive than clutch my pearls over the sponsor, especially when cycling is already full of shady money.
    No hypocrisy, but people can have an opinion.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • rick_chasey
    seems that people are bending their morales to suit their ends in this thread ..... lots of excuses and ifs and buts going on......

No. Way.

Funnily enough not everyone carries a moral ledger of all actions ever and measures everyone up against it.
  • Alejandrosdog
    ive never known a large organisation capable of sponsoring professional sport that was whiter than white.

gambling, drugs, environment damaging fuel, newspaper barons, tax dodging, bullying, you name it it's all there for everyone to see. It's called professional sport.

There are some behaviours at Team Sky that im very uneasy with, there are other aspects that are great. I can see beyond the sponsors because its about the racing and the riders. Sometimes its also about the managers when theyre villains.

Sponsors aside, the sport is dirty still with another blood doping scandal building along with opportunities for internet warriors to expain how easy it is/isnt to cheat the passport.

Less of the hypocrisy and more of the racing I say
  • bobmcstuff
    Apparently the name "teamineos.com" domain was registered 5th March...
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Team budget to double to €70million euros from 2020 :lol:
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Might just be a chancer registering it in the hope of making a quick buck.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    I've never heard of Ineos before the link to Sky but I hope it's true just to see the other place go nuts.

"Sky's budget is so unfair!"

Sky announcing their pulling sponsorship...

“Yay, screw you UK Postal!"

Massive cash injection off a bloke for whom £40m is practically nothing...

" *#@%“
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I was skiing in Courchevel last week and was in a gondola with some junior budding racers resplendent in their ESF and ..... wait for it.... Ineos sponsored jackets. Their instructor confirmed that these were their brand supporters but had no idea who Ineos were/are.