The cooking thread and what are you having for dinner tonight beansnikpoh?

Comments

• Yes, that's the Hopkinson recipe Pinno. It is the green chilli that makes it. The homemade versions I had as a kid were never spiced and pretty bland.

I'm lucky that the other half generally likes my cooking. The only major annoyance is when she occasionally sees fit to offer suggestions as to how it could be 'improved' in future. Usually met with "well, cook it yourself next time darling and you can improve it all you like!" 😂
  • Beans the cat doesn't like fish or poultry or anything in jelly

Those are the 3 major cat food groups! What does Beans eat then?

Mine literally hoovers the floor for anything. The greedy git has even taken to licking the floor where he knows food has been dropped.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    edited March 2023
    I found this soup recipe from an online story about a guy eating this soup every day for 17 years. It's good, but I'd get bored with it after about 12 years.

https://shesnotcookin.com/greek-lentil-spinach-soup-with-lemon/
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Cullen skink is a bit strong though.
    I'd really like to try cooking Borsht soup.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno

Beans the cat doesn't like fish or poultry or anything in jelly

Lamb or beef in Gravy + dried food.

• pinno
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Glad I'm not fussy. Mrs. 666 makes some good 'uns but she also has a few off days. It keeps her occupied, mind which is useful when you're unemployed :)

Beggars can’t be choosers Stevo 👍
    I bet she would love to hear about how he talks about her.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    pinno said:

+ mice?
  • + mice?

George had a period of depositing half eaten mice on the porch. Found pigeon feathers in the garden once, but no pigeon. He had obviously hidden it somewhere and would periodically disappear to snack on it. We only twigged when he turned up with blood smeared all over his mush!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Glad I'm not fussy. Mrs. 666 makes some good 'uns but she also has a few off days. It keeps her occupied, mind which is useful when you're unemployed :)

Too right Seano, I earn the dosh so she has to do the cooking o:)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

I bet she would love to hear about how he talks about her.
    Pfft, she should know from watching all those bl00dy cookery programmes that if you mess up, you get roasted by the judges. I'm the judge :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    masjer said:

pinno said:

+ mice?
    He kills them but he doesn't eat them.
    Beans started life in a dingy, small, 2nd floor flat with no access to the outdoors.
  • pinno
    @beansnikpoh Any good sea bream recipe's? Ta very much.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    Cullen skink. Mighty fine if I do say so myself.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    Ostrich fillet steak.
  • Stevo_666
    Sockeye salmon, potato wedges and broccoli here.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn said:

Ostrich fillet steak.

First and last time. Little chewy, unusual texture and slightly too sweet. At the lower end of the meat spectrum.
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    Tonight, some oven chips and eggs off some guy down here who keeps the hens.

Tomorrow, local oysters. Probably a dozen to myself, for next to nothing (at least for oysters).
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,687
    Hmm. Oysters. A dozen. You feelin' lucky? Well are you...?

My foodie pal was down that Devon way last summer. Gastro foodie fan boi. The 1 in 12 dodgy oyster got him. His journey home to Oxon, missus driving, was a very not fun time.

Enjoy. 😉
  • beansnikpoh
    orraloon said:

Hmm. Oysters. A dozen. You feelin' lucky? Well are you...?

My foodie pal was down that Devon way last summer. Gastro foodie fan boi. The 1 in 12 dodgy oyster got him. His journey home to Oxon, missus driving, was a very not fun time.

Enjoy. 😉

Must be my time. I've eaten oysters for 30 years in London via Tokyo and New York, never had even a twinge.
  • pinno
    edited May 2023
    Home made pizza with side salad me :smiley:
  • pinno
    edited May 2023
    Pinno's most excellent flapjacks for pedaling fuel.

300 grams of oats.
    100 grams butter
    100 grams of light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons of Golden syrup
    A handful of roughly chopped roasted hazelnuts to taste
    A handful of roughly chopped almonds to taste
    50 grams desiccated coconut.

Heat oven to 180 deg c or 160 dec C Fan oven
    Melt butter gently and add the sugar and golden syrup. Add to the oats and mix. Place in an oven dish/baking tray with greaseproof paper to a depth of 1". Press it down.

Cook for 25 mins.
    Remove from the tray with the parchment and cut 2.5" squares whilst hot. Allow to cool.
    Calculate 1 flapjack per 2 hours of pedaling.
  • pinno
    Smoked Haddock with sauté potatoes and a side salad garnished with red onion to cut through the richness.

I cooked 4 decent fillets of Smoked Haddock in 150ml of milk on a simmer for 10 mins, turning once. Only black pepper for company - no salt.
    Removed the Haddock to a warm place and added 2 decent dessert spoons of Crème fraîche on a high heat, whisked the cf in and reduced it for the sauce.
    Poured it over the fish and garnished it with spring onions.

Simple but lovely.
  • beansnikpoh
    pinno said:

Smoked Haddock with sauté potatoes and a side salad garnished with red onion to cut through the richness.

I cooked 4 decent fillets of Smoked Haddock in 150ml of milk on a simmer for 10 mins, turning once. Only black pepper for company - no salt.
    Removed the Haddock to a warm place and added 2 decent dessert spoons of Crème fraîche on a high heat, whisked the cf in and reduced it for the sauce.

Simple but lovely.

Agreed. I'd have garnished with parsley, because spring onion repeats on me like nothing else in the world. For onion garnish in salad, I "pickle" the thinly sliced red onion in white wine or cider vinegar (or lime juice) and some sugar. Takes the harshness of the onion away, but leaves the acidity and sweetness.

Smoked haddock - kedgeree. Must buy some.
  • pinno

pinno said:

Simple but lovely.

Agreed. I'd have garnished with parsley, because spring onion repeats on me like nothing else in the world. For onion garnish in salad, I "pickle" the thinly sliced red onion in white wine or cider vinegar (or lime juice) and some sugar. Takes the harshness of the onion away, but leaves the acidity and sweetness.

Smoked haddock - kedgeree. Must buy some.
    I would have garnished the fish with chives but a) dry weather and b) The DWT keeps chomping on it whilst out in the garden.

I have contingency plan though; I have planted another batch of them but they are still small.
  • pinno
    Home made Kebabs.

Fantastic. Pita bread is easy to make.
  • seanoconn
    pinno said:

Home made Kebabs.

Yummy, what kind of kebabs?

Lamb curry on the menu tonight made with leg of lamb and sag aloo with a couple of chillies to spice things up.
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

Home made Kebabs.

Lamb curry on the menu tonight made with leg of lamb and sag aloo with a couple of chillies to spice things up.
    Chicken. Marinaded first.

Despite not having 6 pints of Guinness beforehand, they were the chompiest bundy in the clundy.
  • beansnikpoh
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

Home made Kebabs.

Chicken. Marinaded first.

Despite not having 6 pints of Guinness beforehand, they were the chompiest bundy in the clundy.
    Kebabs are a thing of beauty. Grilled meat (or lovely spiced falafel), warm bread, crisp salad, delicious sauces, be they chilli, aubergine, chickpea or yoghurt based. What's not to like? A Greek gyros will have a few chips in there too.

No need for 6 pints of anything, though a typical sweaty doner in a moribund supermarket pitta might need a bit of encouragement.
  • beansnikpoh
    Chicken fricassee today.

Chop enough chicken thighs into chunks. Brown hard in batches. Set aside. Put some chopped shallots into the same pan with a splash more oil of needed, cook for a couple of mins, chuck in half a glass of white wine, deglaze until all the chickeney fond is dissolved and pan is clean. Thickly sliced chestnut mushrooms next. Keep heat high, stir until the mushrooms are losing their liquid and squeaking. Turn heat down to medium, plenty garlic and quite a lot of chopped picked thyme leaves, stir until aromatic. Chicken back in, pepper and salt to taste. Another half glass of white, bubble a bit. Some chicken or veg stock. Not too much, you can always add more. Cook for maybe 20 mins, sauce should be thickened a bit by then. A teaspoon or more of dijon mustard, a couple of tablespoons of soured cream. Stir, bubble and reduce until desired consistency. Taste, adjust, serve with pasta, rice, polenta, baked potato, starch of choice, lots of chopped parsley, squeeze of lemon if you like.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

Home made Kebabs.

clundy.
    What's that? Sounds like a word made up by The Inbetweeners.