The cooking thread and what are you having for dinner tonight beansnikpoh?

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pinno said:

Whilst Hoppy is scrubbing his oven dish - and there's no way the dishwasher will sort that...

No it's not the contents of Seano's long drop and it ain't made from Bisto.
    This is additive free, Palm oil free, Hazelnut chocolate spread.

I accept that Palm oil is less ecologically damaging than alternatives and I also except that it's in my toothpaste and some soaps (which I regard as essential) but for an indulgence like this, why have Palm oil?

This is home made Hazelnut chocolate spread. I was left with the Dichotomy that the girls love their Nutella but don't like the idea of it containing Palm oil. Given that the local supermarkets - Lidl, Morrissons or Tesco had any of their (online advertised) Palm oil free chocolate spread.

If you're interested, it's quite easy.

Double the following as I halved everything as it was experimental:

30g runny Honey
    125g Dark chocolate
    50mls Double cream
    40g blitzed, roasted Hazelnuts
    50g butter.

Break up the chocolate in a Bain Marie. Let it melt, add the butter and the honey.
    Slowly add the cream and whisk. You may not need all of it. I used 85% dark chocolate but I dare say 70% stuff may not need as much cream.
    If it gets stodgy, add a drop of boiling water until it whisks (thick) but smooth.
    When you are content with the texture, add the Hazelnuts.

I just wonder, for a grown up version, I could add some Amoretti Liquor... Or even Cointreau?

Most health food shops (Holland and Barret and independents) will have the palm free stuff. The Meridien stuff is ok. As is:

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    elbowloh said:

Wie Nutella, ja?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,603
    Biona chocolate spread is really nice. Bit pricey.

https://biona.co.uk/product/biona-organic-dark-chocolate-spread/
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    edited March 2021
    @
    hopkinb said:

pinno said:

Whilst Hoppy is scrubbing his oven dish - and there's no way the dishwasher will sort that...

I accept that Palm oil is less ecologically damaging than alternatives and I also except that it's in my toothpaste and some soaps (which I regard as essential) but for an indulgence like this, why have Palm oil?

This is home made Hazelnut chocolate spread. I was left with the Dichotomy that the girls love their Nutella but don't like the idea of it containing Palm oil. Given that the local supermarkets - Lidl, Morrissons or Tesco had any of their (online advertised) Palm oil free chocolate spread.

30g runny Honey
    125g Dark chocolate
    50mls Double cream
    50g butter.

Break up the chocolate in a Bain Marie. Let it melt, add the butter and the honey.
    Slowly add the cream and whisk. You may not need all of it. I used 85% dark chocolate but I dare say 70% stuff may not need as much cream.
    If it gets stodgy, add a drop of boiling water until it whisks (thick) but smooth.

I just wonder, for a grown up version, I could add some Amoretti Liquor... Or even Cointreau?

Oooh. Did they like it?
    Yes they did. I liked it too. Though personally, I wouldn't have added the honey but I think it lends itself to a better texture as I am a savoury sort of bloke.

@elbowloh : I don't live anywhere near Holland and Barret.
    @pangolin - yep, pricey after p+p. The recipe didn't cost much.
    23p for the butter, 99p for the Chocolate (Lidl), £1 for the Hazelnuts, 10p for the honey (?), 22p for the double cream plus some cooking.
    Sweet Freedom - can't get it here but it doesn't conatain the Hazelnuts.

Not sure what part of 'I live in the sticks' you lot don't quite get...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Spatchcock baby chicken tonight.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • elbowloh
    pinno said:

@

hopkinb said:

pinno said:

30g runny Honey
    125g Dark chocolate
    50mls Double cream
    50g butter.

Oooh. Did they like it?
    Yes they did. I liked it too. Though personally, I wouldn't have added the honey but I think it lends itself to a better texture as I am a savoury sort of bloke.

@elbowloh : I don't live anywhere near Holland and Barret.
    @pangolin - yep, pricey after p+p. The recipe didn't cost much.
    23p for the butter, 99p for the Chocolate (Lidl), £1 for the Hazelnuts, 10p for the honey (?), 22p for the double cream plus some cooking.
    Sweet Freedom - can't get it here but it doesn't conatain the Hazelnuts.

Not sure what part of 'I live in the sticks' you lot don't quite get...
    Ok, i got mine from Tesco though (delivery)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    edited March 2021
    Iberico secreto, squeeze of lemon. Tuesday treat. Not sure of accompaniment. Something green I expect. Oh yes, I have a fresh savoy cabbage - shred it, fry it in a little oil with a bit of garlic and some chilli (flakes I think - no fresh in the fridge) in there, a squeeze more lemon and a handful of chopped parsley.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    hopkinb said:

pinno said:

Can you not clean up the edge of the Gratin dish before putting it in the oven, you heathen?

That's where all the sauce bubbled up through the potato during cooking. Mrs H³ had to eat at 6:45, so I had to turn up the oven more than I normally would to get hers ready.

One of those metal scourers does the job.
    Now that statement from pinno is one of the key differences between men and women, let it soak vs scrub it and put it in the dishwasher.

akin to asking for directions when driving, although that's long dead now thanks to the internet and mobiles phones/GPS.

Carrying in all the shopping bags in one go vs multiple trips to the car, also gone thanks to home delivery (when they use to).

Ironing.

I'll stop now because there's not enough time for me to list then all :p
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pinno
    edited March 2021
    If I left it in the utility room sink to soak, Mrs Pinno would have got fed up looking at it and then she would scrub it and she would put it in the dishwasher.

Ta da.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    pinno said:

If I left it in the utility room sink to soak, Mrs Pinno would have got fed up looking at it and then she would scrub it and she would put it in the dishwasher.

Ta da.

That's my usual M O.
    She gets fed up of seeing it, looooong before me
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,617
    Here's a good explanation:

https://youtu.be/SZ6mVumHY9I
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    He's ^ quite funny but then he goes off on stuff which isn't so funny because he's a Pastor. Pity.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    hopkinb said:

pinno said:

30g runny Honey
    125g Dark chocolate
    50mls Double cream
    50g butter.

Oooh. Did they like it?
    that looks mega - off to Edwyn tomorrow I go for in-gre-die-nts
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Meat. Went and saw the butcher Jacqueline, daughter of the butcher Patricia, alleged love child of Patrick the bar man.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    About to devour a plate of delish thai chicken green curry, flavour packed with home grown 'thai hot' chilli giving that added powah.

80s musack on t'radio courtesy Gary Davies. Ooh takes me back. Where's me shoulder pads?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

Just over a KG as the midwife said the wife needed more red meat.

Sadly the accompanying bottle of red has run out
  • hopkinb

Just over a KG as the midwife said the wife needed more red meat.

Sadly the accompanying bottle of red has run out

Cor. That looks nice.
  • hopkinb
    Went waitrose for dinner, came back with >3kg piece of reduced Aberdeen Angus rib. For 13.99 a kilo. Silly price. Obviously in total, that's a lot of money, but that's going to be a lot of meals. Cottage pie this week!

• hopkinb

• hopkinb
    A bit fatty, but a 6 hour cook at 65 degrees, then a blast for a couple.of minutes each side in a very hot gas bbq should make for good eating.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Morning!

Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • seanoconn
    That’s a good sized plate of food. I’d swap out the tomatoes for some sausages and add some good quality black pudding.

Really don’t get the appeal of fried tomatoes and even less so tinned tomatoes slopped on to my beautiful fry up, their icky juice running amok. And why the need for tomatoes if you have beans anyway.

Sorry for the grumble. Good job 👍
  • seanoconn
    Lancashire hotpot with Yorkshire pudding and veggies today. My trusty Wüsthof is chomping at the bit.
  • seanoconn
    edited March 2021

Super food
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

Super food

I've reported you for offences under the trade descriptions act.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

Super food

I've reported you for offences under the trade descriptions act.
    Not a blood pudding fan?
  • Stevo_666
    Give me bacon sausage and egg over that any day.
  • hopkinb
    That's the Irish style black pudding. I love them all. Bury style curls, boudin noir, morçilla. It's just sausage. Better than most sausage.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    MattFalle said:

Meat. Went and saw the butcher Jacqueline, daughter of the butcher Patricia, alleged love child of Patrick the bar man.

Right. Butcher shop on Coronation St or in the East End?