The cooking thread and what are you having for dinner tonight beansnikpoh?

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Think the other was called Don Daddy or something. Tried to get the girls threads banned. Both had a severe case of cranial-rectal inversion :)

Anyway, back to the food. Just had dusted cod and mushy peas washed down with some New Zealand plonk called Pikea...

Part of the spring cleaning?
    It looked nice on the shelf in Waitrose.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Stevo_666 said:

Think the other was called Don Daddy or something. Tried to get the girls threads banned. Both had a severe case of cranial-rectal inversion :)

Anyway, back to the food. Just had dusted cod and mushy peas washed down with some New Zealand plonk called Pikea...

Stevo_666 said:

Yeah that was the other one. Good recall Stevo
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

orraloon said:

That sushi does look good. Has to be years since I've had sushi. Indeed from (old befuddled) memory last time would have been on a Belgian weekender with some sashimi, smaaklijk.

Para mi ahora es pollo breast parcelled with sweet pepper, blue cheese, herbs and oven baked with patatas bravas. No pics as I eat not insta.

Did it come in batter?
    Must confess, never had sushi.

nah. its like seaweed and stuff, innit.

its lush - delush and frwsh and full if protein gains.

after 'scratchings, its the king of foods. or should we say the emperor.
    Also full of worms and parasites...
    I've been eating it for years. Just pay for it to be prepared with good fishm, otherwise don't have it. Only time I ever got properly ill in a gastrointestinal sense, it was while I was a veggie for 6 months in India. Mind you, I don't think it was the food. Giardia lamblia is a waterborne bug.

I think mercury is maybe a bigger risk with sushi.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

orraloon said:

That sushi does look good. Has to be years since I've had sushi. Indeed from (old befuddled) memory last time would have been on a Belgian weekender with some sashimi, smaaklijk.

Para mi ahora es pollo breast parcelled with sweet pepper, blue cheese, herbs and oven baked with patatas bravas. No pics as I eat not insta.

Did it come in batter?

I've been eating it for years. Just pay for it to be prepared with good fishm, otherwise don't have it. Only time I ever got properly ill in a gastrointestinal sense, it was while I was a veggie for 6 months in India. Mind you, I don't think it was the food. Giardia lamblia is a waterborne bug.

nah. its pukka, innit.

i've had worse things in my mouth and I'm still here.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

orraloon said:

Did it come in batter?

nah. its pukka, innit.

But do you like the taste of water post desalination tablet?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

orraloon said:

Did it come in batter?

nah. its pukka, innit.

not the greatest tbh. but again, worse things have been in there.
  • pinno
    MattFalle said:

pinno said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

orraloon said:

Did it come in batter?

nah. its pukka, innit.

I quite like the ration pack soups and energy bars but some of it should be classed as quite dangerous for human consumption.
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

pinno said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

orraloon said:

Did it come in batter?

nah. its pukka, innit.

I quite like the ration pack soups and energy bars but some of it should be classed as quite dangerous for human consumption.
    tbh, most of it is hideous but serves a purposes.

Bizarrely, its about £7 a for each meal in the shops but i am at a loss to it because its pretty vile. Into the Widerness or something like that sell it.

but yup, agree with you re soups - that noodle is nice.

They are now doing packets of cola bottles in there and they rock.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,200
    Finally remembered the large bag in the freezer of the carefully selected good sized excess crop raspberries. Mmm mmm mmm. Simple serve with natural yoghurt. 👍 for March in the cold dUK.
  • pinno
    edited March 2021
    So that ^ was the Vit C hit 'Loon.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Oddly not hungry at all today which is a first :/
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin

These were however amazeballs
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin

Two more dinners there chicken tikka masala bland a loo
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    itboffin said:

Innerestin'

Look good. What are they?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    Had wood fired pizza from a hut outside Priory Farm shop in South Nutfield and ate it in the car with wife and kids overlooking a park.

That's a present day, lockdown outing.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb

The lamb before cooking. Left at room temp for 2 hours. 2.3 kg short leg. 30 mins at 220c, 30 mins at 165c. Got it to 61 degrees at the bone. 45 min rest brought it to perfectly medium. All cooking guidelines would have ruined it, extra 30 mins at least. A thermapen is a worthwhile investment.

If you're within M25, HG Walter butchers, next day delivery. No connection.
  • hopkinb
    So much left for shepherd's pie. Bulked out with some puy lentils, there's another 2 meals for 4.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,200
    Mmm. Looks good. Continuing the lamb theme, but this time a one pot minced lamb, peppers, the onion garlic ginger chilli std base, tomato, sweet potato, ras el hanout, lime, turmeric etc etc, served combined with red lentil fusilli and wild rocket dressing.

Getting a thing for that red lentil pasta equivalent. Is off the gluten free shelf, not a prob for me, but actually liking its texture.
  • elbowloh
    orraloon said:

Mmm. Looks good. Continuing the lamb theme, but this time a one pot minced lamb, peppers, the onion garlic ginger chilli std base, tomato, sweet potato, ras el hanout, lime, turmeric etc etc, served combined with red lentil fusilli and wild rocket dressing.

Getting a thing for that red lentil pasta equivalent. Is off the gluten free shelf, not a prob for me, but actually liking its texture.

Wasn't that Liam Neeson's character in Batman Begins?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    I looked it up:

"Commonly used ingredients include cardamom, cumin, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, allspice, dry ginger, chili peppers, coriander seed, peppercorn, sweet and hot paprika, fenugreek, and dry turmeric."

The only thing I don't have is Mace.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    pinno said:

I looked it up:

"Commonly used ingredients include cardamom, cumin, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, allspice, dry ginger, chili peppers, coriander seed, peppercorn, sweet and hot paprika, fenugreek, and dry turmeric."

The only thing I don't have is Mace.

Mace, the cover of nutmeg.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • itboffin
    elbowloh said:

itboffin said:

Innerestin'

Look good. What are they?
    Chipotle pork loin marinated for 48 hours, orange, jalapeño, coriander, avocado with red onion on toasted wraps
  • hopkinb
    Shep pie. With leftover roast potato topping. Probably sideways. Or upside down. Bit left V68, but the bastards will probably fight you for it.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,603
    hopkinb said:

Shep pie. With leftover roast potato topping. Probably sideways. Or upside down. Bit left V68, but the bastards will probably fight you for it.

Are those kidney beans?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh
    pangolin said:

hopkinb said:

Are those kidney beans?
    Fava beans...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    No beans. I just did leftover lamb chopped up with lots of onion, carrot, garlic, rosemary, leftover gravy, spot of wine, bit of stock. I was going to pad out with lentils, but couldn't quite be arsed.
  • pinno
    Can you not clean up the edge of the Gratin dish before putting it in the oven, you heathen?
  • pinno
    edited March 2021
    Whilst Hoppy is scrubbing his oven dish - and there's no way the dishwasher will sort that...

No it's not the contents of Seano's long drop and it ain't made from Bisto.
    This is additive free, Palm oil free, Hazelnut chocolate spread.

I accept that Palm oil is less ecologically damaging than alternatives and I also except that it's in my toothpaste and some soaps (which I regard as essential) but for an indulgence like this, why have Palm oil?

This is home made Hazelnut chocolate spread. I was left with the Dichotomy that the girls love their Nutella but don't like the idea of it containing Palm oil. Given that the local supermarkets - Lidl, Morrissons or Tesco had any of their (online advertised) Palm oil free chocolate spread.

If you're interested, it's quite easy.

Double the following as I halved everything as it was experimental:

30g runny Honey
    125g Dark chocolate
    50mls Double cream
    40g blitzed, roasted Hazelnuts
    50g butter.

Break up the chocolate in a Bain Marie. Let it melt, add the butter and the honey.
    Slowly add the cream and whisk. You may not need all of it. I used 85% dark chocolate but I dare say 70% stuff may not need as much cream.
    If it gets stodgy, add a drop of boiling water until it whisks (thick) but smooth.
    When you are content with the texture, add the Hazelnuts.

I just wonder, for a grown up version, I could add some Amoretti Liquor... Or even Cointreau?
  • hopkinb
    pinno said:

Can you not clean up the edge of the Gratin dish before putting it in the oven, you heathen?

That's where all the sauce bubbled up through the potato during cooking. Mrs H³ had to eat at 6:45, so I had to turn up the oven more than I normally would to get hers ready.

One of those metal scourers does the job.
  • hopkinb
    pinno said:

Whilst Hoppy is scrubbing his oven dish - and there's no way the dishwasher will sort that...

No it's not the contents of Seano's long drop and it ain't made from Bisto.
    This is additive free, Palm oil free, Hazelnut chocolate spread.

I accept that Palm oil is less ecologically damaging than alternatives and I also except that it's in my toothpaste and some soaps (which I regard as essential) but for an indulgence like this, why have Palm oil?

This is home made Hazelnut chocolate spread. I was left with the Dichotomy that the girls love their Nutella but don't like the idea of it containing Palm oil. Given that the local supermarkets - Lidl, Morrissons or Tesco had any of their (online advertised) Palm oil free chocolate spread.

If you're interested, it's quite easy.

Double the following as I halved everything as it was experimental:

30g runny Honey
    125g Dark chocolate
    50mls Double cream
    40g blitzed, roasted Hazelnuts
    50g butter.

Break up the chocolate in a Bain Marie. Let it melt, add the butter and the honey.
    Slowly add the cream and whisk. You may not need all of it. I used 85% dark chocolate but I dare say 70% stuff may not need as much cream.
    If it gets stodgy, add a drop of boiling water until it whisks (thick) but smooth.
    When you are content with the texture, add the Hazelnuts.

I just wonder, for a grown up version, I could add some Amoretti Liquor... Or even Cointreau?

Oooh. Did they like it?