The cooking thread and what are you having for dinner tonight beansnikpoh?

Comments

• If you have not tried it, anchovies are great with lamb.
    The fishiness dies off and adds to the meat.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    What's not to like about salty fish?!
    I love 'em. I know I love most grub, but I do like a nice white anchovy. The dark ones are ok to cook with, they just melt away.

Wooooosh
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    no. anchovies are sick, sick, sick. vile obnoxious shyyyt of the oceans.

whitebait though are lovely. can eat them until the cows come home.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    as an aside though, last week i went for dinner with a young lady who's smile was simply magnificent and i could gaze at it all day. although she was very pretty, great fun to be with and we did turn heads as we strolled arm in arm together, she was, however, utterly fukkkkking mental. she ain't having my Kalash.

i regret to this day passing up the coniglio that was on the menu. i haven't had a nice piece of coniglio in ages. regrets: i have a few......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pinno wrote:

Content yourself with a packet of scampi fries
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

None of you are with it.
    I give up.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Obvs no one is on the same salty fish vibe as Pinno.
    Goddamn, that roast Galician rump was fine. It's from herds up to 15 years old. Absolutely bursting with flavour. Seared then roasted to 47 degrees internal temperature and left for 15 mins to rest. I opened a 2005 Ch. Carbonnieux rouge earlier today and decanted. An excellent match. All in all a welcome treat.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

https://youtu.be/Mz4XIldOb2E
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Now the slight tanginess from the lemon is reminiscent of something...
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • hopkinb wrote:
    Goddamn, that roast Galician rump was fine. It's from herds up to 15 years old. Absolutely bursting with flavour. Seared then roasted to 47 degrees internal temperature and left for 15 mins to rest. I opened a 2005 Ch. Carbonnieux rouge earlier today and decanted. An excellent match. All in all a welcome treat.
    Blimey that sounds great. We had roast chicken with the usual veggies. Did extra veggies and gravy as this will form the basis of an awesome bhuna later this week with the left over chicken.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    Blimey that sounds great. We had roast chicken with the usual veggies. Did extra veggies and gravy as this will form the basis of an awesome bhuna later this week with the left over chicken.

this exactly - roast chicken with all the trimmings, vino rosso. leftovers turned into soup for lunch tomorrow.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I see.

Pinno's recipe tips #4

Left overs from a roast turkey/chicken/duck.

For the gravy: Put the left over roast spuds and veg in a pot, add a stock cube and water (chicken or vegetable; your choice) chuck in a roughly cut onion or two, add 3/4 to a pint of water. Bring to boil then Simmer for at least 45 mins. Make sure there is a decent handful of spuds and if not, add some.
    You can add some of the fatty meat/stubborn parts of the carcass to it.

Take the Poultry meat off the bone(s).
    Chop 2 to 3 leeks and 2 onions or Shallots sliced.
    Fry them gently in a deep pan in oil and butter. Fry in the left over meat. Cook with a lid on top until the onions and leeks are softened but not too soft and then add lashings of black pepper and some salt. Take off the heat immediately the veg is softened.
    Allow to cool.

Take 500g of Puff pastry and roll into a square roughly 15-16" wide.
    Place the leek, poultry and onion mix onto the middle of a decent baking tray. Place the puff pastry on top and form a pillow shape with the pastry neatly wrapping everything. Brush the pastry in beaten milk and egg. Place in a pre heated oven at 175 deg until the pastry is golden brown and risen. (roughly 20 to 25 mins).

Meanwhile, mash your stock pot to buggery. Drain the fluid off leaving bits of poultry, large onion remains etc. Set aside.

There's a few way of doing the next bit, I prefer the German thickening method.
    Take two dessert spoons of plain flour and mix to a paste with pure sunflower oil.

Heat a pan up and add butter. You can add a touch of white wine (dry or medium dry). When the butter starts to spit a little, add your stock juices. Bring up to bubbling and add very slowly and with a whisk, add (using a teaspoon) some flour and oil paste to thicken. I like to add some good old fashioned gravy browning because although your gravy should be very tasty, it looks a bit anaemic. Season.
    Sometimes, given enough potato and some nifty drainage work, it does not require any thickening. This is preferred over any other method.

Serve the 'pie' and gravy with mash and a nice crisp bouquetière of vegetables (mange tout goes well with this).
  • hopkinb
    Yum. Nice one Pinno.
  • hopkinb
    The boy's lunch tomorrow.
    20181111-204145.jpg
  • pinno
    I'm in a minority I know but I cannot stand rare meat.
    We evolved through fire and with it came the ability to cook meat so that it is easier to digest.

This to me, is devolution.
  • ballysmate
    Left overs?
    Could someone please explain the concept?

I love my beef rare. I've heard it said that a good vet could get my steak back on its feet.
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Left overs?

:D
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I see.

Pinno's recipe tips #4

Left overs from a roast turkey/chicken/duck.

For the gravy: Put the left over roast spuds and veg in a pot, add a stock cube and water (chicken or vegetable; your choice) chuck in a roughly cut onion or two, add 3/4 to a pint of water. Bring to boil then Simmer for at least 45 mins. Make sure there is a decent handful of spuds and if not, add some.
    You can add some of the fatty meat/stubborn parts of the carcass to it.

Take the Poultry meat off the bone(s).
    Chop 2 to 3 leeks and 2 onions or Shallots sliced.
    Fry them gently in a deep pan in oil and butter. Fry in the left over meat. Cook with a lid on top until the onions and leeks are softened but not too soft and then add lashings of black pepper and some salt. Take off the heat immediately the veg is softened.
    Allow to cool.

Take 500g of Puff pastry and roll into a square roughly 15-16" wide.
    Place the leek, poultry and onion mix onto the middle of a decent baking tray. Place the puff pastry on top and form a pillow shape with the pastry neatly wrapping everything. Brush the pastry in beaten milk and egg. Place in a pre heated oven at 175 deg until the pastry is golden brown and risen. (roughly 20 to 25 mins).

Meanwhile, mash your stock pot to buggery. Drain the fluid off leaving bits of poultry, large onion remains etc. Set aside.

There's a few way of doing the next bit, I prefer the German thickening method.
    Take two dessert spoons of plain flour and mix to a paste with pure sunflower oil.

Heat a pan up and add butter. You can add a touch of white wine (dry or medium dry). When the butter starts to spit a little, add your stock juices. Bring up to bubbling and add very slowly and with a whisk, add (using a teaspoon) some flour and oil paste to thicken. I like to add some good old fashioned gravy browning because although your gravy should be very tasty, it looks a bit anaemic. Season.
    Sometimes, given enough potato and some nifty drainage work, it does not require any thickening. This is preferred over any other method.

Serve the 'pie' and gravy with mash and a nice crisp bouquetière of vegetables (mange tout goes well with this).

that does sound nice. veritable winter warmer.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    20181111-204145.jpg

that looks utterly delish.

please can i move into your pad and you can be the father I never had and feed me delish food?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    That's more medium than rare. It had come up to 52 degrees after the rest. Perfectly moist, very tasty. I'm not going to spend money and then dry it out. I slightly overcooked a steak once and mini sent it back. :shock: :roll:

Last week was beef ribs from the supermarket, cooked for 7 hours. Horses for courses, if you'll pardon the pun. :wink:
  • ballysmate
    Would need to trim the fat off. Can't stand biting into something and getting that squishy feeling.
  • hopkinb

please can i move into your pad and you can be the father I never had and feed me delish food?

Yep, as long as you be the mother I never had and fix my sore knee. :cry:
  • hopkinb
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Would need to trim the fat off. Can't stand biting into something and getting that squishy feeling.
    Promise you bally, this is all rendered out, it's ephemeral, just melts on your tongue in a beefy kind of way. A bit like marrow.
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Left overs?

You have to admit, that my recipe is the a thing you can do to a Turkay to make it palatable.
    Roast it. Eat some of it. Then the next day do something to it to make it actually taste good.

Left over roast beef and raw onion in a buttered soft roll. Now you're talking.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:

Yep, as long as you be the mother I never had and fix my sore knee. :cry:

deal deal ian beale.

i'm on the train now.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ballysmate
    Not fans of turkey chez Bally. We never have it, even at Xmas. Beef and pork for us on Xmas day.
    I wonder how many others feel the same, but have turkey for 'tradition'? If it was that tasty, it would be flying off supermarket shelves all year round.
  • pinno
    We don't have Turkey.
    Had Duck a few times.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    hopkinb wrote:
    20181111-204145.jpg
    A good vet could have that back on it's feet again...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Not fans of turkey chez Bally. We never have it, even at Xmas. Beef and pork for us on Xmas day.
    I wonder how many others feel the same, but have turkey for 'tradition'? If it was that tasty, it would be flying off supermarket shelves all year round.
    Me. Won't have it in the house. I tried. I tried for so many years. Best I ever did was to do quick roast the crown in a ton of butter, and braised the legs and other bits the day before in a giblet stock, with bacon, mushrooms, port. It was good, but it left me a shell of a man. So much work.
    Good beef on the day. Big roast ham Xmas eve, slices through to new year, though it's never lasted that long.
  • pinno
    Well?