Head gone

124»

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479

On my first day back in the office after a 3rd break in 9 weeks. Sat here not sure how long this will last right now.

I'm waiting for our OH team to work through something and am starting CBT on Monday. Hopefully this will allow me to find coping strategies. I'm totally numb right now and even during my time off have just been kinda floating. Apologies for those not interested, but I feel this could be a useful place for me to put my thoughts at the moment.

I'm looking at alternative employment at the minute as a potential outlet from this feeling.

• @Tashman Not just useful, but an important part of the process to discuss these things and be aware of how you are feeling at present, so do continue to share any posts/updates you wish to. I have always found CBT to be most effective for me, so hopefully it will see some good results for yourself. I have always had a sneaking suspicion that most 'everyday' mental health challenges; depression, OCD, anxiety etc. (not talking full scale psychiatric disorders here) share very similar traits and many of the same initiatives can be taken to help address them. I guess some of the key things I learned over the years can pretty much be summed up in the following:

• Talk about it. Never stop talking about it, have someone or people in your everyday life that you are able to talk about your feelings and thoughts with. You don't necessarily need answers to problems, just talking about it keeps you aware of your wellbeing and eases the pressure.
    • Get comfortable talking about it. I am lucky, I have an OH and am very close to my mom. I can tell them anything that pops into my head, anything I am feeling and I know they understand it.
    • Understand that it is a condition, and not your personality. It can be treated and managed. You might have to accept it will always be there but you can control it and live your everyday life.
    • Find things you enjoy and commit to doing them. They are a pleasure and also a distraction. I am under no illusion that riding a bike is my version of sitting on a therapists couch.
    • Push yourself when it gets difficult. The inclination when you are in a low state is often to succumb to it. Recognise it but also push yourself to still do things you enjoy, even if you aren't finding them enjoyable. Part of this is getting used to living with the feeling of being uncomfortable and knowing it won't last.
    • Accept the things that play a factor in your mental state. We probably all have some issues/drivers that underpin our mental health. They might be things we can never resolve but you learn to accept them

The best thing I ever did was go part time at work. I was fortunate that it was financially viable and not everyone has the luxury, but dedicating most of my life to actually living it has been a massive part in keeping me happy over the last 15 years.

Finally, try and see it as a logical challenge (try and take the emotion out of it if possible). That way you can find solutions to it, not just short term but longer term strategies. I think where a lot of people really struggle is when they can't get past the emotional response and the fear of their mental health. Try and see it as a problem that can be broken down into logical steps and addressed with the right tools.

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479

Thank you for taking the time to respond at length. I also have an OH who is very good, I just need to get better at the talking bit. I can be too British for my own good sometimes!

I know there's no magic bullet and am still having low days when I was off too that reduce me to a jibbering wreck for no apparent reason. Hopefully the medication is helping to smooth the peaks and troughs there too.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

Don’t have anything to add to Midlands helpful post but wishing you good health Tashman and sending you positive thoughts 👍

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655

Yeah, chin up.

There is always light at the end of the tunnel - just sometimes it’s around the corner and you can’t see it yet.

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 349

Goodluck Tashman. Good advice given by others both in the past and recently. Sadly been through stuff myself without help and its taken me a long time to come around properly much to my wife's delight.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.