TDF 2018, Stage 19: Lourdes > Laruns 27/07/2018 - 200,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,942
    what a lovely lady being interviewed on itv4
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    sherer wrote:
    anyone else feel the KOM jersey hasnt really come alive this year.. Alaphillippe has gone for a few climbs but no one else is really in the hunt for it... seems to be the jersey people will by default

never comes alive thou does it.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,340
    sherer wrote:
    anyone else feel the KOM jersey hasnt really come alive this year.. Alaphillippe has gone for a few climbs but no one else is really in the hunt for it... seems to be the jersey people will by default

I don't think you can say Alaphilipe won it by default, he worked bloody hard for it, and won two mountain stages.
    The competition hasn't come alive because he pretty much killed it, like Sagan killed the green jersey comp. He went in almost every break in the mountains and sprinted for all the HC and Cat 1 points.

Barguil also targeted the spots, but he just wasn't anywhere near good enough. 6 of the other top ten in the comp are GC riders that took their points on the MTFs where the GC battles happened (this always happens). The other two are Majka and Mollema, who went into the race with GC ambitions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,861
    edited July 2018
    Sagan dropped....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • G Hincapie wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:
    I did the Solour and Tourmalet on the 2010 Etape.

It was horrible.

I climbed the Tourmalet in 2011. It was the first time I had ever climbed a proper mountain. You are in a different position on the bike for a long time (I can only climb seated) and I'm embarrassed to say my 'old fella' was very numb. I was also a little tired. I did it the day before the Tour went up it though and the support from spectators was incredible. Awesome descent! :mrgreen:

George, I am sure you romped over the Tourmalet like it was a molehill during your drug-fuelled UPS days?
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    :lol: Did Sky offer Jungels a bonus if he got in the break today? :lol: They must be overjoyed with the amount of work Katusha are doing here.
  • blazing_saddles

_102656197_img_7628.jpg
  • mididoctors

_102656197_img_7628.jpg

that individual came across like a ray of sunshine.
  • mididoctors
    :lol: Did Sky offer Jungels a bonus if he got in the break today? :lol: They must be overjoyed with the amount of work Katusha are doing here.

going to open the race up thou to late attacks if that gap is small though..its not all good.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    Oh man, Sagan.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Sagan is really suffering, or he's putting on a Voeckler show.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Sagan looks absolutely dead. Pedalling squares with 120k to go. May miss the time cut off the way it's going.
  • mididoctors
    G Hincapie wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:
    I did the Solour and Tourmalet on the 2010 Etape.

It was horrible.

I climbed the Tourmalet in 2011. It was the first time I had ever climbed a proper mountain. You are in a different position on the bike for a long time (I can only climb seated) and I'm embarrassed to say my 'old fella' was very numb. I was also a little tired. I did it the day before the Tour went up it though and the support from spectators was incredible. Awesome descent! :mrgreen:

I raced up the Soulor back in the day (amateur). attacked and got off the front! ....detonated so hard there are pieces of me still there by the roadside...just as you approach the arrens bench.

I didn't win.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

going to open the race up thou to late attacks if that gap is small though..its not all good.

Not sure late attacks are going to be much to worry about if they get to the Tourmalet without Rowe having been on the front.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Milton50 wrote:
    Sagan looks absolutely dead. Pedalling squares with 120k to go. May miss the time cut off the way it's going.

In his favour, there were 80km before they hit the real climbing, which gives a little extra padding.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I don't often feel it for Sagan (well, never), but that would be a lot of effort wasted if he does not make it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163
    Sagan gets the cameras on him the whole time, unlike Demare (and others)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    Death by a thousand cuts for Sagan, it seems.
    Despite all the animation, the race is on the slowest schedule....
  • mididoctors
    Oh man, Sagan.

cathedrals of pain.... real long holy ride in purgatory there.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Sagan could barely manage the steps to sign on.
  • mididoctors

Not sure late attacks are going to be much to worry about if they get to the Tourmalet without Rowe having been on the front.

yeah i guess...if Rowe makes it over the bad way it's going to dent ambition somewhat.
  • mididoctors
    the headwind in the valley between the Tourmalet and the Soulor really deters attacks a long way out without teammates up front.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    The winds suddenly died down up here...
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    So Movistar with two riders in the break and Soler was trying to bridge at one point (anyone know where he is?)

Either trying to cement the team classification, stage hunting, or handy riders for Quintana.
  • mididoctors
    gsk82 wrote:
    you at the top of the tourmalet?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    gsk82 wrote:

Where are you, have you got a sign?

And any reports from the Aubisque descent that was repaired after the landlside?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    What are Katusha doing?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    gsk82 wrote:

Where are you, have you got a sign?

And any reports from the Aubisque descent that was repaired after the landlside?

Im on the final hairpin bend of the tourmalet climb.

I descended the aubisque yesterday. Its as god as new.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    What are Katusha doing?

Chasing Jungels for Zakarin.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Presumably Chavanel has set the new record for stages of TdF completed now?