TDF 2018, Stage 19: Lourdes > Laruns 27/07/2018 - 200,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    If you're Dumolin your best best, if you want to risk it (and that is quite a big if), is put Thomas under pressure on the Aubisque descent.

Thomas has lost more than he should have in unlucky crashes...
    It has to be worth a shot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFWt_MKViKs
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    DeadCalm wrote:
    A scenario:

Roglic attacks half way up the Tourmalet and is marked by Froome who is feeling super strong. They've got 30 metres on Dumoulin and Geraint who are just starting to close the gap. Bernal has been dropped and we don't know how far down the road he is. Over the radio, Froome hears Geraint's voice. "I've punctured. I need a wheel. Wait for me."

What does Froome do? What should Froome do?

Unrealistic! :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    A scenario:

Roglic attacks half way up the Tourmalet and is marked by Froome who is feeling super strong. They've got 30 metres on Dumoulin and Geraint who are just starting to close the gap. Bernal has been dropped and we don't know how far down the road he is. Over the radio, Froome hears Geraint's voice. "I've punctured. I need a wheel. Wait for me."

Half way up the Tourmalet with the whole team out the back and Froome off the front?
    What does GT do?

Wake up. It must be time for his breakfast.
    Doh! I meant the Aubisque. :oops:

For what it is worth, I think Froome would play the good teammate.

No brainer.
    Roglic is a threat. Froome has to sit on his wheel.
    Thomas gets himself sorted and by then, Bernal and Poels at least would be there.
    They ride to limit Thomas's loses, which can be up to a minute and a half.

Where is Dumoulin when all this is going on?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    A scenario:

Half way up the Tourmalet with the whole team out the back and Froome off the front?
    What does GT do?

Wake up. It must be time for his breakfast.
    Doh! I meant the Aubisque. :oops:

For what it is worth, I think Froome would play the good teammate.

No brainer.
    Roglic is a threat. Froome has to sit on his wheel.
    Thomas gets himself sorted and by then, Bernal and Poels at least would be there.
    They ride to limit Thomas's loses, which can be up to a minute and a half.

Where is Dumoulin when all this is going on?
    Closing on Froome and Roglic. I'm envisaging the same situation as Wednesday where Roglic goes, Froome marks him. Dumoulin closes the gap at his own pace with Geraint marking him.
  • blazing_saddles
    They are off.
    The break should get sorted in about one hour and a half...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    DeadCalm wrote:
    If you're Dumolin your best best, if you want to risk it (and that is quite a big if), is put Thomas under pressure on the Aubisque descent.

I'm not sure how much time can actually be taken there though, what do you reckon, 30"? A minute?
    Thomas can probably give Dumoulin up to a minute and still be in yellow after the TT (barring accidents obv). So he can most likely keep it calm on the descent even if Dumoulin attacks there.

I don't see today going any other way than Sky exerting maximum control. If Thomas has the legs today he's had so far then there's not really anyone that can make much of a dent.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    DeadCalm wrote:

I'm not sure how much time can actually be taken there though, what do you reckon, 30"? A minute?
    Thomas can probably give Dumoulin up to a minute and still be in yellow after the TT (barring accidents obv). So he can most likely keep it calm on the descent even if Dumoulin attacks there.

I don't see today going any other way than Sky exerting maximum control. If Thomas has the legs today he's had so far then there's not really anyone that can make much of a dent.

Depends if he falls off or not.

You won't beat him tactically or on legs.
  • blazing_saddles
    Sagan really struggling on that 4th cat.
  • rick_chasey
    Sagan in the pain cave.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Sagan in the pain cave.

You may be able to hear cheers somewhere in the city... if he doesn't make it and Kristoff does, my man gets the green jersey :twisted:
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash wrote:
    Sagan in the pain cave.

You may be able to hear cheers somewhere in the city... if he doesn't make it and Kristoff does, my man gets the green jersey :twisted:

Savage - city boys have no shame... ;).
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Sunweb look very aggressive, might not be a day for the breakaway.

Good day to WFH :D
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    Gweeds wrote:
    I did the Solour and Tourmalet on the 2010 Etape.

It was horrible.

I climbed the Tourmalet in 2011. It was the first time I had ever climbed a proper mountain. You are in a different position on the bike for a long time (I can only climb seated) and I'm embarrassed to say my 'old fella' was very numb. I was also a little tired. I did it the day before the Tour went up it though and the support from spectators was incredible. Awesome descent! :mrgreen:
  • bobmcstuff
    Yates, Kangaert, Jungels trying to get across to the break, then there would be a reasonable breakaway with a decent shout.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    dish_dash wrote:
    Sagan in the pain cave.

Meh, Gekko eats sh1t in the end.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Col d'Aspin has cows at the top that try to lick the salt off you. This was not to my liking.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    I’m praying to all gods that G survives today as I’ve just booked my accommodation in Paris for Sunday night. I see today as the final obstacle (through crashes - he’s clearly the in form GC rider).
  • bobmcstuff
    Break has now gone with 2'32", but there are a lot of other riders trying to bridge - the peloton has sat up.

Yates is in the front group, there's 2 chasing groups (I think one has Alaphilippe).
  • bobmcstuff
    Yep Ala is in a chasing group at 59s and Mollema in another at 1'03"
  • bobmcstuff
    Looks like there's a couple of Movistar in the break so they might try something. In Sky's interests to let them get an enormous advantage now,
  • FocusZing
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Looks like there's a couple of Movistar in the break so they might try something. In Sky's interests to let them get an enormous advantage now,

When Landa was interviewed he said they were trying to protect team GC, but hopefully they will try something. He's done nothing spectacular yet.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    hoping Sagan can hang in there but it's going to be a long day for him.. would be a shame if he had to pull out
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    FocusZing wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

When Landa was interviewed he said they were trying to protect team GC, but hopefully they will try something. He's done nothing spectacular yet.

Isn't that a bit pathetic if that's the extent of their ambition? Team GC is irrelevant.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    G Hincapie wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Isn't that a bit pathetic if that's the extent of their ambition? Team GC is irrelevant.
    Movistar often end up caring about it a lot though, albeit probably only after they've screwed up on individual GC yet again.
  • FocusZing
    G Hincapie wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

I agree. I guess something is better than nothing, especially when Sky are clearly dominant and Thomas/Froome are strong at TTs
  • blazing_saddles
    What are Katusha about?
    Zakarin winning a downhill finish is as likely as Quintana bursting into spontaneous laughter.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    dish_dash wrote:
    Sagan in the pain cave.

Savage - city boys have no shame... ;).

clearly
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    What are Katusha about?
    Zakarin winning a downhill finish is as likely as Quintana bursting into spontaneous laughter.

Jungels is in the break. Zakarin is OK at TT isn't he? So chance of a top ten finish, but not if Jungels goes ahead.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    G Hincapie wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

And they have a 24 min lead in that.
    Not likely to improve their individual final GC placings, so an attempt on this stage would seem to be their only way of lifting their haul.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    anyone else feel the KOM jersey hasnt really come alive this year.. Alaphillippe has gone for a few climbs but no one else is really in the hunt for it... seems to be the jersey people will by default