TDF 2018, Stage 19: Lourdes > Laruns 27/07/2018 - 200,5 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
edited July 2018 in Pro race
Lourdes > Laruns 27/07/2018 - Stage 19 - 200,5 km

Stage 19 of the Tour de France 2018 is 200.5km from Lourdes to Laruns. Christian Prudhomme says, 'there are no miracles in cycling but this stage from Lourdes represents the last opportunity to shake up the GC in direct confrontation. The series of climbs - Aspin, Tourmalet, Bordères, Soulor, Aubisque, amounting to an altitude gain of 4,800 metres - could decide the destiny of the Yellow Jersey. Possibly the Queen Stage, (Alpe d'Huez for me) although the finish is 20 kilometres after the Aubisque in the valley.

stage-19-route.jpg?05

stage-19-profile.jpg?22

The stage starts at Lourdes, a small town which has attracted a large number of visitors since the Virgin Mary appeared to a girl called Bernadette here. Spring water from a source in Lourdes is associated with miracle cures.

lourdes-basilique-immaculate-conception.jpg

The riders head east from Lourdes. They soon come to the first categorised climb, the Côte de Loucrup: Category 4, 1.8km at 7.2%, reaching 532m. The riders who are eyeing up a place in the breakaway could launch their attacks on Côte de Loucrup with its crest at kilometre 7.They continue towards the spa town of Bagnères-de-Bigorre.

bagneres-de-bigorre-thermes.jpg

The phoney war - the early part of the stage before the climbing begins in earnest - continues as the riders cycle further east from Bagnères-de-Bigorre to Capvern. Between Capvern-les-Bains and Capvern is the Category 4 Côte de Capvern-les-Bains: 3.4km at 5.1%, reaching 604m, after 36 kilometres.
From Capvern, the peloton turns and heads south. The route reaches the D929, which goes up the Vallée d'Aure, running between the river Neste d'Aure and the Canal de Neste to Sarrancolin. The intermediate sprint is at Sarrancolin. Further up the river valley is Arreau, which marks the start of the Category 1 climb of the Col d'Aspin.

arreau-centre.jpg

The 12 kilometres climb at 6.5% is crested at kilometre 78.5. Although the Aspin featured in many editions of the Tour de France the race seldom finishes on this summit. When the climb is in the finale it usually precedes a short drop to arrival place Lac du Payolle. Like it did in 2016, when Stephen Cummings soloed to victory.

lac-de-payolle.jpg

col-d%27aspin-climb-profile.png

They continue down to Sainte-Marie-de-Campan, where there's a statue of Eugène Christophe.

3280576622_1_3_LDVffYNm.jpg

Now the riders turn left to tackle the Tourmalet. The ascent is not ridden from foot to top, but the remaining 17.1 kilometres at 7.3% are arduous enough. The first 6 kilometres are relatively easy, but the rest of the slope is marked by 8% plus gradients. The Tourmalet is an iconic ascent on the Tour. Looking at the last decade, there were only two editions without the Pyrenees giant – in 2013 and 2017. The Col du Tourmalet is the highest mountain pass in the Pyrenees with a tarmacked road. (There are higher roads, and higher mountain passes, but no higher mountain pass with a road). It has been included in the Tour de France 85 times.

col-du-tourmalet-profile-2018.jpg

col-du-tourmalet-view.jpg

At the top of the Col du Tourmalet, there's a memorial to Jacques Goddet, director of the Tour de France from 1936 to 1987. The first rider to get to the top wins the Souvenir Jacques Goddet prize.
The Tourmalet is crested halfway through the 19th stage – at kilometre 108 to be precise. Following the descent to Argelès-Gazost the riders hit the Col des Bordères – 8.6 kilometres at 5.8% – and after a short descent the Col de Soulor kicks in. This is one of the shortest yet steepest climbs of the day – 7 kilometres long and averaging 8.4%.

PICT0409_1.JPG

Hardly any time for a breather, as the Soulor seamlessly changes its name to Aubisque and on we go, although there actually is a difference. The Aubisque has an iconic ring to it, but the climb is not as hard as its predecessor. The first 2 kilometres are a false flat, then the gradients are hovering around 4% for 3 kilometres before the last 2.5 kilometres climb uphill at 7%. The Soulor has not been awarded a KOM, instead the Soulor and Aubisque are seen as one ascent, amounting to 16.6 kilometres and averaging 4.9%

stage-19-borderes-aubisque.jpg

Col-dAubisque_05.jpg

It’s been a while since the Tour last climbed the Aubisque. Six editions ago Thomas Voeckler was the first rider to crest and he went on to win the stage in Bagnères-de-Luchon, 140 kilometres down the road. Just like in 2012, the stage does not end at the Aubisque, although the finish lies much closer this time.
There's 19.5km of downhill to the finish. The riders soon pass the ski resort of Gourette. Further down is Eaux-Bonnes, before the finish at Laruns.

Video of the final 5kms.
https://youtu.be/FZ37ZZME2qM

stage-19-finish.jpg?03

stage-19-5km.jpg?05

Favourites 19th stage 2018 Tour de France

*** Romain Bardet, Tom Dumoulin, Primoz Roglic, Nairo Quintana
** Chris Froome, Geraint Thomas, Mikel Landa, Steven Kruijswijk
* Robert Gesink, Bauke Mollema, Adam Yates, Daniel Martin, Julian Alaphilippe or a random breakaway.

The team hotels for this stage.

stage-19-hotel.jpg?01

Lourdes

Four previous stages

14,361 inhabitants (Lourdais, Lourdaises)

Lourdes welcomes every year millions of visitors from every continent to share stories, encounters and emotions. Since 1858, they come as pilgrims to pray on the site where a young girl, Bernadette Soubirous, met the Virgin Mary in a cave close to the river. They also come to a place of fraternity and spirituality but also to discover an exceptional site in the heart of the Pyrenees. To celebrate the 160 years of the apparitions, Lourdes scheduled a wide range of cultural, sporting and entertaining events all year.

LOURDES AND CYCLING

The third largest pilgrimage in the Catholic religion, with 5 million visitors each year, also receives the Tour de France occasionally. The first finish in Lourdes crowned an ideal winner in Gidno Bartali, dubbed “the Pious”. That day, the Italian took his winner’s flowers to the cave and dedicated his second Tour de France victory, en years after the first, to Notre-Dame de Lourdes. He regularly returned to pray in the cave every time he rode in the area. Other stages finished at the top of the nearby ski resort of Hautacam but the last stage to reach Lourdes was won by Norway’s Thor Hushovd, at the time sporting the world champion jersey.

Specialities: spit cake, black pork of Bigorre, Pailhasson chocolates, Malespine sweets, Pyrenees cheese, garbure (soup), Tarbes beans.

plat-de-c%C3%B4tes-de-porc-noir-de-Bigorre-sauce-hoisin.jpg

Laruns

1 previous stage

Commune of Pyrénées-Atlantiques (64)

1,215 inhabitants (Larunsois, Larunsoises)

Artouste train.
The Artouste train celebrated its 80th anniversary in 2012. Created to transport the men and equipment needed for the construction of the Artouste lake dam in 1920, it became a tourist attraction in 1932. Starting from the Fabrèges Lake, a vertiginous climb of 1,250 m to 2,000 m aboard a gondola lift provides an exceptional panorama over the Pic du Midi d'Ossau. Once at the top, it is time to board the mythical Artouste Train. At a peaceful pace along the mountainside, the 50-minute ride offers a splendid view of the Soussouéou Valley and Lake Artouste.

d3923

LARUNS AND CYCLING

Close to the Spanish border, Laruns was in 1985 the start of half-stage on a great day for team La Redoute. Their leader Stpehen Roche won at Col d’Aubisque in the morning, challenging La Vie Claire joint leaders Bernard Hinault and Greg Le Mond. In the afternoon, Roche’s teammate Regis Simon, beat breakaway companion Alvaro Pino on the road to Pau.
The ancient history of the Tour retains the memory of a Laruns-born rider, Jean-Baptiste Camdessoucens, who took part in the 1910 edition. The son of a customs officer, he was thrilled to ride in front of friends and relatives in the long 326-km stage between Luchon and Bayonne. But his fans, who only received the press days after the publication date, waited for him in vain. Involved in a crash in the previous stage from Perpignan to Luchon, he injured his hand and was forced out of the Tour two days before the stage he had been dreaming of.

Specialities: lamb, garbure (soup), Ossau cheese.

OssauIraty2.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Col-dAubisque_05.jpg
    I was on the Aubisque in 2011, the year Hushovd made his crazy descent to pip Roy. I was absolutely bricking it going down that. That picture neatly explains why.

Was it that day or the previous when Geraint was off the front on his own? Time plays tricks but I have a vivid memory of one of the guys we'd gone with, in full on nutter fan mode, screaming encouragement while sprinting alongside a very tired looking Geraint, who didn't appear to have been encouraged in the slightest.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    ...just...don't fall off Gee. Please...just...not that
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    It should be straight forward.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Col-dAubisque_05.jpg
    I was on the Aubisque in 2011, the year Hushovd made his crazy descent to pip Roy. I was absolutely bricking it going down that. That picture neatly explains why.

It's funny because I'd happily ride (not race) a bike down that but in a car it would terrify me.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Has everyone completely written off Froome doing a Giro stage 19?
  • DeadCalm
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Yes.

Except for Brailsford apparently.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    I did the Solour and Tourmalet on the 2010 Etape.

It was horrible.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Mad_Malx wrote:

As someone mentioned on an earlier thread, Froome looked just like this at the Giro. I think the Thomas in yellow thing has just been a red herring because Sky knew Froome still hadn't fully recovered from the Giro but would come good in the third week. It's been designed to deflect attention from Froome and stop people attacking him earlier and taking too much time out of him.

He's going to attack on the Tourmalet I tell you!! :shock:
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I don’t see Froome taking 2 mins out of G tomorrow. That would be a massive undertaking.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    The one advantage of the Tourmalet is it makes all other climbs in the region feel small and doable.

Alas I did it after the Aubisque so that also almost killed me.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Slightly OT but is that podium girl Alizee Vannier

36159726_423842468093959_7120398728376090624_n.jpg?se=7&ig_cache_key=MTgxODI2ODQxNTc3NDA4MzkzOA%3D%3D.2

doing a bit of overtime with Lilian Calmejane

Dccn54VXcAA6U70.jpg

not sure gas and electricity are a good mix.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Can't see this being anything other than a Sky procession to the finish, but it would be nice to see Froome go crazy on the Tourmalet.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Froome doing a Giro would be a PR disaster for the team and the rider. They know this.

Today will be a day of dominating Sky power trains, with sporadic attempts from Roglic and Handsome Tom, tracked down by the team.

It’s all about tomorrow.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Froome doing a Giro would be a PR disaster for the team and the rider. They know this.

Today will be a day of dominating Sky power trains, with sporadic attempts from Roglic and Handsome Tom, tracked down by the team.

It’s all about tomorrow.
    Agreed. Tom & Chris have to go full gas to beat each other in the TT.
    Geraint has to have the legs to defend his lead. Could be stalemate, could be losses.
    Upside for Chris is defending his position can’t be seen as an attack on yellow. Even if it is.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeadCalm
    After stage 19 of the Giro, you can't rule anything out with Froome but, if he did attack, and that ended up costing Geraint the Tour, what would the reaction be like?
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm
    A scenario:

Roglic attacks half way up the Tourmalet and is marked by Froome who is feeling super strong. They've got 30 metres on Dumoulin and Geraint who are just starting to close the gap. Bernal has been dropped and we don't know how far down the road he is. Over the radio, Froome hears Geraint's voice. "I've punctured. I need a wheel. Wait for me."

What does Froome do? What should Froome do?
    Team My Man 2022:

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Push Roglic off suggesting he thought he was an amateur.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • pblakeney
    Tell GT to use the neutral service. It’s what they’re there for.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Random thought for the day.
    Quintana goes for the stage.
    Sky let him have it at 1-2 minutes as he is no podium threat at that.
    Quintana keeps his position as Moviestar leader.
    Sky know they can beat Moviestar in future GTs.
    Win, win for Quintana and Sky. Not so much for others.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    DeadCalm wrote:
    A scenario:

Roglic attacks half way up the Tourmalet and is marked by Froome who is feeling super strong. They've got 30 metres on Dumoulin and Geraint who are just starting to close the gap. Bernal has been dropped and we don't know how far down the road he is. Over the radio, Froome hears Geraint's voice. "I've punctured. I need a wheel. Wait for me."

Half way up the Tourmalet with the whole team out the back and Froome off the front?
    What does GT do?

Wake up. It must be time for his breakfast.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited July 2018
    The bookies chainrings rating:

threerings.jpg
    tworings.jpg Dan Martin*, Majka, Alaphilippe,
    onering.jpg Froome, Yates, Nieve, Roglic, Thomas, Quintana, Bardet, Fuglsang, Barguil

This compares to the Inrng ratings:

threerings.jpg
    tworings.jpg Alaphilippe, Nieve, Majka, Yates, Dan Martin
    onering.jpg Barguil, Quintana, Thomas, Valverde, Bardet

Dan Martin has noticeably shorter odds, but still only 7/1, so I gave him a special star :lol:. Majka and Alaphilippe are less than 10/1 at a couple of outlets but generally in the 10-14 range. Yates and Nieve at 12-14/1.

Froome's odds are interesting as he is mostly in a pretty narrow range, 12 to 15/1, but a couple of places have him at 25/1 (in fact that's the only reason he's not a 2-ring favourite because it pulls his average down).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    PBlakeney wrote:

I'm sure they would let Quintana have a couple of minutes just because of his position on GC
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:
    A scenario:

Half way up the Tourmalet with the whole team out the back and Froome off the front?
    What does GT do?

Wake up. It must be time for his breakfast.
    Doh! I meant the Aubisque. :oops:

For what it is worth, I think Froome would play the good teammate.
    Team My Man 2022:

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    The sports guy on BBC breakfast has told us all that G just has to get through today cos tomorrow is just a time trial.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2018
    If you're Dumolin your best best, if you want to risk it (and that is quite a big if), is put Thomas under pressure on the Aubisque descent.

Thomas has lost more than he should have in unlucky crashes...
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    BM5 wrote:
    The sports guy on BBC breakfast has told us all that G just has to get through today cos tomorrow is just a time trial.

The female host was in stitches because she started talking about cyclists 'bonking' without thinking about the innuendo...
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    To be fair, Thomas is going to lose time to Dumoulin in the TT but he's not going to lose his current lead.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Shame for the race that Porte and Nibali went home...
    Froome and Dumoulin are hanging
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    edited July 2018
    PBlakeney wrote:

I'm sure they would let Quintana have a couple of minutes just because of his position on GC
    Okay, I think if Quintana retrieves 1 minute with a time trial to come that is fairly safe.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Shame for the race that Porte and Nibali went home...
    Froome and Dumoulin are hanging

Wouldn’t say Dumolin is hanging.

Pretty much no GC rider has the speed Thomas has in the final 200m.