TDF 2018, Stage 10: Annecy > Le Grand-Bornand 17/07/2018 - 158,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pross wrote:
    Does no one else find the Col de Bluffy a hilarious name? Who is going to bluff on the Col de Bluffy?

You know who's going to drop that into commentary tomorrow now don't you?

No Carlton I don't, anwyays who is dat there hanging off the back of the peloton?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,344
    Sorry all I just heard I've won a €3 million grant from the EU so I'm off to get trollied.

Horses can hold.
    Congrats! With that kind of cash you could even afford the good stuff from Lidl while you rest your head on a linoleum floor from Quickstep. Ah the high life!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    knedlicky wrote:
    Favourites 10th stage 2018 Tour de France

*** Vincenzo Nibali, Alejandro Valverde, Chris Froome, Rigoberto Uran
    ** Thomas De Gendt, Dan Martin, Primoz Roglic, Romain Bardet, Nairo Quintana, Mikel Landa
    * Lilian Calmejane, Warr2en Barguil, Serge Pauwels, Pierre Latour, Jakob Fuglsang, Geraint Thomas
    I think the stage very hard to predict (esp if Movistar play tactics).
    With two MTFs to follow, some GC contenders may be prepared to allow a break succeed (presumably, as well as being possibly polka-dot claimants, why De Gendt and Calmejane are among the favs - to which maybe add often-breakaway-ers Alaphilippe and the stage's birthday-boy Fraile?)

But I'd like to see those GC-contenders who can descend well, not postpone things till the MTFs, but take take a chance to get a head's start before the MTFs (esp if they are outsider-GC-ers, like Roglic).

... Subscribers to my 'Not the stage 10 spoiler' thread get an on-the-spot guaranteed stage winner prediction!
    Half man, Half bike
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    Flat for 9 days, a lot of cobbles and a rest day and then straight into the alps.

Expect some weird performances.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,657
    Lots of them were talking about "forgetting how to ride climbs"
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Flat for 9 days, a lot of cobbles and a rest day and then straight into the alps.

Expect some weird performances.

I listened to the Bespoke Podcast last night and this is pretty much what Rob Hayles said.
  • rick_chasey
    Christ there are a lot of podcasts out there aren't there?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    With rain forecast for the final descent, wonder if we might see any correlation between success and failure for disc-braked riders?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • rick_chasey
    larkim wrote:
    With rain forecast for the final descent, wonder if we might see any correlation between success and failure for disc-braked riders?

Pain in the arse if you get a puncture though.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    larkim wrote:

It's not that technical as I recall, long sweeping bends with a couple of hairpins as I recall. It's long time since I've ridden down it though :?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,101
    Presumably Sky will try to control the race as if they were in yellow, given that they effectively are as far as GC is concerned.

Do we think some of the teams will try and get second string riders (Rolland, Nieve, Pozzovivo for example) into the break to provide support for an attack or will they wait for later in the race?

Nibali is sounding confident and saying he thinks the next three days will be very selective.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • larkim
    larkim wrote:

Pain in the ars* if you get a puncture though.

If you're after a Mavic service you mean? Suppose so. But enough of the peloton have been using them for the race so far, just wondering if any teams were switching to them for the mountains?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Ridgerider wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

... Subscribers to my 'Not the stage 10 spoiler' thread get an on-the-spot guaranteed stage winner prediction!
    In your thread, Ridgerider, seems your tip is Katusha-Alpecin, but in PTP you've Majka. :shock:

Katusha-Alpecin part-matches what I heard on a German podcast last night. It tipped Zakarin (Dan Martin and Bardet too) possibly taking off when they reached the Romme (which I remember as hard because of its sudden steepness after flat approach roads).

Also had a look this morning at French and Swiss cycling forums with PTP-type competitions to see what their tips for today are. The French one (21 tips) had only 7 different riders named as 'winner', the Swiss one (73 tips) 14 different riders.
    French forum, most tips in order: Valverde, Nibali, Froome, Bardet, Barguil; most interesting solitary tip: Caruso
    Swiss forum, most tips in order:: Valverde, Alaphilippe, Nibali, Yates, Martin; most interesting solitary tip: Latour
  • rick_chasey
    larkim wrote:
    larkim wrote:

Pain in the ars* if you get a puncture though.

If you're after a Mavic service you mean? Suppose so. But enough of the peloton have been using them for the race so far, just wondering if any teams were switching to them for the mountains?

Hincape feels it’s a much slower wheel change with discs.

Plus too heavy for mountains.
  • 36449915_2084510155203067_3806917513476833280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=13e22210936256cb48db9572f9ca03f3&oe=5BE572ED
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Rollout now, neutralised zone for quite a long time - 10K or so. Actual racing to start around 12.45 UK time.
  • above_the_cows
    The peloton looks really little from those heli shots.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,861
    Landa down in the neutral zone.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    Landa crashes in the neutral zone.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Landa down having drifted sideways into some bollards. Valverde somewhere up the road, trying very hard to look innocent...
  • above_the_cows
    Landa down having drifted sideways into some bollards. Valverde somewhere up the road, trying very hard to look innocent...

hqdefault.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,725
    knedlicky wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

In your thread, Ridgerider, seems your tip is Katusha-Alpecin, but in PTP you've Majka. :shock:

Katusha-Alpecin part-matches what I heard on a German podcast last night. It tipped Zakarin (Dan Martin and Bardet too) possibly taking off when they reached the Romme (which I remember as hard because of its sudden steepness after flat approach roads).

Also had a look this morning at French and Swiss cycling forums with PTP-type competitions to see what their tips for today are. The French one (21 tips) had only 7 different riders named as 'winner', the Swiss one (73 tips) 14 different riders.
    French forum, most tips in order: Valverde, Nibali, Froome, Bardet, Barguil; most interesting solitary tip: Caruso
    Swiss forum, most tips in order:: Valverde, Alaphilippe, Nibali, Yates, Martin; most interesting solitary tip: Latour

Odd tip, doesn't Zakarin usually wheel suck until the final km or two? Also, I thought he was a poor descender.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,861
    We are off, but I doubt that the break will get sorted before the Croix Fry.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Seeing the rims brakes enforce today.
  • rick_chasey
    FocusZing wrote:
    Seeing the rims brakes enforce today.

?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,684
    "[out] in force" I would imagine.
  • larkim
    So some teams shifting from discs back to rims for climbing? If there really is a weight penalty to discs (I thought the bikes struggled to get up to the minimum weight) is there an issue with the location of the weight? Lower centre of mass etc?

I suppose they are more interested in how to go fast than how to slow down, so perhaps the consideration of discs *perhaps* being a better option in the wet for stopping purposes is low down the radar for the pro teams.
  • above_the_cows
    Gosh Sagan is an absolute unit relative to the others up front with him.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,725
    larkim wrote:
    So some teams shifting from discs back to rims for climbing? If there really is a weight penalty to discs (I thought the bikes struggled to get up to the minimum weight) is there an issue with the location of the weight? Lower centre of mass etc?

I suppose they are more interested in how to go fast than how to slow down, so perhaps the consideration of discs *perhaps* being a better option in the wet for stopping purposes is low down the radar for the pro teams.

It seems odd when one of the main arguments for disc brakes on road bikes is their performance on this sort of terrain.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,340
    Sagan takes the sprint points, I guess that's him done for the day. Nice couple of minutes on the peloton, take it easy, get caught, roll in with the autobus.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format