Are freehubs supposed to be a total pita to get off??

Comments

• bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    keef66 wrote:
    If you can't hold the axle still and you're not sure which way the locknut loosens, no amount of freezing and penetrating spray is going to change that. You're now in danger of spending more on tools and magic sprays than a bike shop would charge you to fix it, and you'll probably wash all the grease out of the bearings.

I would admit defeat, spend your time / energy finding a LBS that sounds like they know about these hubs, then let them fix or condemn it.

I cannot recommend Shimano wheels highly enough for their simple, user accessible hubs...
    FSA told me categorically that it undoes anticlockwise. Are you saying that they are wrong?

If I take it to the bike shop that only solves the problem once. If I do it myself I'll be able to do it again should the need arise. Halford's labour charge would have been £18, and I've only spent about £8 on the mole grips so far.

And I'm not talking about spraying it about willy nily, just on the bolt.

I don't really have the money to lay out on a pair of new wheels. I've got two holidays coming up that need to be paid for.
  • bungle73
    Go to your local bike shop like keef says. Cant think why you havent already

Er I have been. I went to Halfords............
  • bungle73
    And I've also been in contact with two other places who were no help whatsoever.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Bungle73 wrote:
    FSA told me categorically that it undoes anticlockwise. Are you saying that they are wrong?

I'm saying that's not what happens in the Vision Youtube vid where a Vision Technician is dismantling a Vision hub, so yes, I think the FSA advice could be suspect.

I can't imagine that they'd produce two visually identical hubs but have one locknut undo clockwise and the other anticlockwise without any indication on the hub or nut.

Good luck, but I'm out.
  • bungle73
    keef66 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

I'm saying that's not what happens in the Vision Youtube vid where a Vision Technician is dismantling a Vision hub, so yes, I think the FSA advice could be suspect.

I can't imagine that they'd produce two visually identical hubs but have one locknut undo clockwise and the other anticlockwise without any indication on the hub or nut.

Good luck, but I'm out.

So why would they tell me to do it anticlockwise then? You're saying they don't know their own wheels??
  • If you have a nut and bolt with the bolt head facing you, rotating the bolt anti clockwise undoes it. Rotating the nut clockwise, while bolt head is still facing you, also undoes it. If you turn the nut and bolt assembly around so the nut faces you, anti clockwise rotation of the nut undoes it. Remarkably it's the same nut! in one ordination it undoes clockwise, in the other it's anticlockwise. Chuck them in the bin and buy some rs11 wheels or take up crochet.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Please just take up crochet
  • bungle73
    TBH if I was going to spend money on new wheels I'd probably want to get some that were some kind of upgrade to make it worth it, rather than just another bargain basement pair.
  • You're right. A pair working wheels is no upgrade on a pair you have now mashed. Buy a new hub and re lace the wheel.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Bungle73 wrote:
    TBH if I was going to spend money on new wheels I'd probably want to get some that were some kind of upgrade to make it worth it, rather than just another bargain basement pair.
    That’s a good idea.

You could get some enve wheels and specify dt Swiss hubs.

Don’t let Halfords near them.

Let us know how you get on next time your visiting planet earth
  • Let's be honest. The wheels you have are now broken. You either need a new hub or new wheels. Cut your losses and get some new wheels, either cheap wheels or some magic "upgrade" wheels that you will then destroy trying to service with a Birmingham screwdriver.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Let's be honest. The wheels you have are now broken. You either need a new hub or new wheels. Cut your losses and get some new wheels, either cheap wheels or some magic "upgrade" wheels that you will then destroy trying to service with a Birmingham screwdriver.
    LOLOLOL

I want to see a video of him servicing them
  • bungle73
    It's an absolute joke that you're all acting so superior when the truth is that you wouldn't have done any better at it than I have. Yet you see fit to pass judgement when you know naff all about it and aren't the ones having to deal with it. People on this forum aren't happy unless they are a) being condescending as much as possible, b) telling people what to do, c) being abusive, or d) being general trolls. You're a disgrace.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You can get a Shimano 105 Mach rear wheel for £53.95 from Merlin of all places. Sounds like the way forward to me.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    You're a disgrace to home mechanics.
  • bungle73

If you're so bloody clever tell me now exactly how you would gone about it. You don't have a clue do you.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Bungle73 wrote:

If you're so bloody clever tell me now exactly how you would gone about it. You don't have a clue do you.

Neither do you. Just buy a new wheel. If you need help to fit it please post
  • Well I`m an ace mechanic, a total fix it myself type, but these hubs were appalling.
    The drive side bearing is held in by a 21mm locknut which is flanged and screws onto the axle.
    The other end has a cap on it which comes off . Problem is the axle comes of towards the non drive end, so the locknut has to come off.
    It`s made of tinfoil, but is just strong enough to ensure that whatever you use to try and turn it, will crack the freehub body, which is also tinfoil.
    One you manage to get the axle out, the drive end bearing still won`t drive out as the internal sleeve thingy stops you getting a drift onto the back of the bearing.

Total crap and in the bin.
    Fulcrum Racing sports from chain reaction for 89.99 the pair. No brainer.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    It's an absolute joke that you're all acting so superior when the truth is that you wouldn't have done any better at it than I have. Yet you see fit to pass judgement when you know naff all about it and aren't the ones having to deal with it. People on this forum aren't happy unless they are a) being condescending as much as possible, b) telling people what to do, c) being abusive, or d) being general trolls. You're a disgrace.
    You've had plenty of advice but you have already stated you have rounded, gnarled, over tightened, broken the wheels. You've then gotten angry with anyone that questions your skills at servicing the wheels or ignored any sensible advise. Further, when suggested that you cut your losses and buy some sensible wheels you become abusive or ignore the advice. Just take up crochet.
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:
    You've had plenty of advice but you have already stated you have rounded, gnarled, over tightened, broken the wheels. You've then gotten angry with anyone that questions your skills at servicing the wheels or ignored any sensible advise. Further, when suggested that you cut your losses and buy some sensible wheels you become abusive or ignore the advice. Just take up crochet.

↑ Pack of lies.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Has Bungle just turned into Donald Trump? Must say Bungle doesn’t fill me with confidence about his spannering skills. BnG sounds more competent. I think the solution has been mentioned a few times now. New wheels.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Yeah, new wheels. And order them from Merlin.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Yes order three sets from merlin, let us know if they steal your money again
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    if the OP has not already go to a bike shop that has a windwave account and let them do it. I have tried reading the thread and to be honest i am lost.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    If you're so bloody clever tell me now exactly how you would gone about it.
    How I would have done it:

1 - Taken it to a decent, local bike shop.
    2 - Given them some money
    3 - Put it back on my bike

Bless you Bungle, Urban just isn’t the same without your sagas :mrgreen:
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:

1 - Taken it somewhere that doesn't exist.

2 - ?????
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

2 - ?????
    Yep. This country has no decent bike shops anywhere. Not one.
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

2 - ?????
    Yep. This country has no decent bike shops anywhere. Not one.

So I'm supposed to roam the whole country am I?
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    So I'm supposed to roam the whole country am I?
    I’ve been led to believe there’s some sort of service available, where again in exchange for money, people will transport goods to a destination of your choice, and then for a little more money bring them back to you.

Sounds like witchcraft to me though. You’re clearly better off by destroying the wheel yourself 8)