Are freehubs supposed to be a total pita to get off??

Comments

• big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Bungle73 wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    No. You cocked up. Just like you did with the mudguards ,(how many sets?) And now this. Then you went off on one.

Er no I bloody didn't. I consolidated several orders into one because I thought it made more sense. The trouble with people here is that they are always looking to pick holes on people.

As for the mudguards I was going by the information provided by the bike manufacturer. I already said at the time that I had only ever bought a pair a long time ago, and that at the time all I needed to check was the wheel size. But apparently people here think everyone should be an expert on everything, even when they have little experience of it.

Isn't that the thread where I got talked down to like I was a piece of sh*t? I'm not sure what kinds of people you are used to dealing with, but I won't be talked to like that.

Dude, what was the actual final outcome of your dealings with Merlin. Tell now.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Firstly to try and help with the original problem, why do you think it’s the freehub? Does it only make the noise when freewheeling? What sort of noise is it? Be sure it’s the freehub before going any further.
    With respect to the Merlin thread, you were far from blameless and then you got stroppy so unsurprisingly we wound you up a bit.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Bungle73 wrote:
    But apparently people here think everyone should be an expert on everything, even when they have little experience of it.

If you were patient, calm (and honest), you would get all the help you need and there are people trying to help you nonetheless.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Firstly to try and help with the original problem, why do you think it’s the freehub? Does it only make the noise when freewheeling? What sort of noise is it? Be sure it’s the freehub before going any further.

Yes, it happens when I freewheel. It hasn't happened before. I took the bike out today, and as I was nearing home I started noticing this noise when I stopped peddling. Not all the time though, just some of the time. When I had the cassette off I span the wheel while keeping the freehub still and after a while it made the same noise. I put it back on the bike and put the bike in a stand and when I got the back wheel to freewheel eventually it made this loud noise. I tried back peddling and I can hear something isn't right. The only way I can describe it as a kind of grinding. That's what I did a search for on Google, which told me I probably needed to get it open. But, as I said right at the beginning of this thread, I can't get it off. Seems like I'm going to have to wait until I am back from holiday at the end of next week, and take it somewhere for them to fix it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Ok, does sound like it’s freehub related. If having watched the video you can’t get it off best to get someone else to do it rather than forcing it and breaking something. Sorry but that’s the best advice I can give.
    Enjoy the holiday.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    If you’ve rounded the Allen key hole out, try using an imperial key very slightly bigger or a torx key. They should work.

Plus you’re a human stop acting like a gorilla
  • bungle73
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ok, does sound like it’s freehub related. If having watched the video you can’t get it off best to get someone else to do it rather than forcing it and breaking something.

Too late, I already broke it. :(
    Sorry but that’s the best advice I can give.

Thanks anyway
    Enjoy the holiday.
    Thanks.
  • bungle73
    If you’ve rounded the Allen key hole out, try using an imperial key very slightly bigger or a torx key. They should work.

I haven't got either. The only torx keys I have are the two on my multitool (I don't need them for my bike), and I've only got the one set of (proper) allen keys.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Did someone mention a highly reputable online bike shop?

Or a local bike shop with a mechanic?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Bungle73 wrote:

I haven't got either. The only torx keys I have are the two on my multitool (I don't need them for my bike), and I've only got the one set of (proper) allen keys.

I see, You can pick a basic set up of both for a few pounds from Halfords or similar. The imperial set dont have much likely future use but more and more kit is coming out with Torx fastners so you could just get those for the fraction of the cost of a trip to a LBS.
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:

I see, You can pick a basic set up of both for a few pounds from Halfords or similar. The imperial set dont have much likely future use but more and more kit is coming out with Torx fastners so you could just get those for the fraction of the cost of a trip to a LBS.

Thanks, but it looks like I'm going to have no choice but to get a professional to do it. I've been Googling removing the freehub from the wheels I have and it looks to be a total pita and 100x more complicated than the other freehub removals that I've seen online. And even if I do get it off, it seems it could be a sealed unit that can't be serviced anyway. Although that last bit I'm not sure about.

Now I've got to ride the bike in its currant condition to the nearest bike shop, which is two miles away, as I have no other way of getting it there. Apparently they do do pickups, but no doubt it costs.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Now I've got to ride the bike in its currant condition to the nearest bike shop, which is two miles away, as I have no other way of getting it there. Apparently they do do pickups, but no doubt it costs.

Two miles is nothing. You could walk it.
  • bungle73
    Imposter wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

Two miles is nothing. You could walk it.

I could do I suppose. I'd rather ride though. I did ride it home yesterday at the end of my ride, after is started making noises.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    2 miles 40 minutes walking tops if you dawdle.
    However the way you winge you sound like a right smacked ar*e. Get a grip for fuc*k sake.
  • fixerupper
    fixerupper Posts: 32
    Yeah drop the wheel out ,and take it to your local bike shop .all the tools ,spare parts and a bike mechanic in the same place...result ..good luck with it ....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bungle73 wrote:

There you raisin' a ruckus again. Do you expect the shop to collect for free ? Is it their fault you've knackered it ?
  • bungle73
    cougie wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

There you raisin' a ruckus again. Do you expect the shop to collect for free ? Is it their fault you've knackered it ?

Go away.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Bungle sounds a bit of a twat sometimes but that doesnt mean he should be bullied. Block him if he's too irritating but dont use his rants as fodder for a group toss off.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    which vision wheelset is it? There are quite a few variations of hub on their wheels.
  • bungle73
    which vision wheelset is it? There are quite a few variations of hub on their wheels.
    That’s what I had been finding out. Not only are there a million and one different variations based on on manufacturer, but there are also a million and one within a single manufacturer! FFS. Why couldn’t they stick to one standard??

They are Team 30 wheels.
  • darkhairedlord
    I had some of these but sent them straight back as the hubs were so poorly put together. The bearings had been over tightened, damaging the races. There is a reason these wheels are so cheap!
  • bungle73
    I had some of these but sent them straight back as the hubs were so poorly put together. The bearings had been over tightened, damaging the races. There is a reason these wheels are so cheap!
    They’ve been fine up until now. I’ve been very happy with them (apart from the tyre fitting problem). They were actually an upgrade option from the stock wheels when I bought the bike.
  • darkhairedlord
    Have you phoned vision or the retailer?
  • bungle73
    Have you phoned vision or the retailer?

Do Vision even have a UK operation with a UK number? I didn't buy it from a retailer, I bought it direct from the bike company, who subsequently went bust, and then got bought by someone else, who moved the whole operation from England to Northern Ireland.

In any case it would mean having to pack it up (god knows how), sending it off and then probably waiting weeks. Where as if I take it somewhere to be fixed, hopefully I can have the bike back and riddable in few days.
  • bungle73
    They'd probably put it down to wear and tear anyway, since the bike is a couple of years old.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Comedy Gold.
  • darkhairedlord
    I didn't say post them back did I?
    Contact them to ask how the freehub comes off. Most are secured with hollow Allen bolt, 11mm, but some are left handed, others right handed. At the end of the day it's a cheap badly made hub.
  • bungle73
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Comedy Gold.
    “Comedy gold” is it? Well how is this for comedy gold? FUCK OFF!

I think I’m done with this forum. I thought it would be a good place to talk about bikes and discuss problems, but it’s full of fucking trolls who apparently have nothing better to do than get their kicks by finding amusement from other people’s problems.

Well done, you just lost a member, and I shall tell everyone who’ll listen exactly what goes on here.
  • darkhairedlord
    Can you not just flush out the freehub and re-lube without taking it off? That's what I would do.
  • darkhairedlord
    Did you take it to the LBS?