World Cup 2018

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Brazil in "looking quite ordinary" shock!

Reinforcing my prediction above .......
    Want to bet on your prediction MF?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Mexico proves that fairy tales can happen

And will inspire England this evening 8) .
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Booked a table at our local Italian for tonight. A he doesn't have a TV and B it will be super quiet cos all the English will be glued to their TVs.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Booked a table at our local Italian for tonight. A he doesn't have a TV and B it will be super quiet cos all the English will be glued to their TVs.

Why does Luigi's from League of Gentlemen come to mind?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    edited June 2018
    I'm a bit surprised at some of the write-ups regarding Mexico's result, some of the headlines make out like they are absolute footballing minnows. From what I remember they've always had a few players who can look after the ball and could play the game. I only saw the first half really and what struck me was how you could clearly see the Mexicans had a gameplan that was being effective and yet the Germans didn't adapt in order to do anything about it.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Germany looked like England in 2010. Mexico could and should have had 3 in the first 20 mins.
  • Frank Wilson
    Ben6899 wrote:

Why does Luigi's from League of Gentlemen come to mind?

Never seen the programme Ben so can't comment.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Brazil in "looking quite ordinary" shock!

Reinforcing my prediction above .......
    Want to bet on your prediction MF?

Nah - smugness is worth more than all the money in the world.

But thank you, anyway.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • robert88
    World Cup 2018: Flies plague England's build-up in Volgograd

Danny Armstrong: Currently being munched to death by midges in Volgograd. If England play with as much bite, they may be in with a chance tonight. An absolute angel of a waitress in the cafe where I am sat has just sprayed me with anti-midgie spray and I almost asked for her hand in marriage.

Entomologist professor Adam Hart from the University of Gloucestershire believes they are non-biting midges, known as chironomidae, though he thinks there could be some mosquitoes thrown into the mix as well.

"It's a regular occurrence and just bad timing with a World Cup on", said the insect expert Hart. "The good news is they don't last long.

"It is a hassle rather than a big problem."

Nevertheless he's probably glad he's in Gloucestershire.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    England win their first match 2-1 against Tunisia

It wasn’t the most enthralling match but I think England showed enough to think they can do quite well.
  • Stevo_666
    England in last minute winning goal shocker...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    England in... winning... shocker...
    FTFY
  • verylonglegs
    Definitely a case of take the 3 points, forget the game (especially the second half) and move on to the next one.

I feel somewhat vindicated by my criticism of Rooney a few pages ago, Harry Kane has scored twice as many world cup goals in a single game as Wayne managed all his career.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Pleased they didn’t do the usual panic at 75 minutes and lose all discipline.

From my short man’s perspective in the pub the penalty was a joke too.
  • Stevo_666
    Definitely a case of take the 3 points, forget the game (especially the second half) and move on to the next one.

I feel somewhat vindicated by my criticism of Rooney a few pages ago, Harry Kane has scored twice as many world cup goals in a single game as Wayne managed all his career.
    I'll be on holiday for the next one so we will be able to park ourselves in a bar and dull the feelings of tension with a few drinks.
  • verylonglegs
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I'll be on holiday for the next one so we will be able to park ourselves in a bar and dull the feelings of tension with a few drinks.

I didn't see the game this afternoon but apparently Panama racked up 5 yellows by not being afraid to put a tackle in, so could be a test of England's discipline and composure. Can't hurt to look up at the upsides, the likes of Germany, Spain, Argentina have not started with a win and we could be virtually through come Sunday evening with the right result.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I didn't see the game this afternoon but apparently Panama racked up 5 yellows by not being afraid to put a tackle in, so could be a test of England's discipline and composure. Can't hurt to look up at the upsides, the likes of Germany, Spain, Argentina have not started with a win and we could be virtually through come Sunday evening with the right result.
    Very true. That would be a bit of a first if we qualify after 2 games.
  • Frank Wilson
    EBC will be staining themselves on breakfast tomorrow..
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Didn't see the game, but the stats look promising. How did England look when they were in possession of the ball?
  • robert88
    How did England look when they were in possession of the ball?

Uncertain, crucially, in front of the Tunisian goal mouth.

Saturday, Belgium play Tunisia, Sunday, England vs Panama.
  • Matthewfalle
    Still haven't seen anything to make my prediction change.

England were England - good at times but no real wow factor of quality.

They'll get out of their group no dramas but after that ... hmmmmmmmmm <sagely rubs chins while slurping coffee out of his tin mug>

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,385
    Thought England played pretty wel for the first 30 minutes or so but squandered too many chances in front of goal . . . although encouraged to see the chances made. They should have been out of sight by half time.

I'm struggling to understand how VAR is being used. Amongst other things, surely it was introduced to avoid the situation(s) whereby "rugby tackles" in the penalty area on Harry Kane went unpunished (the second of which around the neck would have been a penalty in Rugby Union too!) It makes no sense for the innocuous and (to my mind) unintenional contact from Kyle Walker merited a penalty after looking at VAR and the two Kane incidents did not.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Excellent first 20 mins, then reverted to type.

Maguire and Stones scare the living sh*t out of me on the ball, we're still miles behind other nations (and Tunisia at times) in technical ability. Quite often second touch is a tackle.

Still, can't remember a better 20 mins from an England team.
  • Matthewfalle
    Post Japan game still looks like Russia to win .....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    2 - 0

GET IN!!!!!!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    3 - 0

GET IN !!!!!!!!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    1/4 finals and ridiculously beautiful women.

get in there my son.

russia are going to win it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    1/4 finals and ridiculously beautiful women.

get in there my son.

russia are going to win it.
    put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is-1.jpg

Go on go on go on...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Thought England looked pretty good, I had fairly low expectations but that performance exceeded them by some distance.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    well as the broadcasters are using women as pundits this tournament 8) I thought England played well first half, should have scored more goals, I even felt a bit of Euro 96 style optimism nostalgia creeping in for a bit. But 2nd half tired quickly I think and ran out of ideas after they got caught with the Tunisia penalty, I think those are always given if the ref spots them at international level, its only English league refs who let stuff like that go, but have no idea how they missed the wrestling match with Kane for most of the time he ever went in the penalty box after that, till they left him unmarked and he scored, had the guy who was marking him been substituted to waste time or something, that was annoying all the time wasting especially that guy who went down for a few minutes after being gently hit by the ball in his ribs, try breaking your pelvis and then riding a bike to complete a stage to feel pain. but yeah if you going to win it, win it last minute but there wasn't a lot happening either from the bench to change things or on the pitch which is a worry if theres only plan A.

but surprising to hear all the stats afterwards about how few 1st match games England have won at tournaments, so maybe this will be different, though I do suspect they'll let quite a few goals in when they meet a team who actually try to shoot at goal, and I suspect Panama might prove challenging to beat, and Id leave Sterling on the bench and play Rashford instead.