World Cup 2018

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535
    Dinyull wrote:
    laurentian wrote:
    I'm not expecting England to win the thing (although I make no apologies for hoping they do) and would suggest that their record since the Iceland defeat are probably as good as any other international team.

Replace Iceland and that snippet could have come before the previous 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 tournaments.

England have won 6 knockout games in major tournaments since 1966. Only 3 of them in 90 mins.

Oh I realise that! I really, really realise that!

I still believe it's correct though and simply hope they can improve on that this time around. I don't think that hope is deserving of derision but I make no apologies for it.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    "The bloke with the gun down his leg who needed counselling after people told him he was a twonk for having a gun tattooed down his leg". His name is Sterling, the gun is a Sterling. It's kind of a tattoo pun.

1200px-Leader_t2_rifle.JPG
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    laurentian wrote:
    laurentian wrote:
    laurentian wrote:
    I guess I should invite you to read the post again which is anything but hyperbole but I won't bother.

I'm not expecting England to win the thing (although I make no apologies for hoping they do) and would suggest that their record since the Iceland defeat are probably as good as any other international team.

Germany (rightly many people's favourites) have lost their last two matches (Brazil and Austria) although, to be fair, their recent and upcoming opposition is far superior to that of England as they did stuff the footballing leviathan of Azerbaijan 5-1 before the losses to Austria and Brazil and have a tricky home fixture against Saudi Arabia tonight.

Any team can only play what's in front of them and all, including the giants of the game, by necessity in the qualifiers play "lesser" footballing nations. The pre - tournament friendlies are, again by necessity, played against teams that didn't qualify. I know you'd like to see it as England football supporters getting ahead of themselves as it fits a tedious stereotype but, as mentioned up thread, I simply want them to play as well as they can and see how far it takes them. That's not hyperbole, that's support.

Yawn ............................

Yep, you'll be yawning on the sofa watching Coronation Street and I'll be supporting England in the World Cup a week on Monday.

Have a good kip.

why would i be watching coronation street? i'm not northern or poor. neither am i or mf.

happy delusions.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Oh, and DegmJK7XcAApKbf.jpg:large

That's great. It doesn't change the fact that he is shît for England though.

I think you have established (or he has) that he's well meaning for an idiot primadonna.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,045
    Even if they're rubbish, they feel a lot more likeable than the lot a few years ago.

They're younger with less club baggage to make you think they ought to be done better.

Err - not really.

They've gone from a bunch of spoilt primadonnas to a bunch of spoilt primadonnas.

Not much change there.

At least Frank Lampard was occasionally quite funny and Beckham's squeaky voice provided amusement. What have they got this time? The bloke with the gun down his leg who needed counselling after people told him he was a twonk for having a gun tattooed down his leg and errrrr, that's about it. Not really a bunch of characters are they.
    You're not bitter at all about Italy failing to qualify, are you :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mfin
    Worse than the footballers being primadonnas are the fans of course, specifically those attending the matches. It seems the bulk of them can't help but chanting like monkeys with a mob mentality, overreacting at the slightest thing, crying like babies if they lose or agressively taunting the opposition fans if they win.

If TV wasn't invented just imagine, the only way to see football would be when surrounded by tw*ts.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    mfin wrote:
    Worse than the footballers being primadonnas are the fans of course, specifically those attending the matches. It seems the bulk of them can't help but chanting like monkeys with a mob mentality, overreacting at the slightest thing, crying like babies if they lose or agressively taunting the opposition fans if they win.

If TV wasn't invented just imagine, the only way to see football would be when surrounded by tw*ts.

But to be fair in cycling we have people running up hills dressed in Speedos and gobbing at cyclists as they go up hills, so they knobs are not confined to football.
  • mfin
    But to be fair in cycling we have people running up hills dressed in Speedos and gobbing at cyclists as they go up hills, so they knobs are not confined to football.

Ah, but to be fair it's a small percentage of cycling fans do that, whereas the vast majority of people at a football match are chanting like thick idiots.

The shame is that the cycling ones affect the watching on TV a fair bit by getting in the way and can affect the riders, whereas when watching football on the TV you just hear the drone of all the peckers in attendance but nothing gets in your line of sight of what you are watching.
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Even if they're rubbish, they feel a lot more likeable than the lot a few years ago.

They're younger with less club baggage to make you think they ought to be done better.

Err - not really.

They've gone from a bunch of spoilt primadonnas to a bunch of spoilt primadonnas.

Not much change there.

At least Frank Lampard was occasionally quite funny and Beckham's squeaky voice provided amusement. What have they got this time? The bloke with the gun down his leg who needed counselling after people told him he was a twonk for having a gun tattooed down his leg and errrrr, that's about it. Not really a bunch of characters are they.
    You're not bitter at all about Italy failing to qualify, are you :wink:

well, when you've won it as many times as we have the novelty wear off..... it'll be nice to have a quiet summer for a change :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    Going into this world cup there is pretty much the same feeling that there has been for at least a couple of decades of world cups.

People always say there is less expectation now (I can't ever remember real expectation, maybe there was in 1970 certainly not at any tournament since) and that the spirit is better than last time and while they don't think we'll win it we could do better than expected.

We have qualified well, again, but we've seen it all before and not really performed at a tournament since the 1990s. My head says we could easily go out in the group stage and if not we'll get done by probably the Colombians (my son tells me this is the likely winner of our opposite group) in the first knock out round.

However around this time despite never really being too concerned about the national side in the qualifying cycle I start to get tournament fever. The disappointments of 50 years come to the surface, the missed penalties, Gazza failing to connect with that ball, Keegan missing that header, Lineker somehow failing to nod in that cross. Involuntarily I feel that this time is our time, I always do, but otherwise what's the point.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    People always say there is less expectation now (I can't ever remember real expectation, maybe there was in 1970 certainly not at any tournament since) and that the spirit is better than last time and while they don't think we'll win it we could do better than expected

Expectation or expectoration?
  • Matthewfalle
    Robert88 wrote:
    "The bloke with the gun down his leg who needed counselling after people told him he was a twonk for having a gun tattooed down his leg". His name is Sterling, the gun is a Sterling. It's kind of a tattoo pun.

1200px-Leader_t2_rifle.JPG

And he still needed counselling after someone called him a twonk for having a gun tattooed down his leg. Counselling.

FFS.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

Err - not really.

Not much change there.

Frank Lampard has been funny? That would probably be news to anyone but his closest family. By the simple fact that the current squad largely keep their heads down and get on with it makes them several more notches likeable than any of the previous bunch. No Cashley Cole (to be fair to him though he never screwed up in an England shirt but still...) Terry the racist clown, Beckham the clothes horse prat and at last thank fark, no Rooney. How good does it feel to finally start a tournament without Rooney. A man bizarrely given the captaincy despite having the brain power of a wasp on cold day, who's only solution to going behind in an international game was to run around after the ball in ever larger circles starting from the centre of the pitch until he barely had the breath to berate the ref, his teammates and anyone else who dared catch his eye. I won't miss his dumb angry red face one bit.

So maybe the current bunch don't speak as well as your cricketers and rugby boys in the post match interviews, they are still a step in the right direction from a decade ago.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Yes thank God the all time record scorer has gone. Ffs I do wonder if some of you have ever watched a game in your life.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    Yes thank God the all time record scorer has gone. Ffs I do wonder if some of you have ever watched a game in your life.

One of the reasons I struggle with the world cup is all the experts that start appearing. That and the mediocre football that is often on display.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

His tournament record, especially the WC, is lamentable. The biggest problem with him was his lack of intelligence on the field and the fact he was also made captain, for what appears to me because he was just the biggest name in the team. He was often lauded in England games at Euros and world cups for chasing back to get the ball around his own penalty area because it seems being a trier is more important than using your brain and doing your role well in this country. I was mostly a centre half when I played and if I'd seen a forward putting in tackles around our own area it would indicate discipline had broken down and I'd have told him to bugger off back toward the half way line. But in Waynes case it was because he cares, great passion, go England! etc. I won't miss seeing that and with his 1 goal in 11 matches at world cups I'm quite confident we won't be any worse off in that respect either.
  • DeVlaeminck

His tournament record, especially the WC, is lamentable. The biggest problem with him was his lack of intelligence on the field and the fact he was also made captain, for what appears to me because he was just the biggest name in the team. He was often lauded in England games at Euros and world cups for chasing back to get the ball around his own penalty area because it seems being a trier is more important than using your brain and doing your role well in this country. I was mostly a centre half when I played and if I'd seen a forward putting in tackles around our own area it would indicate discipline had broken down and I'd have told him to bugger off back toward the half way line. But in Waynes case it was because he cares, great passion, go England! etc. I won't miss seeing that and with his 1 goal in 11 matches at world cups I'm quite confident we won't be any worse off in that respect either.

The fact is yes he underperformed in tournaments relative to his ability but relative to the rest of the team I don't think he was any worse than the typical England player during that era. He contributed a fair bit in qualifying for these tournaments and he was unlucky with injuries and often wasn't fully fit.

Perhaps if we'd made better managerial appointments he'd have performed better but he's clearly got a lot of football intelligence you don't have his career without that. All that said he did have an excellent Euros when he was young.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    On the BBC website today they were asking about your first memory of the World Cup, so I thought I'd ask here

Although I should remember the 1974 tournament nothing stands out, but I remember pretty much everything about the 1978 tournament, the ticker tape, the unbelievable confidence of the Scottish team, the defeat to Peru, but most of all I remember the ball (that fabulous looking Adidas Tango ball!) swerving in the air like I had never seen before, particularly the sensational goal for Brazil against Italy by Neliniho! Still my favourite goal ever in a match.
  • DeVlaeminck
    78, I was supporting Scotland (my mum is from near Paisley), we'd been up there at my Grans and there was real world cup frenzy, main memories are Alan Rough letting that goal in near post and the Peru game and jumping off the settee when Archie Gemmil scored his Trainspotting goal against the Dutch. The Adidas Tango was always seen as being a bit exotic - if someone brought one down the park (with hindsight would have been a cheaper replica) that was the ball you wanted to use - not least because it didn't give you concussion if you headed it like your standard Mitre.
  • Frank Wilson
    Not necessarily first memory but stand out moment Paolo Rossi hat trick against Brazil, Spain 82.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Not necessarily first memory but stand out moment Paolo Rossi hat trick against Brazil, Spain 82.

Was in an Italian Barbers shop watching this. Worst haircut ever, but what an atmosphere. Did I ever get stick at school the next day,, for the state of my Barnet.

Off to St Petersburg next week to take in 2 games. Was apprehensive about going at first, but really looking forward to it now.
  • Frank Wilson
    Fat Cat wrote:

Was in an Italian Barbers shop watching this. Worst haircut ever, but what an atmosphere. Did I ever get stick at school the next day,, for the state of my Barnet.

Off to St Petersburg next week to take in 2 games. Was apprehensive about going at first, but really looking forward to it now.

Enjoy it mate, as a Wales fan I can only look on from afar, yet again!!

Been to Moscow twice watching Wales and apart from how bloody cold it was (not summer matches) never had any mither, Moscow underground is something else.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Twas ever thus...
    Pop.*

*1966 apart.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fat_cat
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Twas ever thus...
    Pop.*

*1966 apart.

Cheers mate.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    Fat Cat wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Twas ever thus...
    Pop.*

*1966 apart.

Cheers mate.
    Enjoy the first two (England) games, and whatever games you are going to, then party.
    Edit - St. Petersburg, no England games. Enjoy the atmosphere.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fat_cat
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Fat Cat wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Twas ever thus...
    Pop.*

*1966 apart.

Cheers mate.
    Enjoy the first two (England) games, and whatever games you are going to, then party.
    Edit - St. Petersburg, no England games. Enjoy the atmosphere.

2 games are Brazil vs Costa Rica and Argentina vs Nigeria. We got the tickets before the draw, and I'm more than happy with the way its worked out.

Wanted to avoid England games to be honest. Having been to a few in the past they are simply too much hassle and the atmosphere tends to be pretty toxic. Its such a shame because it is only a minority of complete idiots that spoil it for everyone.

As an example, went to The Millennium Stadium for a Wales vs England match a few years back (can't remember the year, but England won 1 - 0 and Joe Cole scored). Was looking forward to hearing the welsh fans sing Land of My Fathers, but all I could hear was idiots around me bellowing who are yer through the entire anthem.

Also went to the Belgium vs Rep of Ireland game in the last Euros in Bordeaux, which was an example by both sets of fans as to how to behave, getting behind their own team, whilst respecting the opponents. I just don't get the aggressive tribalism in English Football fans.
  • Matthewfalle
    First memory: being in Rome when Italy won it in '82. Amazing atmosphere, at the Colloseum at 3 in the morning eating pizza with a traffic jam of people standing on their car horns and a sea of Italian flags stretching out.

Best memory: this. Utter sheer jumping off the couch joy, especially the second goal. Best few minutes of World Cup football ever. Pirlo, Del Piero, Buffon, Cannavaro, Grosso................. Utter sheer amazing joy.

Just watching it now finding the link has made me shiver.

3:56 the chaos, joy, ecstasy, euphoria starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPmj1rFM6oE

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    As a complete aside, Mrs BBGeek (hitherto unknown for her interest in fashion) is quite taken with the outfit the Nigerian team travelled in. Beats our effort by a long way.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,045
    Not long until it all kicks off, so we need to start generating some unrealistic expectations etc for England about Football coming home.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OzxMjBEazas

Wonder what they pixelled out from the German team shirts at 3:00 in? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]