Criterium du Dauphine 2018 Spoiler nee chat

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Gary Imlach is best of breed. Carlton Kirby is not. Impey has always had an impressive jump but that jump last night was an absolute belter.
  • I think Gary Imlach comes pretty close to being pure good bloke.

I suggest anyone try and segue and summarise like he does.

I spent one evening, because I'm odd, trying to come up with a good one before the highlights came on.

Impossible.

Met Gary briefly in Utrecht at the 2015 Grand Depart. He chatted very pleasantly to me and GF despite being boiled to death in the heatwave and having his piece to camera constantly interrupted by the carillon.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    I think Gary Imlach comes pretty close to being pure good bloke.

I suggest anyone try and segue and summarise like he does.

I spent one evening, because I'm odd, trying to come up with a good one before the highlights came on.

Impossible.

Terrific bloke in person as well. I still chuckle as his description of watching people running alongside riders on climbs as the 'overhead nutter-cam'.

If you haven't read his book 'My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes', it's well worth seeking out.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    Break is:
    A. Duchesne
    P. Perichon
    F. Backaert
    N. Stalnov

6"10 advantage after an hour. Not a breakaway day.

Alexis Vuillermoz is non-starter.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    Kwia down 1.4 km out
    looks bad
  • mrpowly
    mrpowly Posts: 16
    Kwiatkowski down holding shoulder
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    Kwia down hard, in the last 3 km so will get same time....if he's ok. Looks like a collarbone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    He's rolling in now, hope he's ok
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Kwait seeming ok. Impy takes yellow due to bonifications.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    Roll on Thursday when they actually go up a hill.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    NO! What has happened to MY MAN!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Probably My Man Flowerman's mistake. Got pedal strike by pedalling one revolution too many.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    (Man, Gary Imlach looks old now :( )
    Without looking it up, how old do you think he is? I've seen people say the same thing about Hugh Grant recently.
    People seem to fall into two categories wrt to ageing - those who age a bit each year (so you hardly notice a difference from year-to-year and, if you do, you think it natural), and those who stay more or less the same for about 7 or so years, then suddenly age in one big step. Maybe Imlach and Hugh Grant fall into the latter category?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    knedlicky wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    (Man, Gary Imlach looks old now :( )
    Without looking it up, how old do you think he is? I've seen people say the same thing about Hugh Grant recently.
    People seem to fall into two categories wrt to ageing - those who age a bit each year (so you hardly notice a difference from year-to-year and, if you do, you think it natural), and those who stay more or less the same for about 7 or so years, then suddenly age in one big step. Maybe Imlach and Hugh Grant fall into the latter category?
    Gary's 57 now (as is Hugh Grant), and he looks pretty good for it in my opinion. Of course there are people who never seem to age at all like Paul Rudd and my friend Morgan.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    What does Gary Imlach do for the rest of the year?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,936
    davidof wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    The Col du Mont Noir looks like an interesting climb (there appear to be a lot of them in Vercors tbh), but I'm guessing they're not going at it from this end?

I've skied over the Col du Mont Noir :-).

Your photo is from the D22 Gorges du Nant, they are taking the D31, the other interesting climb is the D292 via Presles. So they seem to be avoiding the two most interesting climbs.
    Missed this earlier.

The Col de Mont Noir is a rather odd choice - a narrow forest road hidden away in the trees. When I rode it, the descent to Rencurel was riddled with massive potholes.

img_20160828_125123750blog.jpg
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Any excuse to show your bike off :)
  • above_the_cows
    We need to talk about the saddle and bar tap mismatch.
  • briantrumpet
    knedlicky wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    The Col du Mont Noir looks like an interesting climb (there appear to be a lot of them in Vercors tbh), but I'm guessing they're not going at it from this end?
    I've skied over the Col du Mont Noir :-).
    Your photo is from the D22 Gorges du Nant, they are taking the D31, the other interesting climb is the D292 via Presles. So they seem to be avoiding the two most interesting climbs.
    not to mention the col d la machine...D76 IIRC
    one problem I think with those AMAZINGLY under-rated drome climbs is getting the race convoy through the cliff tunnels. a lot are height restricted. perhaps even a car with bikes on its roof.
    you next to never see those roads in the tour..would be interested to know if i'm wrong... the rousett is used a fair bit but it isn't one of those cliff huggers.
    Acc to French websites, during its history the TdF has gone over only 12 cols in Drôme, although there are apparently 102 cols in the Departement.
    Those 'main' ones (admittedly a subjective choice) so far not yet ridden include Col de la Machine and Col de Pennes but I doubt they ever will, in case a rider goes over their edges. I was once told by the Gendarmerie, that this has happened on several cols at amateur level, even on the much less dangerous (two-lane) Col de la Ramaz farther north (not in Drôme), near Cluses - he went over on the Meiussy side descent.

The other aspect, as mentioned, are the low tunnels – which are often unlit too. My 'favourite risk' is the tunnel which leads down to the Canyon des Ecouges, north of the uninteresting Col de Romeyère. I think even a 4WD would have trouble in it.

On the other hand, there are some cols, like Col de Soubeyrand and Col de la Chaudière which have so far been avoided by the TdF as so narrow. But the Giro recently showed how one can get around this, by replacing team cars by team motorbikes for the relevant narrow stretches – I forget on which stage in the Giro that was done, but it's surely a possible way-to-go for the TdF too?
    I know I'm biased, but I do find it slightly odd why TdF has done so little in the Drôme and Vercors. The Dauphiné at least went down col de Grimone and up col de Rousset three (?) years ago, but when TdF went through Die last time, it was a boringly long flat stage, apart from col de Cabre (one of the least interesting cols in the area).

I think there are a few factors at play. Firstly there is the safety aspect - lots of them have their sketchy moments or are really too narrow (e.g. col de Pennes)

DSC03411.20150803blog.jpg

And yes, many do have tunnels, and I haven't yet had the courage to do the 500m unlit rabbit hole at Canyon des Ecouges:

DSC03473.20150805blog.jpg

...though this one didn't stop the Dauphiné doing col de Grimone:

IMAG0277.jpg

Also, the population density in the area is very low, and I suspect the organisers are worried that much of the route would have few spectators.

Having said that, there are quite a few cols that I think would be fantastic on TdF: col de la Bataille, col de Menée, col de Rousset, col de la Chaudière (not actually that narrow), col des Limouches, col de Prémol, col de Bacchus, and col de Tourniol, for starters.

Most of the rest I'd probably rule out, however fantastic the scenery.

My personal list here of the 1000m+ ones: https://unanglaisendiois.wordpress.com/cols/
  • briantrumpet
    Happy?

img_20180413_155413586_hdrblog.jpg
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    The hoods...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,195
    Happy?

No. Need to swap the brake hoods back to black ones :D
  • briantrumpet
    r0bh wrote:
    Happy?

Would they make me go faster up the hills?
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    r0bh wrote:
    Happy?

Cycling isn't about going fast
  • briantrumpet
    ShutupJens wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    Happy?

Cycling isn't about going fast
    If somone could tell the pros in TdF and the Dauphiné, we'd get longer to enjoy the scenery.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Happy?

I'm well impressed that you responded so promptly that you had redone the bar tape by the time you'd rode from Mont Noir to Rossas.
  • above_the_cows
    Happy?

Much better. :D
  • above_the_cows
    Oh hang on I hadn't seen the hoods...
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Team Sky: strong, but prone to.. prone.