Criterium du Dauphine 2018 Spoiler nee chat

1121314151618»

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    As a random aside, I was riding to Pico Veleta yesterday and got chatting to a lady that turned out to be Adam Yates' mother in law. She said he's buying a place in the ski village there, where they have an altitude training facility (as well as the village being ~2,500m anyway). It's quite a popular spot for cyclists I believe.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,941
    edited June 2018
    I thought they weren't identical.

I have no idea why I wrote that in the past tense unless my spidey sense is trying to tell me one or both of them has died.
    Late to this linguistics party... because both your 'thinking' and their 'being' are in the past tense in your sentence, but that doesn't imply that anyone is dead. So "I think they are identical", and "I thought they were identical" are both correct grammatically, and merely refer to different points in time when you happened to be thinking. "I think they weren't identical" and "I thought they aren't identical" both screw up the sense of time. Also, your original sentence could be completed "I thought they weren't identical, but now I realise that they are."

Hope you feel better now.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333

I have no idea why I wrote that in the past tense unless my spidey sense is trying to tell me one or both of them has died.
    Late to this linguistics party... because both your 'thinking' and 'their' being are in the past tense in your sentence, but that doesn't imply that anyone is dead. So "I think they are identical", and "I thought they were identical" are both correct grammatically, and merely refer to different points in time when you happened to be thinking. "I think they weren't identical" and "I thought they aren't identical" both screw up the sense of time. Also, your original sentence could be completed "I thought they weren't identical, but now I realise that they are."

I think I thought they are dead, but now I've thought they weren't.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • briantrumpet

Late to this linguistics party... because both your 'thinking' and 'their' being are in the past tense in your sentence, but that doesn't imply that anyone is dead. So "I think they are identical", and "I thought they were identical" are both correct grammatically, and merely refer to different points in time when you happened to be thinking. "I think they weren't identical" and "I thought they aren't identical" both screw up the sense of time. Also, your original sentence could be completed "I thought they weren't identical, but now I realise that they are."

I think I thought "they are dead", but now I've thought, they weren't.
    FTFY.

I think that this might have been in last year's SPAG tests for Y6's ;)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Blinking nora, this becoming bilingual gubbins in your thirties really messes with your linguistic neurons.

Thanks Brian.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • briantrumpet
    Blinking nora, this becoming bilingual gubbins in your thirties really messes with your linguistic neurons.

Thanks Brian.
    De rien.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333

FTFY.

"Many years later, as he faced the Champs-Élysées, Road CaptainAdam Yates was to remember that distant afternoon when Chris Froome took him to discover the Colle delle Finestre."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • briantrumpet

FTFY.

"Many years later, as he faced the Champs-Élysées, Road CaptainAdam Yates was to remember that distant afternoon when Chris Froome took him to discover the Colle delle Finestre."
    I never read that particular Mills & Boon novel.