Giro 2018, Stage 16: Trento - Rovereto - 34.2 kilometres, *Spoilers*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,646
    edited May 2018
    165cm is not 5ft8.

More like 5ft5.

I’m 168 and although I’m a knees in rider (and slow to boot) when I’m in the drops I’m low but not flat backed and my knees knock into my diaphragm and I’m very skinny; no paunch to speak of.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Aru's performance was dodge af

Soz, but.

Would've been suss even without the last few days in the mountains.

It's funnier that it came after a rest day, even tho they dont actually transfuse blood anymore.

Edit:. Transfuse? Infuse? Re-infuse? Whatevs.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    All of which means yates-pozzo-pinot in the podium, no doubt.
    Are Dumoulin and Froome going on holiday?

It's a joke about my predictive prowess. As mentioned before, my punters genuinely thought I was cursed when I worked in a bookie.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    hypster wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    I don't see how Yates can lose this now. All the terrain is in his favour to defend or attack if needs be.

Really? You've never seen a contender lose more than a minute in the final week of a GT? One crash or messing up his nutrition could lose him the race at a stroke.

Yeah, and he could get struck by lightning. I'm talking about normal racing course of events rather than acts of God.

Well crashes and mechanicals are hardly acts of god in cycle racing they are just normal racing events and there is usually at least one stage in any GT where a podium contender blows up in some way (most of this years contenders have had one barring Yates and Dumoulin). I still think there is a very real risk of Yates having a bad day but just under a minute is a healthy cushion.
  • rick_chasey
    Aru penalised 20 seconds for drafting, Ulissi & Conti two minutes. Cavagna, Pedersen, Hermans 30 seconds.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    165cm is not 5ft8.

More like 5ft5.

I’m 168 and although I’m a knees in rider (and slow to boot) when I’m in the drops I’m low but not flat backed and my knees knock into my diaphragm and I’m very skinny; no paunch to speak of.

I'm 5ft8 with a Dad Bod, but I'm not sure what the question was
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Aru penalised 20 seconds for drafting, Ulissi & Conti two minutes. Cavagna, Pedersen, Hermans 30 seconds.
    Then there’s some justice in the world. Pedersen was really taking the piss too, I saw.

That said, was this for drafting other riders or cars and motorbikes? In the latter case, it’s the drivers that are to blame.

I bet Aru gained a LOT more than 20 seconds from drafting.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    165cm is not 5ft8.

More like 5ft5.

yates is 5 foot 8 not pozzo
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    Ah ok.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

ulissi did seem a odd result
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Stage 18 to Prato Nevoso looks to particularly suit Dumoulin (and Froome), so could be interesting there..

Daniel Freibe calling stage 18 another TT day for Dumoulin. Interesting point of view
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Pross wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    I don't see how Yates can lose this now. All the terrain is in his favour to defend or attack if needs be.

Really? You've never seen a contender lose more than a minute in the final week of a GT? One crash or messing up his nutrition could lose him the race at a stroke.

Yeah, and he could get struck by lightning. I'm talking about normal racing course of events rather than acts of God.

Well crashes and mechanicals are hardly acts of god in cycle racing they are just normal racing events and there is usually at least one stage in any GT where a podium contender blows up in some way (most of this years contenders have had one barring Yates and Dumoulin). I still think there is a very real risk of Yates having a bad day but just under a minute is a healthy cushion.

I can't help but agree with your logic, disasters can and do happen but Yates (so far) looks like he is the least flustered of all the peloton. He buried himself to chase down Froome on the Zoncolon and then came out the next day and destroyed the field with an audacious attack 18km from the finish. Another measured performance in the TT today and he has three mountain stage to come which, even if he had a setback, I'm sure he could take more time if needed.

I guess the only danger may be (barring accidents) is if he just defends Thursday and Friday's stage and then has a disaster on Saturday. I'm pretty certain he'll be looking to get more time wherever he can though especially if he is feeling good. Don't forget his ace in the hole is that he is in pink as well so any mechanicals etc, should see the peloton slowing up for him as well.
  • rick_chasey
    inseine wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Stage 18 to Prato Nevoso looks to particularly suit Dumoulin (and Froome), so could be interesting there..

Daniel Freibe calling stage 18 another TT day for Dumoulin. Interesting point of view

Is that English for “talking sh!t?”

Logic makes sense to me; Dumoulin has a good record for flat _______/ stages.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    165cm is not 5ft8.

More like 5ft5.

You need shorter legs or cranks
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    gsk82 wrote:
    165cm is not 5ft8.

More like 5ft5.

165mm
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    inseine wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

It essentially is because Pratonevoso is 7% all the way. Very regular. That's no use to Dumoulin now though. Yates can just sit in the wheels on a climb like that fairly comfortably.

The better chances are on Stage 19 and 20. Sunweb just need to go balls out all day, including on the descents and hope Yates cracks. They will really need Sky's help though because they just haven't got the man power on their own.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    So where are we on Rich's "Froome injury hits his top end power but not his sustainable threshold" theory?

Much as I hate to give him any bragging rights he might be onto something here, though I'm going to assume he basically copy pasted it from elsewhere rather than coming up with himself.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    gsk82 wrote:
    165cm is not 5ft8.

More like 5ft5.

165mm

Legs then
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    So where are we on Rich's "Froome injury hits his top end power but not his sustainable threshold" theory?

Much as I hate to give him any bragging rights he might be onto something here, though I'm going to assume he basically copy pasted it from elsewhere rather than coming up with himself.
    All my own work I'm afraid
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2018
    Meh.

Froome’s record in final week TTs says he’s better than thar performance.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703
    Pross wrote:
    Any chatter over on the other site about Aru's sudden improvement in TT ability?

:) careful...

if he catapulted onto the podium there would be

No there wouldn't.
    The forum decreed back in '15 that because Aru was Italian and rode for Astana, he was a natural talent.
    Therefore his progression in any discipline could be stratospheric and nobody should bat an eyelid.
    Talking of natural progression, I hear that Cyclingnews have been questioning Yates's.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-di ... s-podcast/

Nothing to do with him being British mind.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:

All my own work I'm afraid

Bah humbug.
  • The_Boy

65-70% correct? I'd say he's better than what he showed today, imo and we're into the sharp end of the race where "he's riding himself into form" has less and less strength as an argument.

He'll finish on the podium at the minimum tho.
  • RichN95.
    Meh.

Froome’s record in final week TTs says he’s better than thar performance.
    It's a really strong TT field though. Those top 5 are arguably five of the top six TTers in the world right now.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856

I'm sure there is some truth to it but I'm not convinced it's the whole story.

He would have had to put a lot of power through his knees to mount that attack on the Zoncolan.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Possibly notable, Sunweb came third in the TT team ranking (top three riders)
    Michelton-Scott rolled in 5 minutes later in 16th place, which after accounting for Yates time drop to Dumoulin is nearly two minutes for each of the two others. Sunweb's Chad Haga was faster than Yates.

I think they may have done pretty well at taking it easy.

Sky were 2nd, with 3 in the top ten.

Here's how Sunweb and Once Were Orica came in. For the purposes of argument, I'm claiming anyone faster than 4 minutes down did too much work.

3 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb 0:00:22
    7 Chad Haga (USA) Team Sunweb 0:00:47
    20 Simon Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott 0:01:37
    28 Sam Oomen (Ned) Team Sunweb 0:02:15
    44 Christopher Juul Jensen (Den) Mitchelton-Scott 0:02:39
    54 Louis Vervaeke (Bel) Team Sunweb 0:02:58

94 Laurens ten Dam (Ned) Team Sunweb 0:04:08
    95 Jack Haig (Aus) Mitchelton-Scott 0:04:09
    98 Mikel Nieve (Spa) Mitchelton-Scott 0:04:10
    106 Roy Curvers (Ned) Team Sunweb 0:04:19
    109 Svein Tuft (Can) Mitchelton-Scott 0:04:24
    116 Esteban Chaves (Col) Mitchelton-Scott 0:04:32
    125 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Mitchelton-Scott 0:04:51
    132 Lennard Hofstede (Ned) Team Sunweb 0:05:15
    146 Sam Bewley (NZl) Mitchelton-Scott 0:05:31
    151 Christopher Hamilton (Aus) Team Sunweb 0:05:53
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

Once Were Orica

I thought Astana were Once
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Once Were Orica

I thought Astana were Once

:lol: Dammit, how did I not see that!
  • RichN95.
    Sky were 2nd, with 3 in the top ten.
    Sky are leading that at the moment - eight minutes ahead of Astana and ten ahead of Mitchelton (who are clearly not interested now)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    All of which means yates-pozzo-pinot in the podium, no doubt.
    Are Dumoulin and Froome going on holiday?

Yes and they'd like to let you know they have a wedding list at John Lewis where you can choose from a range of gifts to suit your budget.

Anyway looks like I missed a cracker!

Some early photos of Aru's TT

bobby-car-gonzo-1.jpg

And who the blazes is this dude?

bilbao-astana17-920.jpg

What is it with mystery invisible Spaniards do they have invisibility cloaks or is it something in the water?
    Correlation is not causation.