**spoiler** Paris - Roubaix 2018

1121314151618»

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “I never give up either on the bike or on other things in life, and I didn’t want to give up out of respect for the race, Paris-Roubaix is ​​a Monument that you must honour,” Siskevicius continued.
    The ride was better than the drivel above. I guess that’s why he’s a cyclist. And fair play to him for riding on, whatever his precise reasons.

Seems odd to me now.
    Maybe he'd been collecting sponsorship money?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,868
    RichN95 wrote:
    personally, I think they should be forced to get in the broom wagon if one climbs off or gets swept up. (medical stuff exempted)
    Why? There's absolutely no point in doing that.

the encompassing of all of the human condition including the negative is one of sports great assets. which is why i am against goal-line video in football etc.

the sheer brilliance that the crowd can have a better view than the ref and experience the sheer unfairness of a bad decision is one of the greatest advancements in human history.

this sport has this amazing capacity to allow for both good and bad aspects of the human condition but still not matter because it's only a stupid bike race. yes, there is no point to having the broom wagon beyond humiliating the riders..but then again whats the point of any of it? utterly ludicrous activity really.

I wouldn't rule out something just because it creates negative emotion....thou I would quash certain experiences.

and yes that is an arbitrary judgment and I'm making it.

maybe we should not have winners and losers and instead just give everyone a medal for taking part?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    It should be an open trailer too, fans could boo and throw flour and eggs as the riders are driven through heads bowed.

:) well i wouldn't go that far.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    yes, there is no point to having the broom wagon beyond humiliating the riders..
    No, it's there to pick up people who abandon with no team car to pick them up. They'll drop them off when the reach one.

Now, practicalities. 62 riders failed to finish Paris-Roubaix. How are you going to get them all into a 15 seater minibus?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    RichN95 wrote:
    yes, there is no point to having the broom wagon beyond humiliating the riders..
    No, it's there to pick up people who abandon with no team car to pick them up. They'll drop them off when the reach one.

Now, practicalities. 62 riders failed to finish Paris-Roubaix. How are you going to get them all into a 15 seater minibus?

you and your practical facts.... kill joy

getting a bigger wagon
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    RichN95 wrote:
    MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    Screen_Shot_2018_04_12_at_14_35_02.png

i always remember this
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!
    Like the school run in the 80s. Sure we can get nine into a mini metro. Three in the boot for a start.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!
    Like the school run in the 80s. Sure we can get nine into a mini metro. Three in the boot for a start.

I think they had two buses. Sporza had two videos - one of this dude specifically and one more generally of riders getting into the broom wagon. The second one shows at least two buses.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    It seems daft to get a bigger bus when they could just have a couple of tractors with trailers. Would be far easier to hit the riders with eggs and flour if they were sitting in the open. They'd also still get to appreciate the cobbles.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    There are certainly forum members who would be taking the short bus... :P
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    It seems daft to get a bigger bus when they could just have a couple of tractors with trailers. Would be far easier to hit the riders with eggs and flour if they were sitting in the open. They'd also still get to appreciate the cobbles.

I see you’ve been hanging out with Dutch race directors.
  • RichN95.
    Matteo Trentin is in a back brace so he's made the best of it

DaqGFa6WAAADOSm.jpg
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95 wrote:
    Matteo Trentin is in a back brace so he's made the best of it

DaqGFa6WAAADOSm.jpg
    How long is he out?

I had to wear one of those for 3 months (skiing accident...), it was a right nuisance.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    :lol: brilliant
  • That’s amazing :mrgreen:
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    Wallays is right, Sagan's an idiot. Dangerous move... can't see what's to love about it?
  • RichN95.
    dish_dash wrote:
    Wallays is right, Sagan's an idiot. Dangerous move... can't see what's to love about it?
    Because it's Sagan who seems to be an untouchable messiah to many. He could literally inject EPO in a press conference and people would rave about his needle technique.
  • ddraver
    Dish is right, and so is Rich. I just love how "Sagan" it is.

Whilst I agree that it's time for journalists to cover other people in the pro peloton with personalities rahter than produce yet another "Sagan wears goggles on podium, Woah what a dude" article, I do like how Sagan just undoes all of the assholery around cycling yet is still the most successful rider.

Kinda like how Froome is the best GC rider of the generation yet didnt know who Eddie Merckx was...
    - @ddraver
  • Wallays is probably annoyed he didnt work it out and take advantage.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Dish is right, and so is Rich. I just love how "Sagan" it is.

Whilst I agree that it's time for journalists to cover other people in the pro peloton with personalities rahter than produce yet another "Sagan wears goggles on podium, Woah what a dude" article, I do like how Sagan just undoes all of the assholery around cycling yet is still the most successful rider.

Kinda like how Froome is the best GC rider of the generation yet didnt know who Eddie Merckx was...

Haha
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    dish_dash wrote:
    Can you imagine if Moscon did the same? :shock:

The internet would break.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Because it's Sagan who seems to be an untouchable messiah to many. He could literally inject EPO in a press conference and people would rave about his needle technique.

If the story, as told in that article, is right then Sagan was acting like a total a***hole and could have caused a bad accident, hopefully he would just have taken himself down but could have taken the other guy out.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • m.r.m.
    "Could have" is pointless. If he has the technique to pull it off without anyone crashing it's a baller move. Sure it's dangerous, but no more than chopping corners or plenty of other things done in racing. Mostly by him as well. :wink:
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I thought he was riding right up to those bollard things before moving out at the very last minute to tey and put the swiss guy off. Brilliant.
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    "Could have" is pointless. If he has the technique to pull it off without anyone crashing it's a baller move. Sure it's dangerous, but no more than chopping corners or plenty of other things done in racing. Mostly by him as well. :wink:
    No, it's deliberately interfering with another rider. It's a d!ck move and could merit a DQ.
  • ddraver
    Dabber wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

If the story, as told in that article, is right then Sagan was acting like a total a***hole and could have caused a bad accident, hopefully he would just have taken himself down but could have taken the other guy out.

It's an extract from his book. The story is told in Sagan's own words...
    - @ddraver
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    andyp wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Can you imagine if Moscon did the same? :shock:

The internet would break.

Think you may be overestimating how many folk have heard of Moscon. Minitel maybe...