**spoiler** Paris - Roubaix 2018

Comments

• nickice wrote:
    I was on the Carrefour de l'Arbe. A potential cash cow that the region is not taking advantage of. The best we got was a stand handing out keyrings, caps and pens. I heard it used to be a bit wild but there are enough gendarmes there to have somewhere selling beer and food. Thousands of people all and not much of a result for the local economy.
    When we saw there was no beer tent at Carrefour we pedalled to Cysoing, joined in the party in the town square...plenty of beers and screens to watch the race. Watched the riders come through, then pedalled back to the top of the Carrefour in plenty of time to see the riders come through...then some people stayed to watch the finale on the big screen, others went back to Cysoing for more beers in time to see the last 5k. I'd say Cysoing bars and restaurants took thousands that day.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Apparently there's a time limit for PR?

But....

La Flamme Rouge@laflammerouge16

#ParisRoubaix - At 18.13, one hour later than Sagan, Siskevicius reached the velodrome out of time, with gates closed. Organizers still opened the gate for him giving him the joy to reach the finish line.

DaXh9ZiXkAAAmC_.jpg:large
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    He still got DNF.

He was with the autobus when he got a puncture and luckily saw his team car so got a wheel!!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    On_What wrote:
    Not sure what happened to Stybar, he seemed like he could do something but got caught with Gilbert.
    Stybar had attacked previously and definitely didn't have the legs anymore after being caught.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Alvin Cailan should get 4-5 Eggslut food trucks going for these races. Would make a fortune!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 721
    What is the reason for the time limit in a one day race?

I understand in stage races you wouldn't want riders cruising round so they can save energy to target other stages, but it seems mean not to have a more generous cut off in a one day race.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    But....
    La Flamme Rouge@laflammerouge16

#ParisRoubaix - At 18.13, one hour later than Sagan, Siskevicius reached the velodrome out of time, with gates closed. Organizers still opened the gate for him giving him the joy to reach the finish line.

DaXh9ZiXkAAAmC_.jpg:large
    And here's the video of Siskevicius: "Hij wil niet stoppen" (He won't stop)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvHfa_R8eF8
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    diplodicus wrote:
    What is the reason for the time limit in a one day race?

I understand in stage races you wouldn't want riders cruising round so they can save energy to target other stages, but it seems mean not to have a more generous cut off in a one day race.
    They can't keep the roads closed forever?
  • diplodicus
    True. But he finished an hour down on Sagan. That means the last 30km of road stays closed for one hour after the leader has gone through. Doesn't seem too bad, especially considering the numbers clogging up the open roads the previous day, which the locals seem to take in good humor!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    People want to get home and people will start using the roads once the cars etc are through so it'd be dangerous to actually race it if you are behind the last race vehicle, if you are an hour down you aren't really in the race.

I suppose Paris Roubaix is one of the only events where just finishing the course is an achievement even for a pro.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    He still got DNF
    The standard UCI time limit rule for registering a rider's time and final placing in one-day races is that they must finish within the winner's time plus 8% thereof. 8% of Sagan's time was 28:19, and the last rider to finish within that was Consonni (UAE Team Emirates), at 26:54 and placed as 101st.

By UCI rules, all riders who finish outside the time limit but before the broom wagon should be registered as finishing but as OTL, neither their time or any placing being registered. Twelve riders finished between 37:33 and 49:58 after Sagan and before the broom wagon, so accordingly all were listed as OTL.

That Siskevicius finished but was nonetheless listed as DNF must be because the broom wagon arrived at the finish before him. At the end of the video (link in an above post) it appears the broom wagon driver and Siskevicius agree that Siskevicius will finish alone and so the broom wagon drives off ahead (and so probably did arrive at the finish before him).
    Pity that happened; if I were him I'd rather be listed as OTL than DNF.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    I doubt he gives a sh!t tbh.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

I think calling him an "unsung hero" is a bit rich - everyone's been talking about him...

Still a great story.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    He still got DNF.

He was with the autobus when he got a puncture and luckily saw his team car so got a wheel!!

I think his team car was on the back of a recovery truck - is that right?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    He still got DNF.

I think his team car was on the back of a recovery truck - is that right?

Yes, there is footage of him climbing up and getting a wheel, looked precarious in cleats!
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • carbonclem
    nickice wrote:
    I was on the Carrefour de l'Arbe. A potential cash cow that the region is not taking advantage of. The best we got was a stand handing out keyrings, caps and pens. I heard it used to be a bit wild but there are enough gendarmes there to have somewhere selling beer and food. Thousands of people all and not much of a result for the local economy.

I was at Saint Python, a few locals had set up a trestle table under a gazebo selling drinks at the start of the sector, very low key. Walking back to my car at the end, I spoke to a French guy who had picked up a discarded bidon, he was actually drinking from the mud covered souvenier - seems there is a need for better refreshment provision :lol:
  • diplodicus
    knedlicky wrote:
    He still got DNF
    The standard UCI time limit rule for registering a rider's time and final placing in one-day races is that they must finish within the winner's time plus 8% thereof. 8% of Sagan's time was 28:19, and the last rider to finish within that was Consonni (UAE Team Emirates), at 26:54 and placed as 101st.

By UCI rules, all riders who finish outside the time limit but before the broom wagon should be registered as finishing but as OTL, neither their time or any placing being registered. Twelve riders finished between 37:33 and 49:58 after Sagan and before the broom wagon, so accordingly all were listed as OTL.

That Siskevicius finished but was nonetheless listed as DNF must be because the broom wagon arrived at the finish before him. At the end of the video (link in an above post) it appears the broom wagon driver and Siskevicius agree that Siskevicius will finish alone and so the broom wagon drives off ahead (and so probably did arrive at the finish before him).
    Pity that happened; if I were him I'd rather be listed as OTL than DNF.

Thanks, I didn't know about the OTL and DNF difference.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Kind of surprised that within 1 hour of Sagan winning, they had completed the ceremonies, everyone had cleared the velodrome and they were just about to lock up for the night.
  • carbonclem
    Milton50 wrote:
    Kind of surprised that within 1 hour of Sagan winning, they had completed the ceremonies, everyone had cleared the velodrome and they were just about to lock up for the night.

Id assume they would just have restricted access at that point, but! there are a few holes in the story ... :mrgreen:

Why was 'he' clambering about on a transporter getting his own wheel? Surely the driver/someone else was with the car? If not how could he access it/the kit?

Why was he not 'made' to get in the broom wagon, and why was it being filmed?

Yes, why was the gate shut up so soon?

All points might be logically explained, but I cynically think a 'good news' story may have been 'created' here? I hope not ...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Id assume they would just have restricted access at that point, but! there are a few holes in the story ... :mrgreen:

Why was 'he' clambering about on a transporter getting his own wheel? Surely the driver/someone else was with the car? If not how could he access it/the kit?

All points might be logically explained, but I cynically think a 'good news' story may have been 'created' here? I hope not ...
    I can't guess about the car driver or why it was being filmed (although it's not unusual for someone to cover the broom wagon angle on a race like this) but...

No-one is ever forced to get into the Broom Wagon. It's there to pick up people who want to abandon and mark the back of the race

The gate would have been locked to stop people coming in while they cleared up.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    nickice wrote:
    When we saw there was no beer tent at Carrefour we pedalled to Cysoing, joined in the party in the town square...plenty of beers and screens to watch the race. Watched the riders come through, then pedalled back to the top of the Carrefour in plenty of time to see the riders come through...then some people stayed to watch the finale on the big screen, others went back to Cysoing for more beers in time to see the last 5k. I'd say Cysoing bars and restaurants took thousands that day.

I'd have been pushing it to get back from Cysoing to the corner in time (which is where I wanted to be) but I suppose I'm a bit of an exception as I live locally so the thought of going into Cysoing is not particularly exciting for me. I've usually watched it about 500m before the Willems-Hem sector as many of my in-laws live there. I'll probably go back to doing that next year now that I've beeen on the Carrefour de L'Arbre once. I also think it's nice to have a bar as at races like Gent-Wevelgem and the Tour of Flanders I've usually got chatting to people more. When everyone brings their own supplies, they tend to stay in their groups.
  • DeVlaeminck
    CarbonClem wrote:

How and why would they *make* someone get into the broom wagon?

The gate was probably shut because it's only opened for the bike racers - the bike race was finished so they shut it - I'm sure there were other entrances still open.
  • carbonclem
    CarbonClem wrote:

How and why would they *make* someone get into the broom wagon?

The gate was probably shut because it's only opened for the bike racers - the bike race was finished so they shut it - I'm sure there were other entrances still open.

I’m sure you’re correct , don’t take it too seriously. I’m just jaded by bombardment of publicity stunts and always suspicious. It’s a cool story :)
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I don't think people are allowed in trailered cars, so the driver with keys must have been in the minibus.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    This:

“I never give up either on the bike or on other things in life, and I didn’t want to give up out of respect for the race, Paris-Roubaix is ​​a Monument that you must honour,” Siskevicius continued.

“But when I came to the velodrome, the organisers had already closed the gates. But thankfully the marshal was sympathetic and let me in. That way I could still ride my lap and a half on the track.”
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    “I never give up either on the bike or on other things in life, and I didn’t want to give up out of respect for the race, Paris-Roubaix is ​​a Monument that you must honour,” Siskevicius continued.
    The ride was better than the drivel above. I guess that’s why he’s a cyclist. And fair play to him for riding on, whatever his precise reasons.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    personally, I think they should be forced to get in the broom wagon if one climbs off or gets swept up. (medical stuff exempted)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    personally, I think they should be forced to get in the broom wagon if one climbs off or gets swept up. (medical stuff exempted)
    Why? There's absolutely no point in doing that.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    It should be an open trailer too, fans could boo and throw flour and eggs as the riders are driven through heads bowed.