Paris - Nice 2018 SPOILERS

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,788
edited May 2018 in Pro race
Don't think we usually do a stage by stage spoiler thread, especially for Stage 1.
This goes past where I live, which is quite usual since the Yvelines bought the rights 7 year or so ago.
Not a hard stage but does go up the '17 corners' climb that locals know well and were used as part of the TT course in 2012 where Brad finished 2nd, going on to win the race.
The final ramp is quite hard, a bit like last year (why I've picked Demare again to win).

It's peeing it down here at the moment but should ease later.

7d537

Comments

• ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Looking forward to a watch of this one, never usually get to see any of P-N live but have a free afternoon. Not a straightforward sprint and a potentially nervous day for anyone looking to do well on GC
  • inseine
    This is what the organisers have to say......
    The prologue experts and the pure sprinters are in for a surprise as the 2018 Paris - Nice kicks-off with an absolutely unprecedented format on the way to Meudon. The 135km stage 1 will display a quite classical visit of the vallée de Chevreuse, with the curvy côte des 17 tournants (literally, the “climb with 17 turns”), but the final stretch promises a hard fight on the way to the Paris-Meudon Observatory. “There certainly won’t be 50 riders battling it out for victory”, according to François Lemarchand, who designed the route of the 76th Paris - Nice. “The climb leading to the finish is really hard and the there are cobbles. It’s not like Paris - Roubaix, but it will shake the peloton. It’s a finish typically designed for puncheurs, where you cannot produce your effort too early. I think we’ll already witness some differences and this stage can open the race in an unusual fashion. We’ll know who comes with good legs!”
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    inseine wrote:
    This is what the organisers have to say......
    The prologue experts and the pure sprinters are in for a surprise as the 2018 Paris - Nice kicks-off with an absolutely unprecedented format on the way to Meudon. The 135km stage 1 will display a quite classical visit of the vallée de Chevreuse, with the curvy côte des 17 tournants (literally, the “climb with 17 turns”), but the final stretch promises a hard fight on the way to the Paris-Meudon Observatory. “There certainly won’t be 50 riders battling it out for victory”, according to François Lemarchand, who designed the route of the 76th Paris - Nice. “The climb leading to the finish is really hard and the there are cobbles. It’s not like Paris - Roubaix, but it will shake the peloton. It’s a finish typically designed for puncheurs, where you cannot produce your effort too early. I think we’ll already witness some differences and this stage can open the race in an unusual fashion. We’ll know who comes with good legs!”

Sounds good!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    PTP GC Picks

15 Alaphilippe
    14 Poels
    4 Fuglsang
    3 Henao, Martin
    2 Barguil, Wellens
    1 Costa, Gesink, Izaguirre, Sanchez, Zakarin

By contrast, the bookies' odds

11/4 Poels
    3/1 Alaphilippe
    8/1 Van Garderen
    10/1 Mollema
    12/1 Fuglsang, Henao
    18/1 Wellens
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ShutupJens
    Thought Rolland was benefiting from new and improved training methods when he moved to Garmindale. So far this season his goal seems to be going into the break on days when it's definitely not going to stay to the finish.. first in the desert now he's up the road with Jurgen Roelandts and one other, being kept on a short lead
  • ShutupJens
    Catch pretty much made just after 20km to go, riders in the break having a chat and everyone in the bunch with any intention of racing is stripping off for the finish
  • inseine
    This finish is evil. The GC guys can't sit up or they'll loose a load of time and it's going to be so easy to totally mistime the sprint.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,390
    It's quite narrow too
  • ShutupJens
    Greipel stringing it out. A sight to behold
  • inseine
  • inseine
    I'm feeling good about my man Demare
  • Dorset_Boy
    Photo finish, none of them know who won
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Photo finish

Between?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Dorset_Boy
    edited March 2018
    Demare, Wellens, Bahrain guy and Cofidis guy
    Given to Demare - homer judge!
  • ShutupJens
    That made my legs hurt. Hard finish! Demare takes it by a whisker apparently
  • Dorset_Boy
    Izagiri was the Bahrain guy.
    Really not convinced it was his though.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Laporte in 3rd

Alaphillppe in 6th
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Nice finish to that stage.

Nothing left on the road there.
  • inseine
    My PTP man gets it and my GC pick (Wellens) with a tremendous turn of speed gets 3rd or 4th.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Wellens 4th
  • inseine
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Wellens 4th
    But did you see his speed over last 100m? Flying
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    Major fail by Hatch with the Haussler call.
    Demare given the win by the narrowest of margins.
    Laporte continues his impressive form.
    Now, will the 3 kms rule apply or was that a catagorised all the way to the line?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inseine
    Now, will the 3 kms rule apply or was that a catagorised all the way to the line?
    For some reason CyclingNews made the same mistake.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited March 2018
    Most of the favourites made the first group. Fuglsang, Zakarin and Van Garderen missing.

Edit:
    Loses as it currently stands

Oomen +0.20
    De La Cruz +0.28
    Barguil +0.34
    Fuglsang +1.38
    Zakarin +5.14
    Costa +17.33
    MIA Van Garderen
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537
    Van garderen abandoned after crash... still trying to find out if 3km rule applies or not... I can't believe they've called that an hilly finish
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    RichN95 wrote:
    Most of the favourites made the first group. Fuglsang, Zakarin and Van Garderen missing.

TJVG abandoned after his earlier crash didn’t he?

Interesting that none of the photo finishes showed the markings on them, I couldn’t separate 1st and 2nd from what I saw.
  • Laporte - great early season form

Ion Izagire 10th. He could do ok this year