Laura Plummer and Tramadol

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    FishFish wrote:
    Matthew is right. There is no more to it than this. All the other stuff is just variability in peoples compassion.

Thank you!

See - Smithy was right, again.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FishFish wrote:
    Matthew is right. There is no more to it than this. All the other stuff is just variability in peoples compassion.

Thank you!

One thing's for certain, she won't do it again - if she comes out alive!
  • Matthewfalle
    RallyBiker wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

Thank you!

FFS of course she’ll come out alive. It’s Egypt not Syria. She’ll spend the next couple of years with a bunch of other Western losers in a corner cell all moaning about how they were set up bringing gear into the country,

Overreaction levels have reached peak point.

She’s an imbecile.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    RallyBiker wrote:
    She certainly won't do it again if she dies.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    PBlakeney wrote:
    RallyBiker wrote:
    She certainly won't do it again if she dies.

Who knows - perhaps next time she’ll be reincarnated as a less stupid better drug smuggler. Not an imbecile busted for too many Trammys in her handbag.

Put it this way - she hasn’t exactly got a glowing criminal cv - I don’t think that the Medellin cartels will be offering her a job.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060

She’s an imbecile.

Granted but should being an imbecile be punishable by 3 years in a foreign prison?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's not a foreign prison. It's very local to where she committed the crime.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

• Overreaction levels have reached peak point.

She’s an imbecile.

Granted but should being an imbecile be punishable by 3 years in a foreign prison?

Yes

Letting off idiots sends out the wrong message.

Think of any sentence as part punishment and part deterrence.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What drug dealer buys a plane ticket to Egypt to smuggle £25 of tramadol?

Someone who knows it’s not possible to legally buy Tramadol in Egypt and wants someone in Egypt to have some?
  • Matthewfalle
    edited December 2017

She’s an imbecile.

Yes because that is where she was caught. If I went off on one in, say, Germany, I’d expect to be locked up in a German prison. Why should it be different for our imbecile?

You seemed shocked by the fact she is in a prison in the country where she did the crime. Why is this so? Are Egyptian prisons not good enough for imbecilic British drug smugglers?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I wonder how Omar feels about Laura - and her family - never pronouncing his name correctly?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Matthewfalle
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I wonder how Omar feels about Laura - and her family - never pronouncing his name correctly?

He probably didn’t notice as he was permanently smashed off his face on free Tramadol and local raki.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    I don’t think that the Medellin cartels will be offering her a job.
    Nah, Medellin has changed for the better. My missus was there for a couple of weeks in September, loved it, we're planning to go again later next year. 'Course, can always take orders.
  • DeVlaeminck
    [

Yes because that is where she was caught. If I went off on one in, say, Germany, I’d expect to be locked up in a German prison. Why should it be different for our imbecile?

You seemed shocked by the fact she is in a prison in the country where she did the crime. Why is this so? Are Egyptian prisons not good enough for imbecilic British drug smugglers?

I've only italicised the foreign because you consistently accuse others of emphasising it.

Of course nobody is surprised the jail is in Egypt but obviously the worse the conditions the worse the punishment, 3 years house arrest at the Savoy wouldn't be as bad.

The question remains, do you think £25 of tramadol is worth 3 years in that jail?
  • cooldad
    The correct question is, did she?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    In Egypt, it's used a a precursor for synthetic heroin.

Try smuggling Contac NT/psuedoephedrine into Australia.

It's an OTC drug in many countries, but importing it into Australia in a quantity greater than 3.2g can lead to a fine of up to $500,000 or a jail sentence of up to 15 years because it can be a precursor of P and methamphetamine.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    The question remains, do you think £25 of tramadol is worth 3 years in that jail?
    Is that the punishment for the crime in that Country?
    Would you risk stealing an apple in Saudi?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    [

I've only italicised the foreign because you consistently accuse others of emphasising it.

Of course nobody is surprised the jail is in Egypt but obviously the worse the conditions the worse the punishment, 3 years house arrest at the Savoy wouldn't be as bad.

I personally wouldn’t risk 3 years for £25 worth of Trammy but I’m not an idiot. She is and did feel she could get away with it.

If that is the law in Egypt then so be it - 3 years it is.

Seem like you want special treatment for her.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DeVlaeminck
    No I don't want special treatment for her, I think 3 years for smuggling £25 worth of prescription painkillers for what appears to be personal use by her "husband" is excessive whether that is for her, you, me or anyone else.

You clearly think that 3 years is a fair punishment for it, we disagree.
  • Matthewfalle
    No I don't want special treatment for her, I think 3 years for smuggling £25 worth of prescription painkillers for what appears to be personal use by her "husband" is excessive whether that is for her, you, me or anyone else.

Of course it’s a fair punishment - it’s against the law in Egypt to bring them in in that quantity and that is the sentence that Egyptian law states must be handed down.

Personal use by her husband? She had 290 of the buggers and they are Egypt’s most abused drug. They are also illegal.

What would you have given her?

Or what would you give an Egyptian bringing a load of smack in?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • No I don't want special treatment for her, I think 3 years for smuggling £25 worth of prescription painkillers for what appears to be personal use by her "husband" is excessive whether that is for her, you, me or anyone else.

It's excessive simply by comparison to the UK. But a few points. Many things are prescription drugs but that's kind of the point. It's prescribed for your use. This was a prescription drug prescribed to someone else. It's simply a drug for the purposes of this discussion. In UK law she both exported it and intended to supply it to another person (the fact that it didn't reach that person is irrelevant). There are categories of sentencing for what is a Class C drug. For the export, that could well have been a prison sentence. For the supply, probably a community order. So, depending on what charge she may have faced in the UK it's probably a longer sentence than she would have got for the export. Probably by 18-24 months or so, but a prison sentence was perfectly possible.

Egypt has a massive Tramadol problem. She's been sentenced disproportionately to UK law but correctly, it seems, according to Egyptian law. She imported an illegal drug. That it could have been used by the original prescribed person is irrelevant.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696

Of course it’s a fair punishment - it’s against the law in Egypt to bring them in in that quantity and that is the sentence that Egyptian law states must be handed down.

Personal use by her husband? She had 290 of the buggers and they are Egypt’s most abused drug. They are also illegal.

And if the punishment was death it would still be fair because that's the law of the land?

As for having 290, when I got discharged from an NHS hospital I was given a carrier bag full of pain killers. I didn't count them but it was a massively improbable amount and luckily I needed hardly any. Good job I wasn't planning a holiday in Egypt* at that time..

After my mother-in-law died we took sack loads of medicines to the chemist for safe disposal, could have been anything. It's amazing how many pills are sloshing around the country, available for export.

* it's on my no-go list anyway.
  • DeVlaeminck

You keep resorting to arguing that it's the law in Egypt, we know that, nobody is arguing differently. If the law called for stoning to death would you also say it's a "fair punishment" because "that is the sentence Egyptian law states.." etc.

My point is that I think the law, sentencing guidelines or whatever in Egypt are excessive. She had 290 pills, but if you need strong painkillers for a chronic condition you aren't taking one a day, this could credibly be a couple of months supply for one person. It's £25 worth.

If someone brought £25 of heroin into any country then they clearly aren't a drug dealer so no I wouldn't treat them as if they were. It'd achieve nothing other than costing a lot of money and ruining at least one life.
  • DeVlaeminck

It's excessive simply by comparison to the UK. .

My point is not that it's excessive "compared to", it's that it is excessive in terms of justice and the purposes of a justice system.
  • cooldad

You keep resorting to arguing that it's the law in Egypt, we know that, nobody is arguing differently. If the law called for stoning to death would you also say it's a "fair punishment" because "that is the sentence Egyptian law states.." etc.

My point is that I think the law, sentencing guidelines or whatever in Egypt are excessive. She had 290 pills, but if you need strong painkillers for a chronic condition you aren't taking one a day, this could credibly be a couple of months supply for one person. It's £25 worth.

If someone brought £25 of heroin into any country then they clearly aren't a drug dealer so no I wouldn't treat them as if they were. It'd achieve nothing other than costing a lot of money and ruining at least one life.

Couple of strawmen you've set up there.

Firstly, she wasn't sentenced to stoning. Is that even a sentence in Egypt? I don't think so.

Secondly, what is the street value in Egypt? Or here for that matter. Take a 30 day supply at standard prescription costs and it's a bit more than £25. And perhaps, taking your heroin argument, it should be on number of doses, so 390 doses of heroin, not £25 worth (although I am no expert on heroin, or Tramadol.)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • No I don't want special treatment for her, I think 3 years for smuggling £25 worth of prescription painkillers for what appears to be personal use by her "husband" is excessive whether that is for her, you, me or anyone else.

It's excessive simply by comparison to the UK. .

My point is not that it's excessive "compared to", it's that it is excessive in terms of justice and the purposes of a justice system.

How would you deal with the supply and export of opioids, out of interest?
  • Matthewfalle
    edited December 2017

Importing drugs gets the death penalty in Thailand, Bali, Vietnam to name but 3 so yup, you get caught in those sountries you’re most likely going down big time. You know the score when you agree to do whatever you plan to do.

I know I will get 3 points and a fine if I do 35 in a 30 but, the Rebel that is me, I may still do it.

You seem to be making excuses for her but I don’t see you clamouring for the mass release of Egyptian nationals doing the same sentence for the same crime.

If you think the sentencing guidelines in Egypt are excessive why don’t you contact the Egyptian consulate and ask them the background to their sentencing guidelines - there may be reasoning behind it, you never know.

It’s the law and sentencing guidelines in the country she was in. End of. If you head across to the Commonwealth and Consular website you’ll find the same information as I am saying. Do the crime, do the time.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    And it's worth more than £25!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Matthewfalle
    Or let’s throw it another way De V - when was the last time you attended an opioid overdose? They really aren’t pretty.

The first dead one I attended on civvie ambo was a overdose in his gran’s shower. Next time I’ll let you get the body out while doing CPR and sticking it full of Narcan while his gran watches - you can explain that it’s all ok, it only £25 worth of Tramadol or whatever.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Or let’s throw it another way De V - when was the last time you attended an opioid overdose? They really aren’t pretty.

The first dead one I attended on civvie ambo was a overdose in his gran’s shower. Next time I’ll let you get the body out while doing CPR and sticking it full of Narcan while his gran watches - you can explain that it’s all ok, it only £25 worth of Tramadol or whatever.

Highest cause of deaths in the US, as I recall. More than guns.