Laura Plummer and Tramadol

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156
    I only heard of the drug when it turned out Team Sky were handing them out like smarties.
    Never seen Trainspotting?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    This is a misconception - understandable but you can get these drugs. I wanted to get some anti-malarials and went on line and they provided a prescription based on me filling in a risk assessment - and the pills by mail order - next day delivery and the list of available 'treatments' included tramadol and some fairly hefty looking sleeping pills. Look up on-line pharmacy - but not at work or people will think you have a problem with your dick Which in some cases is, of course, true.
    So I don't think you need to delude any doctors - assuming you can get an appointment in the first place.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    mamba80 wrote:
    ... she isnt the sharpest knife in the draw.

The word is drawer.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    FishFish wrote:
    So I don't think you need to delude any doctors - assuming you can get an appointment in the first place.

She's said she got friends to go to the Docs and ask for painkillers.

Online pharmacy or not, they won't give you 300 bleedin' Tramadol!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/26/middl ... index.html

It looks like that tramadol wasn’t on the banned list of medication published by the foreign office so those who would have checked would now be in the similar position although 300 tablets is a hard sell for personal use.

You can’t apply UK standards of legal process as that’s a subjective perspective when compared to another states process and application of nation states law.

No doubt she’ll sell her story to a red top when she gets released which will probably compare well to her shop workers salary for time served
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I only heard of the drug when it turned out Team Sky were handing them out like smarties.
    Never seen Trainspotting?

Yes, can't remember it featuring but it's been a few years. Temazepan was the prescription drug that I was aware of being commonly abused in Scotland.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Really it is a bloody stupid decision of the Egyptians to jail this woman. Those saying she deserve a spell in an Egyptian jail maybe need a dose of it themselves.

Tramadol is simply a painkiller and as said above, was not on the list of drugs travellers are warned against taking to Egypt at the time the woman made her flight. There's no reason to think she took them sell whatsoever. She didn't conceal them, they were in her suitcase.

Simple explanation - she took them for husband; why complicate matters?
  • All quite complicated. No clear explanation yet of what Egyptian law prescribes.

That said, what she did would be supply of a class C drug in the UK. That's just for the giving (or potential to) another person.

If convicted of a leading role (higher category) of import then she'd possibly get a prison sentence in the UK too. Touch and go. But our cells are nicer.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,803
    Funny how the press in this country loves to complain about how cushy our prisons are yet seems to have unlimited sympathy for any poor unfortunate Brit who gets locked up in some foreign "hell hole"
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    MrB123 wrote:
    ... foreign "hell hole"
    In a previous life I had to make frequent work trips to Hull. Definitely a hole, mainly of the sh1t variety.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    All quite complicated. No clear explanation yet of what Egyptian law prescribes.

That said, what she did would be supply of a class C drug in the UK. That's just for the giving (or potential to) another person.

If convicted of a leading role (higher category) of import then she'd possibly get a prison sentence in the UK too. Touch and go. But our cells are nicer.

This, very much this.
    And those on here who point out that it wasn't on a FO banned substance list. I reiterate what I said earlier - Check with the relevant Embassy.
  • Robert88 wrote:
    Really it is a bloody stupid decision of the Egyptians to jail this woman. Those saying she deserve a spell in an Egyptian jail maybe need a dose of it themselves.

Tramadol is simply a painkiller and as said above, was not on the list of drugs travellers are warned against taking to Egypt at the time the woman made her flight. There's no reason to think she took them sell whatsoever. She didn't conceal them, they were in her suitcase.

You are incredibly naive to believe this was anything but drug smuggling...
  • FishFish
    Ben6899 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

I was offering irony; not unintelligence.

• Ben6899
    FishFish wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

I was offering irony; not unintelligence.

I can't always tell with your posts, lad.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • DeVlaeminck
    This is quite interesting. It reads like Egypt has a problem with tramadol and Laura Plummer has fallen foul of their attempt to solve it.

https://www.madamasr.com/en/2015/04/17/ ... es-go/amp/

I suspect her "husband" is a user and she has been doing him a favour perhaps in ignorance of the severity of the penalty should she be caught.

My younger brother once smuggled some marijuana (the resin, whatever that's called, I've never been a regular smoker just made me feel sick) back from India or Sri Lanka in his shoe. He was stopped at the airport and the customs officer even joked about India and drugs and for a minute he thought he was going to get searched and then who knows, certainly his future career as a probation officer probably wouldn't have happened.

Point is people sometimes do stupid naive things and whilst I'm not saying they shouldn't be punished in Laura Plummer's case 3 years in an Egyptian jail seems excessive. For my brother he had the sense never to take dope through customs again, I don't know if he'd have got a jail sentence for smuggling £20 of cannabis resin but if he had what would it have achieved?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    For my brother he had the sense never to take dope through customs again, I don't know if he'd have got a jail sentence for smuggling £20 of cannabis resin but if he had what would it have achieved?

I guess you need to ask your Brother why he wouldnt do it again .... obviously there is a chance of getting caught, but so what if you only get a slap on the wrist .... surely your brother isnt scared of a slap on the wrist ? .. OR is is scared of going to Jail

if its the latter, then sending him to Jail would re-inforce the countries zero tollerance on drugs and would stop people like your brother from doing it .. maybe not the first time, but after a scare
  • DeVlaeminck
    edited December 2017
    fat daddy wrote:
    For my brother he had the sense never to take dope through customs again, I don't know if he'd have got a jail sentence for smuggling £20 of cannabis resin but if he had what would it have achieved?

I guess you need to ask your Brother why he wouldnt do it again .... obviously there is a chance of getting caught, but so what if you only get a slap on the wrist .... surely your brother isnt scared of a slap on the wrist ? .. OR is is scared of going to Jail

if its the latter, then sending him to Jail would re-inforce the countries zero tollerance on drugs and would stop people like your brother from doing it .. maybe not the first time, but after a scare

Well I'm pretty sure being caught and punished would have been the reason but I suspect that it wouldn't have required a 3 year jail sentence to deter him from doing it again - and in any case if he had brought small amounts of cannabis for personal use through customs for personal use would it really have mattered much to anyone?

That's my take on this Laura Plummer case - the punishment is massively disproportionate given the apparently low street value of what she had with her and the likelihood it was for her "husband".

Even with a short sentence which may be deserved I'd still feel sympathy if she was genuinely regretful.
  • Ben6899
    We have a zero tolerance on alcohol, drugs and other listed substances (including prescription drugs) where I work. The rules are black and white, there are no blurred lines and, if you're tested with anything in your system (including undeclared medication), there's only one likely outcome.

It's better that way and it's effective!
    Ben

• DeVlaeminck
    Ben6899 wrote:
    We have a zero tolerance on alcohol, drugs and other listed substances (including prescription drugs) where I work. The rules are black and white, there are no blurred lines and, if you're tested with anything in your system (including undeclared medication), there's only one likely outcome.

It's better that way and it's effective!

You get 3 years in a foreign jail?
  • Ben6899
    Don't be daft.
    Ben

• Ben6899
    Also I don't know why we keep stressing that it's a foreign jail. It's obvious that, if you commit a crime in a foreign country, then the jail you go to will be in that foreign country.

It's extraordinarily rare that you'd be brought back to your home country to serve time there.
    Ben

• fat daddy wrote:

Well I'm pretty sure being caught and punished would have been the reason but I suspect that it wouldn't have required a 3 year jail sentence to deter him from doing it again - and in any case if he had brought small amounts of cannabis for personal use through customs for personal use would it really have mattered much to anyone?

That's my take on this Laura Plummer case - the punishment is massively disproportionate given the apparently low street value of what she had with her and the likelihood it was for her "husband".

Even with a short sentence which may be deserved I'd still feel sympathy if she was genuinely regretful.

The likes of you and Mambo with your ultra-liberal views are building up huge problems for future generations.

It is your views that are fuelling the rise of the right wing although you are blind to the destructive world you are creating in your 'hug a criminal' bubble.
  • DeVlaeminck

The likes of you and Mambo with your ultra-liberal views are building up huge problems for future generations.

It is your views that are fuelling the rise of the right wing although you are blind to the destructive world you are creating in your 'hug a criminal' bubble.

And what should the punishment be for speeding, say 40 in a 30 zone, or for failing to declare some of your income on your tax return or exaggerating the value of your cycling jersey in an insurance claim?

Most people who want to hang em and flog em change their tune if someone suggests applying the same approach to their own misdemeanours.

Where people are a genuine danger to the public then lock them up but this woman has smuggled ( worst case, it's entirely possible if somewhat unlikely she was ignorant of the offence she was committing) 300 tablets which are so dangerous Team Sky hand them out to their riders almost routinely. For the likes of Ben to say they feel no sympathy at all is incredibly heartless and suggests a complete lack of the ability to empathise, a trait suggestive of psychopathic tendencies.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    mamba80 wrote:
    Laura Plummer is an idiot, no doubt but i ve not said her sentence should nt be served have i? all i ve expressed is sympathy for her plight and in no way can she be compared to Maggie Thatchers favourite DJ either.

Plight - 'a dangerous, difficult, or otherwise unfortunate situation'

Your morale compass needs a reset. This is a situation of her creation.

You need an English lesson.......
    From Collins "If you refer to someone's plight, you mean that they are in a difficult or distressing situation that is full of problems"
    It is a suitable noun to describe her predicament :wink:

How many times do i need to tell you before it sinks in to your thick skull i have not called for a reduced sentence etc etc etc or that i dont think she is the author of her own misfortune..... just that i feel sorry for her PLIGHT..... that you have no sympathy for her, says an awful lot about you doesn't it?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    fat daddy wrote:

Regretful of the crime or getting caught?
  • DeVlaeminck
    Ballysmate wrote:

Does it matter so long as they have no intention of repeating the crime ?
  • mamba80 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Laura Plummer is an idiot, no doubt but i ve not said her sentence should nt be served have i? all i ve expressed is sympathy for her plight and in no way can she be compared to Maggie Thatchers favourite DJ either.

Plight - 'a dangerous, difficult, or otherwise unfortunate situation'

Your morale compass needs a reset. This is a situation of her creation.

You need an English lesson.......
    From Collins "If you refer to someone's plight, you mean that they are in a difficult or distressing situation that is full of problems"
    It is a suitable noun to describe her predicament :wink:

How many times do i need to tell you before it sinks in to your thick skull i have not called for a reduced sentence etc etc etc or that i dont think she is the author of her own misfortune..... just that i feel sorry for her PLIGHT..... that you have no sympathy for her, says an awful lot about you doesn't it?

I don't feel a jot of sympathy for her. She created this problem for herself...

It's the same that I don't feel any sympathy for the 3 idiots that killed themselves(and the 1 severely injured) in the car crash in Birmingham just before Christmas. I feel sympathy for those innocently caught up in the idiots actions, whether they are those who died and their families, or the emergency service workers who had to clear up after the mess these 4 idiots created.

I am completely comfortable with these views. The world would be a better place if you directed your sympathy towards the correct people.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Robert88 wrote:

You are incredibly naive to believe this was anything but drug smuggling...

Like I said, I don't believe she took them to sell, she took them for her husband who said he needed them as painkillers.

I'm quite prepared to consider the possibility he deceived her and intended to sell them.

There are a high proportion of under-educated, low achievers in Hull, highlighted by the fact a majority of its inhabitants voted to leave the EU. Being stupid is not in itself a crime.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583

My younger brother once smuggled some marijuana (the resin, whatever that's called, I've never been a regular smoker just made me feel sick) back from India or Sri Lanka in his shoe. He was stopped at the airport and the customs officer even joked about India and drugs and for a minute he thought he was going to get searched and then who knows, certainly his future career as a probation officer probably wouldn't have happened.

In perhaps the most absurd 'coals to Newcastle' error ever made, I once inadvertently imported about a quarter of hash into Morocco.

I had a 2cv can that I drove via Portsmouth/La Havre and Algeceras/Ceuta and on to Marrakech, Tafraout and the desert.

Those little vans had a hollow, spherical plastic gear knob that screwed apart around the 'equator'. It was where I kept things that were not for the attention of the authorities or the public. I quite forgot to empty it before the journey. It went undiscovered until I found it outside Rabat. But seriously... who would have thought to look?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Ballysmate wrote:

Does it matter so long as they have no intention of repeating the crime ?

Who knows how a drug smuggler determines thinks? HMG prisons are full of people who didn’t think they’d be caught.

The perception of risk diminishes the more you do an activity but what people tend to overlook is the increased likelihood of things not going to plan.

What no one has asked is how many more times has this woman smuggled drugs into Egypt undetected? Does it seem strange this has not been put forward as mitigation? No doubt records exist of how many Tramadol have been received by this individual in the past?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu