Laura Plummer and Tramadol

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm not sure why you think I'd be inclined to campaign for a longer sentence, Mamba.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I'm not sure why you think I'd be inclined to campaign for a longer sentence, Mamba.

Don't see why the length of sentence is anyone else's business than Egypt's.
  • Ben6899
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

And that we agree on.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Ben6899 wrote:

Oh you'd have to ask the lads at The Economist.
    In 2015, Tramadol in Egypt was selling at $3 a pill. So she was carrying $900 worth, or - by today's FX rate - £670. Egypt average household income is less than around $5000 or £3700.

https://www.economist.com/news/middle-e ... k-and-play

£25 probably refers to 3no. 100pill prescriptions at a touch over £8 each.

I don't buy my meds on the black market; I get them through the legit avenues.

I assumed you had first hand knowledge rather than just googling like I did.

I'd seen that Economist bit but also from the link I'd posted "“A strip [of tramadol] is like LE4 and you can sell it for LE20, so you make at least LE15 for one strip. He [his friend from the pharmacy] would bring me a box, so we would make a lot of money. You don’t sell just one pill, you sell a lot of them. I would make a few thousand pounds a month and, for Egypt, that’s good,” he explains."

20EGP/LE is about 8pence per pill.

It does also say prices peaked higher than that but I believe a strip is 10 tablets so that doesn't tally with the figures in the Economist.

Obviously what this stuff is worth is key because if it is worth significant money it opens up the possibility she may have been in it for profit.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    She probably wasn't. She probably genuinely thought it was for a "bad back" and didn't realise he was knocking them out on the black market.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • She probably wasn't. She probably genuinely thought it was for a "bad back" and didn't realise he was knocking them out on the black market.

Or he is getting medical supplies for terrorist organisations or other reasons the Egyptian Govt disapproves of.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Well if the sentence is a punishment - a retribution from society for her crime then no-ones business.

If it is a deterrent then it is everyones (I'll leave out the long list of exceptions) business.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:

Oh you'd have to ask the lads at The Economist.
    In 2015, Tramadol in Egypt was selling at $3 a pill. So she was carrying $900 worth, or - by today's FX rate - £670. Egypt average household income is less than around $5000 or £3700.

https://www.economist.com/news/middle-e ... k-and-play

£25 probably refers to 3no. 100pill prescriptions at a touch over £8 each.

I don't buy my meds on the black market; I get them through the legit avenues.

I assumed you had first hand knowledge rather than just googling like I did.

I'd seen that Economist bit but also from the link I'd posted "“A strip [of tramadol] is like LE4 and you can sell it for LE20, so you make at least LE15 for one strip. He [his friend from the pharmacy] would bring me a box, so we would make a lot of money. You don’t sell just one pill, you sell a lot of them. I would make a few thousand pounds a month and, for Egypt, that’s good,” he explains."

20EGP/LE is about 8pence per pill.

It does also say prices peaked higher than that but I believe a strip is 10 tablets so that doesn't tally with the figures in the Economist.

Obviously what this stuff is worth is key because if it is worth significant money it opens up the possibility she may have been in it for profit.

I'd suggest these lads weren't making as much as they should have been. You could earn that kind of money for it here (UK) and it's no even illegal here.

The Economist is a fairly trustworthy source.
    Ben

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Ben6899 wrote:

big LOL at the end of my p1ss take sentence should have alerted you to my mickey take...... appears i need to be more clear for you and bally :oops:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    She probably wasn't. She probably genuinely thought it was for a "bad back" and didn't realise he was knocking them out on the black market.

How do you know?

Shop assistant from ooop north on bugger all money, sees an easy way to make enough cash to cover her EasyJet flight to Egypt. Fails miserably as she’s a rubbish drug dealer, “husband” moves onto the next English girl.

You would know if your “husband” had a back bad enough to need Trammy. It would so so bleedin’ obvious even a rubbish drug dealer could tell. The fact he couldn’t move because his back hurt so much may be giveaway.

#apologist ahoy.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    shot to the back of the head is what she and other drug smugglers need
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Oooh you should make friends on here easily. :lol:
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939

Quite a statement that one!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

How do you know?

Shop assistant from ooop north on bugger all money, sees an easy way to make enough cash to cover her EasyJet flight to Egypt. Fails miserably as she’s a rubbish drug dealer, “husband” moves onto the next English girl.

You would know if your “husband” had a back bad enough to need Trammy. It would so so bleedin’ obvious even a rubbish drug dealer could tell. The fact he couldn’t move because his back hurt so much may be giveaway.

#apologist ahoy.

Apologist? You're having a giraffe. I'm firmly in the "do the crime, do the time" camp but your second paragraph is just as presumptive as my post. I'm much more inclined towards the "stupid/in love/manipulative "husband" " camp - I mean haven't you watched The Inbetweeners movie? I'm going with the Nicos situation. ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mamba80

How do you know?

#apologist ahoy.

Apologist? You're having a giraffe. I'm firmly in the "do the crime, do the time" camp but your second paragraph is just as presumptive as my post. I'm much more inclined towards the "stupid/in love/manipulative "husband" " camp - I mean haven't you watched The Inbetweeners movie? I'm going with the Nicos situation. ;)

agree, lets hope all those calling for the death penalty and have zero understanding, never have a wayward son/daughter
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    There’s not much information on the “husband” and his alledged bad back.

Not sure if that’s anything to do with his job as a lifeguard.......

Being thick isn’t a crime, but being caught doing something illegal is. Even in a foreign country.

Swap the nationality for an Easten European entering this country and think about the press coverage and Tory right’s rhetoric.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Let's hope if they do their wayward son/daughter can do the time for the crime. It's that simple if you believe in rule of law and therefore have to accept the sentencing guidelines at the time (you can try and change them after if you've hit a stake = your back citizen of the country involved). Anything else is just personal feelings and emotional response.

I mean the idea of bringing in the a poster's hypothetical wayward son / daughter is an emotional argument. Legal process and sentencing especially is surely better served leaving as much of this emotional baggage out of the equation?
  • Ben6899
    mamba80 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

big LOL at the end of my p1ss take sentence should have alerted you to my mickey take...... appears i need to be more clear for you and bally :oops:

It's difficult to tell with your posts. Notwithstanding any poxy emojis.
    Ben

• mamba80
    Let's hope if they do their wayward son/daughter can do the time for the crime. It's that simple if you believe in rule of law and therefore have to accept the sentencing guidelines at the time (you can try and change them after if you've hit a stake = your back citizen of the country involved). Anything else is just personal feelings and emotional response.

I mean the idea of bringing in the a poster's hypothetical wayward son / daughter is an emotional argument. Legal process and sentencing especially is surely better served leaving as much of this emotional baggage out of the equation?

i think you and others are confusing sympathy and some understanding with being soft on drugs or calling for her release etc.

VG saying she deserves to be shot in the back of the head, is extreme and i was merely pointing out that he would nt be suggesting that if his own kid fcuked up however badly.
  • Vino'sGhost
    mamba80 wrote:
    Let's hope if they do their wayward son/daughter can do the time for the crime. It's that simple if you believe in rule of law and therefore have to accept the sentencing guidelines at the time (you can try and change them after if you've hit a stake = your back citizen of the country involved). Anything else is just personal feelings and emotional response.

i think you and others are confusing sympathy and some understanding with being soft on drugs or calling for her release etc.

VG saying she deserves to be shot in the back of the head, is extreme and i was merely pointing out that he would nt be suggesting that if his own kid fcuked up however badly.

How on earth would you know what id suggest or think?
  • I'm saying that it is an emotional response to mention other people's kids being in that situation.

Cold, hard facts are that an offence was committed in Egypt that got dealt with according to their laws and procedures. Sympathy should have very little to do with it as should nationality. It is evidence based and procedural based. There will be guidelines for the judge to apply once guilt was proven resulting in a sentence of 3 years. I would not be surprised to find out that among similar convicted drug smugglers she got a sentence at the lenient end of what the sentencing guidelines allow for.

Yet still there are ppl sympathising with her to the degree that they say the sentence is too severe. I reckon that ignoring emotional arguments her sentence is too lenient according to Egyptian laws, sentencing guidelines and previous similar convictions (especially if you only take convictions of Egyptian nationals into account).

Crime, detection, trial, conviction, sentencing and completion of sentence. So far it is going according to the laws and procedures of Egypt. That is good IMHO.
  • Vino'sGhost
    I'm saying that it is an emotional response to mention other people's kids being in that situation.

Cold, hard facts are that an offence was committed in Egypt that got dealt with according to their laws and procedures. Sympathy should have very little to do with it as should nationality. It is evidence based and procedural based. There will be guidelines for the judge to apply once guilt was proven resulting in a sentence of 3 years. I would not be surprised to find out that among similar convicted drug smugglers she got a sentence at the lenient end of what the sentencing guidelines allow for.

Yet still there are ppl sympathising with her to the degree that they say the sentence is too severe. I reckon that ignoring emotional arguments her sentence is too lenient according to Egyptian laws, sentencing guidelines and previous similar convictions (especially if you only take convictions of Egyptian nationals into account).

Crime, detection, trial, conviction, sentencing and completion of sentence. So far it is going according to the laws and procedures of Egypt. That is good IMHO.

Quite agree
  • Matthewfalle
    I still can’t understand why people are making excuses for her and bemoaning the length or her sentence.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • My concern is given the amount of media interest is that she will profit from her crimes either directly or indirectly upon release; what should happen upon her release and her return to the UK is that she is re-arrested given the offences committed here - possession of a controlled drug (Class C) and intent to supply.

If she wasn't pictured in a bikini and all glammed up and wasn't involved in an unconventional relationship - drug smuggling for a man (I meant mans' mother as originally claimed) that she could fornicate with four times a year legally in an apartment then she would just be another drug smuggling mule.

Every sympathy for her family supporting her through this tough time, but Tramadol has a street value of up to £10 per tab on the street in Egypt, well done to the Egyptian authorities for stopping her!
  • eulittleb wrote:

Every sympathy for her family supporting her through this tough time, but Tramadol has a street value of up to £10 per tab on the street in Egypt, well done to the Egyptian authorities for stopping her!

http://www.drugwise.org.uk/how-much-do-drugs-cost/

According to this, for £10 you can get a wrap of heroin, a rock of crack cocaine or a couple of ecstasy tabs. I guess they should be legal and just a slap on the wrist for smuggling them .
  • Matthewfalle
    eulittleb wrote:
    well done to the Egyptian authorities for stopping her!

Agree 100% - another drug smuggler off the streets doing time for the crime.

Admittedly she is probably the worst drug smuggler ever but still, trying to smuggle illegal drugs nonetheless.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle, hmmmm I suspect this wasn't the first time she had done it for sure and the Egyptians had noted her four times a year visits...... and for good reason! Smuggling 290 illegally sourced drugs - and illegal in that quantity anyway with intent to supply - and not trying to conceal them was one thing but I believe this was purposeful to give an air of innocence, then claiming they were for the mother of her "Husband" whatshisface's name, but she didn't know where he lived and a taxi driver picked her up and took her there was incredibly stupid. She flew into a regional airport when Cairo was nearer her destination apparently assuming security would be lax. It's old news now, bring the next drug smuggling mule on. When she is released she should not profit either directly nor indirectly for her Crime and neither should her family.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    She has been freed and her book will be out later - next month. Tabloid press are bidding for serialisation.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Ben6899
    That would be fairly typical of modern day Britain, making a celebrity out of a caught drug smuggler.
    Ben

• mamba80
    So far it is going according to the laws and procedures of Egypt. That is good IMHO LOL!!!

thought UK newspapers code of conduct bared them paying people with a conviction?
    "we must not pay witnesses prior to court cases or criminals who are trying to benefit from their crimes" phew but dont let the facts get in the way of outrage.

tbh who really cares and why should we? look at our own justice system and Worboys before getting all worked up about a few Tramadol.