Will Froome ride the Giro?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    So Gazzetta, who share ownership with Giro, are reporting that both Froome and Dumoulin for the Giro. Also repeat the rumour of Sky getting 2m euros appearance fee.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Have to be honest, it did cross my mind as soon as he netted la Vuelta, whether he would try the Giro to be able to hold all 3 simultaneously - these chances potentially only come around once in a lifetime (And he is not getting any yonuger to use an overused cliche), but I appreciate what people are saying about that jeopardising the TDF defence, especially if he were to have a fall\injury.

That would be amazing to see Froome V Dumoulin though.

Hoping Dumoulin will also have a go at the TDF or Vuleta too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Daniel B wrote:
    Have to be honest, it did cross my mind as soon as he netted la Vuelta, whether he would try the Giro to be able to hold all 3 simultaneously - these chances potentially only come around once in a lifetime (And he is not getting any yonuger to use an overused cliche), but I appreciate what people are saying about that jeopardising the TDF defence, especially if he were to have a fall\injury.

That would be amazing to see Froome V Dumoulin though.

Hoping Dumoulin will also have a go at the TDF or Vuleta too.

If dumoulin shows up it'll be good to see Froome need to take time uphill for once. I suspect a few would be giro contenders will now be rethinking their 2018 schedules though.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I am I the only one who thinks that Dumoulin's chances against Froome are just a bit overrated?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I think this is a bad idea for Froome,although respect for having a go. Will be interesting to see how the other contenders plan their years now. Uran, Bardet, Quintana likely to be all in for le Tour (and Martin, Yates, Porte). Aru, Landa and Dumoulin probables for Giro. Nibali? On past experience, I suspect he might suddenly like the look of le Tour and the Vuelta!

Also, how are the Sky super-doms going to like only having one GT to have a go at leading? Thomas, Poels, potentially Kwiatkowski must all have been fancying a crack at Giro or Vuelta. Bet Landa's glad he got the hell out of there!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    I am I the only one who thinks that Dumoulin's chances against Froome are just a bit overrated?

Nope.
  • RichN95.
    edited November 2017
    I am I the only one who thinks that Dumoulin's chances against Froome are just a bit overrated?
    No. And I think there are better riders coming up behind Dumoulin. It's mostly that Froome can't rely on TT dominance with him.

However, at this moment Dumoulin is still on the rise, while Froome has at best plateaued, so who knows.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

Nope.

Landa probably more of a concern. No way Froome will be able to go in there undercooked (like Quintana?) if he wants to win it.
  • RichN95.
    BigMat wrote:
    I think this is a bad idea for Froome,although respect for having a go. Will be interesting to see how the other contenders plan their years now. Uran, Bardet, Quintana likely to be all in for le Tour (and Martin, Yates, Porte). Aru, Landa and Dumoulin probables for Giro. Nibali? On past experience, I suspect he might suddenly like the look of le Tour and the Vuelta!

Also, how are the Sky super-doms going to like only having one GT to have a go at leading? Thomas, Poels, potentially Kwiatkowski must all have been fancying a crack at Giro or Vuelta. Bet Landa's glad he got the hell out of there!
    I think either Thomas or Poels may be kept as a proper Plan B for the Tour.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Landa is not a concern either.

The main concern for Chris is himself; crashes, illness, failure to time his form right.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    thegibdog wrote:
    Froome riding the Giro would be good for the Giro, good for Froome and good for the Sport.

Yes, No if it means he doesn't get the 5th Tour, Probably.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    RichN95 wrote:
    So Gazzetta, who share ownership with Giro, are reporting that both Froome and Dumoulin for the Giro. Also repeat the rumour of Sky getting 2m euros appearance fee.
    Id rather he decided to enter for the prestige of having all three GTs on his palmares than cash. Guess cash is still king
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    RichN95 wrote:
    No. And I think there are better riders coming up behind Dumoulin. It's mostly that Froome can't rely on TT dominance with him.

However, at this moment Dumoulin is still on the rise, while Froome has at best plateaued, so who knows.
    Yeah, he won the TdF and Vuelta, he's plateaued.

I wouldn't mind plateauing at that kinda level! :mrgreen:
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Bo Duke

The main concern for Chris is himself; crashes, illness, failure to time his form right.
    Good point, there's a far greater chance of illness in the Giro than the other GT's.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Bo Duke wrote:

Good point, there's a far greater chance of illness in the Giro than the other GT's.

I seem to recall several teams being decimated through sickness at the Vuelta a decade or so ago.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    RichN95 wrote:

If Froome has plateaued, it's a pretty bloody high plateau isn't it (Tour/Vuelta double)
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

If Froome has plateaued, it's a pretty bloody high plateau isn't it (Tour/Vuelta double)
    Of course. But he's 32. I'm doubt he's going to improve.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

Nope. Barring illness or mishap, I would be shocked if Doumoulin can beat Froome in a straight up race.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    True, but he does seem to have the best shot at beating Froome.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    In the Giro Nibali and Quintana seemed to make the classic mistake of looking at each other and forgetting to dispatch the rest of the opposition. I think if only one had been there with a decent team Dumoulin would have struggled more.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    OK, assuming he does ride the Giro, it will be very interesting to see what happens.
    Presumably he's going to have to go in fairly undercooked and ride into form if he wants to be able to ride the Tour (which he's never going to miss). So what happens if he has a bad day in the mountains? Does he carry on fighting, or does he ease off and ride the rest of it for training?

With 8 (I think) MTFs the biggest threat to him is someone who can take a sizeable chunk of time out of him on a bad mountain day. Dumoulin can climb OK, but I don't see him going on the attack and putting Froome to the sword if he has trouble following. At the same time I'd expect to see even an undercooked Froome take some seconds and bonuses over Dumoulin that should be enough to make the TT safe, unless they drastically increase it.

Worst nightmare for him is a decent climber taking time but Dumoulin being able to follow.

I guess we should get a better idea when riders start to commit to riding it, starting tomorrow.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    M.R.M. wrote:
    True, but he does seem to have the best shot at beating Froome.

What's he like on the super steep stuff, there is supposed to be a Zoncolan finish and 8 summit finishes in all. I'm trying to think back to last year, he must have climbed well to win it but there is still that feeling that he will lose time to better climbers.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

I can't think of one occasion where Froome has timed his form badly. He's had his moments a couple of times in the final week of the Tour, but that were due to hunger knock/illness.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    I'm not completely convinced Froome has plateaued in the way some people make out. For the last few years he's clearly been trying to do the Tour - Vuelta so we haven't seen him go all in for a couple of years. If he decided to focus 100% on a single GT then I think he'd definitely look better than in the last few he's done.

Having said that I'm glad he's doing the Giro, to hold all 3 simultaneously would be amazing and, for me, even if he then followed this up with another tour I'd consider that to be the icing on the cake rather than the cake itself.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke wrote:

I seem to recall several teams being decimated through sickness at the Vuelta a decade or so ago.
    I'm thinking due to the cold weather more than a dodgy paella. :mrgreen:
  • Could be interesting: teams trying to put the hurt on Froome at the Giro in order to reap the reward at the Tour. But, with my sensible head on, who could do that? Realistically only really Movistar have the talent in numbers, but then Movistar don't really work as a team except maybe a team with an American and a Badger riding 'together'. Plus of course Sky's depth of talent means they could rock up at the Tour and field two very strong teams, so fielding a potential winning team at either grand tour wouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination. With Froome riding to a power meter for most of the climb, then illness, crashes and weather are possibly the biggest concern
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    What would putting the hurt on Froome in the Giro look like that would be different to just trying to win the Giro?

I think it's more likely GC contenders will think they may as well go all in for the Tour as they'll have to beat Froome anyway, we may see a weaker Giro field than normal and a slightly easier race, Nibali, Quintana et al may see the Tour as the chance to beat a tired Froome.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    Is it the Giro route announcement today?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Is it the Giro route announcement today?

Presentation begins at 4.00pm today GMT. Which means we'll probably find out the route at 7.00pm...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • The Giro route presentation is live on tv as I type, but here are the profiles.

http://www.cicloweb.it/2017/11/29/antep ... giro-2018/