• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Her favourite race, innit ;).

Quite so
    and SKY/ Froome would ruin it?

RR2 is not a fan of our Christopher :D

He won't do it. It's a romantic idea, but Sky don't do romance and Froome won't compromise his efforts for Tour number 5. If he wins the Tour next year then I think he'll go for the Giro/Tour double in 2019.

Will he skip the Vuelta in 2018?

I'd have thought he's more likely to do Tour '18, Vuelta '18 then Giro '19.
    If Giro '19 goes tits up he can switch to the Tour.

There must coming a tipping point where in a Giro to complete the set (possibly holding all at the same time) > another Tour.

Worth noting that Froome will be 33 for Tour '18 - Evans was considered old at 34 when he won in 2011.

He still won though, I think it will depend on 2019 parcours if Froome can win it again, the ravages of time wait for no man....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    Well, if the telesport is right, that's Chris going for the GT Triple crown in the same year....:shock:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    inseine wrote:
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Sincerely hope not.

What Lookyhere says
    Go on, I'll bite. Why not ?!

I'd be happy for him to do the Giro if it meant the Tour GC was more open.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    He's retweeted something of the Giro's Twitter account today, so he's either trolling or doing it.

Mind, he's been arsing about in Florida very recently. Id have thought he'd have been 'on it' by now if he was racing so early in '18?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Joelsim wrote:
    I imagine there’s a bigger chance of Froome riding the Grand National than there is of him riding the Giro.

5 Tours.

might be time to saddle up ;)
  • rick_chasey
    CarbonClem wrote:
    He's retweeted something of the Giro's Twitter account today, so he's either trolling or doing it.

Mind, he's been arsing about in Florida very recently. Id have thought he'd have been 'on it' by now if he was racing so early in '18?

What, in May?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'll be amazed if he rides the Giro next year. And RR2 will be distraught.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • CarbonClem wrote:

FroomeFront.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Bo Duke wrote:
    A slightly different question... will he do 2 GT's in 2018? Will be defend the Vuelta?

Would be disappointing if he only rode one.
    Well he's already implied he will do the Tour of Britain next year, so potentially he will only do the Tour.
  • carbonclem
    CarbonClem wrote:

What, in May?

That when the Giro is, isn't it? Being at peak a couple of months earlier than normal for him, you'd think he'd be doing more than standing about eating cheeseburgers, no?
  • rick_chasey
    CarbonClem wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:

What, in May?

That when the Giro is, isn't it? Being at peak a couple of months earlier than normal for him, you'd think he'd be doing more than standing about eating cheeseburgers, no?

The normal bike season is only 7 months long.

may is 6 months away!

He's got plenty of time.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    And who's to say he hasn't been training a bit in Florida
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    From a fan's point of view it would be great to see.

Just can't see it happening though. 5 Tours is cycling immortality.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    Maybe Froome has insider knowledge that he is already 5 times TdF winner and he is going for Giro :)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Well, if the telesport is right, that's Chris going for the GT Triple crown in the same year....:shock:

Let's hope so, if he does ride the Giro then all 3 in a year has to be the plan. I think it can be done.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'll say no. But there are two factors this year which may tempt him.

1. It's probably the only chance he'll have to win all three Grand Tours back to back

2. There is an extra week between the Giro and Tour which may be make doing both more viable (or it equally it may make it harder, I don’t know)

There's another factor which might tempt him, reports of a €2 million race fee.

Someone else pointed out the weather issue, though the Giro starts in Israel and then proceeds South to North, which should minimise the impact of possible crappy cold conditions.

My gut feeling is that it's overreach, but that he'll go for it. If he wins then it puts him alongside Merckx and Hinault as the only riders to take three consecutive GTs (obv before Vuelta was moved), and adds the possible bonus of a fifth tour and four in a row (Merckx only).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    EnacheV wrote:
    Maybe Froome has insider knowledge that he is already 5 times TdF winner and he is going for Giro :)

Oi! You be careful now :wink:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • inseine
    It's a massive leap, but if he won all 3 he would skip over Coppi and Indurain and be level with Anquetil in third place of all time Grand Tour winners. Plus 5 Tours in a row!! All time legend status, that has to be applealing :)
    Mind you Contador talked of doing all three (or was that just Tinkov?)
  • timoid.
    Cycling Weekly now picking up on the Giro rumours

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... 018-360602

Although the article states "Chris Froome will race the Giro d’Italia in 2018, sources have said, and try to be the first man to win all three Grand Tours consecutively"

So not sure how much we can trust the reporting.

Didn't Merckx do this in 1972/3 (I think he won 4 consecutive) and Hinault in 82/83?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    EnacheV wrote:

Call me slow but I don't geddit.
  • RichN95.
    Timoid. wrote:
    EnacheV wrote:

He's suggesting that he could inherit the 2012 Tour from Wiggins.
  • RichN95.
    inseine wrote:
    It's a massive leap, but if he won all 3 he would skip over Coppi and Indurain and be level with Anquetil in third place of all time Grand Tour winners. Plus 5 Tours in a row!! All time legend status, that has to be applealing :)
    Mind you Contador talked of doing all three (or was that just Tinkov?)
    If anyone managed to do that it would rank as one of the greatest achievements in all sport.
  • timoid.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    EnacheV wrote:

He's suggesting that he could inherit the 2012 Tour from Wiggins.

Ok. I am slow.
  • inseine
    Timoid. wrote:
    Cycling Weekly now picking up on the Giro rumours

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... 018-360602

Although the article states "Chris Froome will race the Giro d’Italia in 2018, sources have said, and try to be the first man to win all three Grand Tours consecutively"

So not sure how much we can trust the reporting.

Didn't Merckx do this in 1972/3 (I think he won 4 consecutive) and Hinault in 82/83?

I guess they mean three in the same year, which was impossible in Merckx's era, though him and Hinault won three consecutively
  • rick_chasey
    Would be pretty hardcore being the reigning winner of all 3 GTs.

I mean, phwoar.

But you gotsta go for 5 Tours first surely?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
  • carbonclem
    I guess if he won the Giro and then took his fifth Tour then he just ‘might’ finally win SPOTY? :lol:
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    I'd rate current holder of all three much higher than 0-5-1 or 1-4-1 but he probably doesn't have any ****s to give about what I think to be fair.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Froome riding the Giro would be good for the Giro, good for Froome and good for the Sport.
  • RichN95.
    jam1e wrote:
    I'd rate current holder of all three much higher than 0-5-1 or 1-4-1 but he probably doesn't have any ****s to give about what I think to be fair.
    If he's doing the Giro it will be with the aim of trying to win both that and the Tour, so potentially 1-5-1. It's not a case of one or the other. And no victories are guaranteed.

If a Giro/Tour double is to be attempted, next year is the year to do it. And I don't think Froome will want to retire without giving it a go.