JiffyGate....No Charges!!

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I image they're scraping the bottom of the Wiggins barrel (doping at a 90s Six would hardly be news). Next it will be an investigation into the kids races at Herne Hill.
    Those little sods are so well coached, it's criminal. Being bullied on the banking by a 12 year old who doesn't care if he crashes and misses school the next day is quite something to experience.
    Mmm... mention of Herne Hill, Hayles...suspicious performances... it’s all slipping into place.
    I forget which year it was, but in the Roadman’s Pursuit one Good Friday meet (10km, with riders starting from standstill at evenly spaced points around the track). Graeme Obree took forever to get his ridiculous gear going on Old Faithful and was nearly disqualified by Hayles who drew level, but couldn’t get around him- Obree then went on to crush everyone.
    I’d really like some ambitious nerk, writing for a sh!tty organ, to diminish my memories further by drumming up some inflammatory twaddle about that episode.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:
    The couriering isn't at all suspect to me. Teams do this all the time with all sorts of things.

Agreed

It's just being wilfully gullible however to believe that you can open the cupboard at British Cycling where the medicines are kept, take out whatever you want and there's no record kept.

LOL.
    May have to retract this.
    UKAD investigation reveals this was exactly the case at British Cycling.

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/951895383592054784
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    RichN95 wrote:
    The couriering isn't at all suspect to me. Teams do this all the time with all sorts of things.

Agreed

It's just being wilfully gullible however to believe that you can open the cupboard at British Cycling where the medicines are kept, take out whatever you want and there's no record kept.

LOL.
    May have to retract this.
    UKAD investigation reveals this was exactly the case at British Cycling.

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/951895383592054784

Almost unbelievable :)
  • FFS why we dragging this shite back up again? Let it go.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC Posts: 172
    Testosterone patches were delivered seven years ago to the velodrome which remains the HQ of both the national governing body and Team Sky.

Sportsmail understands a General Medical Council investigation into Dr Richard Freeman, the former Team Sky and British Cycling doctor, has obtained evidence that suggests testosterone patches were ordered.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... ky-HQ.html
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    CuthbertC wrote:
    Testosterone patches were delivered seven years ago to the velodrome which remains the HQ of both the national governing body and Team Sky.

Sportsmail understands a General Medical Council investigation into Dr Richard Freeman, the former Team Sky and British Cycling doctor, has obtained evidence that suggests testosterone patches were ordered.

Err, this was news back in March of last year.
    Nicole Sapstead told everybody except Matt Lawson, apparently. :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • CuthbertC
    No one has previously claimed that there is evidence that an order for testosterone patches was made from the National Cycling Centre. Freeman and Peters have claimed that it was delivered by mistake, they never said that someone from the National Cycling Centre made the order.
  • blazing_saddles
    CuthbertC wrote:
    No one has previously claimed that there is evidence that an order for testosterone patches was made from the National Cycling Centre. Freeman and Peters have claimed that it was delivered by mistake, they never said that someone from the National Cycling Centre made the order.

Doesn't claim, suggests.
    A word not uncommon to this saga.
    I suggest time will tell.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Who knows, if they are found to have lied though it's not going to look good. Are there any legitimate explanations for an order of testosterone patches, is there another bus they can throw Freeman under again?

The bit that makes me laugh is that they are so keen to say Brailsford didn't know anything about it, really? They didn't even mention in passing that a load of banned peds had been delivered for Freeman, even to have a laugh about it and what some people would make of it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC wrote:

Doesn't claim, suggests.

No, the Daily Mail has claimed that there is evidence. That is not a suggestion.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    CuthbertC wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:

Doesn't claim, suggests.

No, the Daily Mail has claimed that there is evidence. That is not a suggestion.

I suggest that a box of testosterone patches being delivered is evidence that suggests that a box of testosterone patches was ordered. It doesn't prove it though, as they could have been delivered in error. I suggest there's nothing new here.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    They were SurDave's so he could maintain his Bond-villain pate.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    CuthbertC wrote:

Err, this was news back in March of last year.
    Nicole Sapstead told everybody except Matt Lawson, apparently. :lol:

The odious Matt Lawton clearly appears to have an agenda to try and chuck dirt at anything with a link to his paper's rival publisher. Like you say, this is old news and he reports nothing new. He's a second rate hack at best. Maybe he should delve a little more into the drug cheats in other sports for a more sensational story.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    If there is evidence someone at BC or Sky ordered them then there is most definitely something new here.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    If there is evidence someone at BC or Sky ordered them then there is most definitely something new here.

Agreed, the correct response will be to investigate whether it is real or fake, and if real, who ordered it, and who knew about the order.

Sky should not be defensive.
  • CuthbertC
    BigMat wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:

Doesn't claim, suggests.

I suggest that a box of testosterone patches being delivered is evidence that suggests that a box of testosterone patches was ordered. It doesn't prove it though, as they could have been delivered in error. I suggest there's nothing new here.

Then there should be an article/source that has already made the same claim in the past. Please provide a link if you can.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2018

That's the question and unless one's automatic default setting is to believe everything that is written about Sky is true, it's a big if.
    it emerged that investigators may have found evidence that an order for a banned substance
    That sensational allegation was made during what is an ongoing GMC investigation into Freeman

Now, one may choose to ignore the obviously guarded language used, believe there is a GMC source. and go with the sensationalist headlines and subsequent allegation being fact.
    But just who exactly is making these allegations?

Now compare and contrast with this, from Cyclingnews, one month ago.
    La Gazzetta dello Sport writes that their trusted source believes that Froome’s case is approaching an important crossroads, with the case having left the UCI's Legal Anti-Doping Services (LADS) department and about to be picked up by the UCI's Anti-Doping Tribunal, which handles disciplinary proceedings and renders decisions concerning anti-doping rules violations.

Fast forward a few days and:
    Chris Froome's salbutamol case is reportedly set to be heard by the UCI Anti-Doping Tribunal, with Italian sports newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport suggesting that "from the end of this week or the start of next week, every day could be good for the start of opening of a procedure under the Tribunal."

We also had previously had this:
    However, the Corriere della Sera newspaper reports that Froome "has understood he has lost the war and is ready to sign an honourable armistice".

The Italian newspaper claims that Froome has little chance of convincing the UCI Legal Anti-Doping Services (LADS) that he reached a level of 2000ng/ml of salbutamol in his urine – twice the limit – through permitted dosages using his asthma inhaler.

Corriere della Sera also suggests the idea that Froome’s kidneys could have somehow retained a quantity of salbutamol and skewed his sample has only irritated the UCI and a number of cycling doctors...

In time, these "claims" and "suggestions" have either remained unfulfilled or proven false.
    So again, I prefer to wait and see.
    As whether there is any substance :P to Lawton's allegations, the ball does seem to be in the GMC's court.
    Although I am not sure how keen to expose any findings to the court of public opinion.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    It was all widely reported around March last year. In a check, Freeman reported the patches had been delivered by mistake and was told to repack and return them, get confirmation that the return order had been received in full and obtain confirmation that the delivery had been sent by mistake. Matt Lawton's muck raking is all to do with BC and Sky not releasing the confirmation email for public view despite FoI requests. Personally, I wouldn't give Matt Lawton the steam off of my piss.

In all of this saga, who is the one person with the past links to doping and responsibility for ordering medications? Could it be the person who reported the patches had been received in error and subsequently returned them? The story here is Freeman and not BC or Sky as some would like to make out. Every business/employer has its rogue operators.

From the Guardian 5th March 2017.
    Freeman has, apparently, told Ukad it was not destined for any riders.

Dr Steve Peters, who was head of medical at British Cycling and Team Sky, told the Sunday Times he and a British Cycling colleague were on site when the package arrived and that they questioned Freeman over it. It was established that the supplier had sent it by mistake and it was returned, something which he had confirmed with Freeman. Peters was, he said, satisfied that it was “an administrative error”.

Sir Dave Brailsford, Team Sky’s principal, was contacted by the Guardian but did not respond while Team Sky added on Sunday that they had not been aware of the episode and that it did not relate to them, being a British Cycling matter.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • blazing_saddles
    CuthbertC wrote:

Then there should be an article/source that has already made the same claim in the past. Please provide a link if you can.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... hes-doping

Apologies that this source has already been quoted, but I've added the link.

In fairness they do use the same non-committal words as Lawton in the DM, but hey whats good for the goose 'n all that.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    So supposedly this is how you run a doping program.

Order PEDs from a legitimate seller with a paper trail
    Have them sent to team headquarters
    When they arrive have them sent straight back

Really?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC wrote:

In fairness they do use the same non-committal words as Lawton in the DM, but hey whats good for the goose 'n all that.

For the last time, where in the article does anyone claim that there is evidence that an order for testosterone patches originated from the National Cycling Centre?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    RichN95 wrote:

Really?

Yeah, doesn't really make a lot of sense. If true, they're extremely stupid, which doesn't really tie in with the portrayal of Sky as evil villains.
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Really?

Yeah, doesn't really make a lot of sense. If true, they're extremely stupid, which doesn't really tie in with the portrayal of Sky as evil villains.
    It's as if in episode 1 of The Wire McNulty finds a big stash of heroin being delivered to Stringer Bell's house by Fed Ex having bought it from Amazon.
  • RichN95.
    CuthbertC wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:

For the last time, where in the article does anyone claim that there is evidence that an order for testosterone patches originated from the National Cycling Centre?
    The evidence is that the stuff turned up there. Don't confuse evidence with proof.
  • blazing_saddles
    CuthbertC wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:

So, you agree that this makes Lawton's claim that they were ordered, uncorroborated.
    In fact, he is the one making the allegations.
    Btw: How did Il Corriere’s scoop on Froome plea bargaining work out for you, afterwards?
    I believe you described their uncorroborated claims as being self-evident "fact".
  • CuthbertC
    RichN95 wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:

The evidence is that the stuff turned up there. Don't confuse evidence with proof.

Freeman and Peters have claimed that the 'stuff turned up there' because the package was delivered in error, which completely contradicts the claims made in the latest Daily Mail article:
    The doctor’s explanation, according to a former head of medicine at British Cycling quoted by the Sunday Times – and corroborated to the Guardian by a source close to British Cycling and Sky with knowledge of the story – was that the package had been delivered in error.
    Dr Steve Peters, who was head of medical at British Cycling and Team Sky, told the Sunday Times he and a British Cycling colleague were on site when the package arrived and that they questioned Freeman over it. It was established that the supplier had sent it by mistake and it was returned, something which he had confirmed with Freeman. Peters was, he said, satisfied that it was “an administrative error”.
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:

So, you agree that this makes Lawton's claim that they were ordered, uncorroborated.
    In fact, he is the one making the allegations.
    Btw: How did Il Corriere’s scoop on Froome plea bargaining work out for you, afterwards?
    I believe you described their uncorroborated claims as being self-evident "fact".

You didn't answer the question, no surprise there.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    CuthbertC wrote:

That is not the same claim as today's.
  • blazing_saddles
    CuthbertC wrote:
    You didn't answer the question, no surprise there.

Then, as you appear to have missed it, I'll answer again.
    No one else has claimed they were order.
    Thus making Lawson's allegations uncorroborated.
    Kinda my point.

Now your turn to answer.
    What did Il Corriere’s self-evident, uncorroborated "fact" turn out to be?