Anyone planning a ski or snowboard trip this winter?

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

davidof said:

Be aware if you come to France that Covid is completely out of control here. Half a million cases recorded yesterday with 30,000 people in hospital.

Don't get sick if you do come, or have a ski accident.

4000ish/100k seems to be the topping-out figure, and although Haute-Savoie is still up there, I see that Isère has overtaken it, and Drôme is catching up.

The stats are just bizarre - roughly 400,000 cases a day for what feels like weeks now with what appears to be a uniform rate of infection across the entire country makes no real sense to me. Both here and South Africa saw with Omicron a rapid rise in infection numbers and then after a week or so running at those high numbers a fairly sharp decline, whereas France is holding at those high rates. Surely after a week or two of 2.5 - 3 million infections you’d expect rates to reduce.
    I havent followed it much but the argument was proposed that they are dealing with Delta and Omnicron variants at the moment which may explain the longer lasting infection wave.

Regardless they are moving forward with the easing of restrictions in a few weeks (albeit with a significant tightening of turning the health pass into a vaccine pass...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    I have just bought some new bindings for the skinny skis so it's about to snow like a mo fo in the Western Alps.

You're Welcome!
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,509
    Well, I've just booked my pre-flight antigen test, so am expecting France to drop the requirement any time now.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,528
    Booked to go to Tignes at the end of February... Might be avoiding the office in the run up.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Jezyboy said:

Booked to go to Tignes at the end of February... Might be avoiding the office in the run up.

I’m doing exactly that this week - fly to GVA on Friday
  • ddraver
    Mr raver, your skis will be ready Monday Morning...

Monday Morning -

🤣🤣🤣🤣

(Can't really complain I guess)
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian
    ddraver said:

I have just bought some new bindings for the skinny skis so it's about to snow like a mo fo in the Western Alps.

You're Welcome!

Good lad - your investment in ensuring good ski conditions for me is recognised and appreciated!!!!!
  • ddraver
    edited February 2022
    For the love of god guys, go to Austria. They're getting a metre this week over there. We're stuck on 15cms.

People are so glum they're not even making the "my girlfriend says 15cms is plenty" type jokes... :(
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian
    edited February 2022
    ddraver said:

For the love of god guys, go to Austria. They're getting a metre this week over there. We're stuck on 15cms.

People are so glum they're not even making the "my girlfriend says 15cms is plenty" type jokes... :(

Snow is coming your way.......not a metre though.

Too late for me to change my plans, sadly.
  • kingstonian
    The link that briantrumpet shared shows Covid rates down a little over 20% week on week in Haute Savoie. Hopefully that’s the peak well and truly over.
  • briantrumpet

The link that briantrumpet shared shows Covid rates down a little over 20% week on week in Haute Savoie. Hopefully that’s the peak well and truly over.

Yeah, looks like about 4.5k is the max peak - can't sustain that rate for very long, I guess.
  • ddraver
    edited February 2022
    Folie Douce in Les Arcs has been closed for the week for taking a lackadaisical approach to COVID rules... 🙈

(Locals are rather unconcerned...)
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian
    Finally done all the paperwork and Covid tests for me and my sons to get into Switzerland and then France Tomorrow evening. Can’t wait to get over there now.
  • briantrumpet

Finally done all the paperwork and Covid tests for me and my sons to get into Switzerland and then France Tomorrow evening. Can’t wait to get over there now.

Good luck!
  • ddraver
    it might be too late but I think you'll be fine. Switzerland have taken a YOLO approach now too so as long as you've made a solid effort...
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,094
    Colleague fell off his bike yesterday and broke his shoulder. Went to Grenoble hospital (CHU) which was full of Covid sufferers and he was sent home with dolipran and told to come back in 10 days to have it pinned.

A couple of people went to see him a lunch and he was in agony, sitting on sofa watching day time tv. They asked if they could make him lunch (he can't do anything much) but he was not in the mood really for eating or talking. He'll probably starve to death before his gets operated.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • ddraver
    He's back to make you feel completely useless...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-mZTR1glq4&ab_channel=CandideThovex
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    davidof said:

Colleague fell off his bike yesterday and broke his shoulder. Went to Grenoble hospital (CHU) which was full of Covid sufferers and he was sent home with dolipran and told to come back in 10 days to have it pinned.

A couple of people went to see him a lunch and he was in agony, sitting on sofa watching day time tv. They asked if they could make him lunch (he can't do anything much) but he was not in the mood really for eating or talking. He'll probably starve to death before his gets operated.

The 'Tension hospitalière' certainly isn't good - Haute Savoie, for instance, at 124%. I'll have to try not to fall off my bike, assuming I get to the Drôme in a couple of weeks time.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,514
    ddraver said:

No one likes a pretty set of tracks any more? A double back flip whilst gapping a house is all well and good, but it needs some pretty tracks.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,382

ddraver said:

No one likes a pretty set of tracks any more? A double back flip whilst gapping a house is all well and good, but it needs some pretty tracks.

Don't worry, he won't make it to 50, or 40, or 35.......
    He won't be popular with the bumps skiers either!
  • kingstonian

Just looked again - around 10 days ago Haute Savoie was at 4200, now 2900. Believe that’s number of cases over 7 days per 100,000 of population.
  • TheBigBean

ddraver said:

He's already 39!
  • kingstonian

ddraver said:

Well he’s made it to 39, turns 40 in May.
  • briantrumpet

Just looked again - around 10 days ago Haute Savoie was at 4200, now 2900. Believe that’s number of cases over 7 days per 100,000 of population.

Yeah, as I said, looks like c.4500 is the ceiling from which it retreats rapidly. Haute Garonne is there, but with only 90% 'tension hospitalière' (which I suspect is going to ramp up dramatically), while the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence are 'only' 3000 but 167% tension hospitalière.

I'll be stuck on a TGV for two hours or so in a fortnight, so wouldn't mind the rate dropping quite a bit before then.
  • ddraver
    I wish I could ski bumps like the guys on the telly... 😥
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

I wish I could ski bumps like the guys on the telly... 😥

I can't imagine a situation where I would be fit enough to even consider it. At my peak, I'd manage about 10 and want to collapse.
  • Jezyboy
    If it makes you feel better I would turn round the bottom of the first and either find myself slowing to a stop as I skied up the next one, or just flat on my side.
  • TheBigBean
    Jezyboy said:

If it makes you feel better I would turn round the bottom of the first and either find myself slowing to a stop as I skied up the next one, or just flat on my side.

Top tip. Turn on the bumps, not round them.
  • Jezyboy

Jezyboy said:

I have tried, but can't get the timing. Tbh I think they show the (large) holes in my technical ability...which is basically limited to carving down reds (when empty). Could probably do with some (more) lessons at some point to refresh everything. Would love to be confident in powder.
  • TheBigBean
    Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

I have tried, but can't get the timing. Tbh I think they show the (large) holes in my technical ability...which is basically limited to carving down reds (when empty). Could probably do with some (more) lessons at some point to refresh everything. Would love to be confident in powder.
    Top tip #2. You don't need to turn on every bump. You can ride over a few until you are settled and ready to turn on one.

Also, your timing on the top doesn't need to immaculate, but it's a lot easy to turn on the top of bumps, so it is something you should always do whether or not there are loads of them.

I was lucky that someone taught me both of these things, so I started to really like skiing the bumps.