Anyone planning a ski or snowboard trip this winter?

1789101113»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFwB6puH/

That lump opposite plus a set of skins looks like a grand day out...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Apparently they are now flying in snow by helicopter in some Swiss resorts.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,525
    I've booked for Le Plagne in March.

Hopefully the snow will have a few more top ups between now and then, but it looks like being high, it's mostly open anyway.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,376
    Jezyboy said:

Hopefully the snow will have a few more top ups between now and then, but it looks like being high, it's mostly open anyway.

You'll be fine.
    Hope you like flat blues though!
    Fabulous conditions in the Tarantaise resorts right now!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,479
    Decent snow dump last night, even down at 1400m, and it's going to be very cold for at least a week. Looks like winter has arrived. Let's hope it sticks around for you skiers.

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,093

Decent snow dump last night

10cm
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383
    Sunday I get the train To Dobbiaco for XC skiing.
    So excited.
  • briantrumpet
    davidof said:

10cm

Thought it might be more up where you are.
  • Jezyboy

Jezyboy said:

You'll be fine.
    Hope you like flat blues though!
    Fabulous conditions in the Tarantaise resorts right now!
    I think that's slightly unfair on the resort! Although I seem to remember much of the steep stuff is left unpisted, which isn't that great for an intermediate at my level...
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,093

davidof said:

10cm

My work colleagues say big snow delayed until Tuesday. Always jam tomorrow it seems. We'll see if Font d'Urle can get any runs open as the fresh snow is on grass and gravel. They had fantastic conditions early December. Conditions a few km away in the Hautes-Alpes are great but the NW alpes, particuarly the Vercors, are terrible this winter.
    Still been nice for winter cycling, if you like that kind of thing.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • briantrumpet
    davidof said:

davidof said:

10cm

My work colleagues say big snow delayed until Tuesday. Always jam tomorrow it seems. We'll see if Font d'Urle can get any runs open as the fresh snow is on grass and gravel. They had fantastic conditions early December. Conditions a few km away in the Hautes-Alpes are great but the NW alpes, particuarly the Vercors, are terrible this winter.
    Still been nice for winter cycling, if you like that kind of thing.

Yes re Vercors... with winters getting less reliable, the future of the resorts will become precarious. Valdrôme went a few years ago, for that very reason. I see there's a bit of a hoo-ha over someone who wants to build a load of stuff at Villard-de-Lans for the time when skiing isn't such a big thing there.

Meteociel looking good for quite a bit more snow today and tomorrow for Font d'Urle, and I imagine that will be true for the high Alps too.
  • briantrumpet
    The snow has arrived in Vassieux-en-Vercors, and looks like it'll be a decent dump today and possibly tomorrow, depending on what forecast model you take. Staying jolly cold, then more snow currently forecast next week too on Tuesday/Wednesday.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,557
    France doing what it does best....lucky I haven't booked yet. Looks like I'll be going to Austria or Switzerland this season:
    travelweekly.co.uk/news/tourism/french-ski-lift-workers-threaten-february-half-term-strike
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

France doing what it does best....lucky I haven't booked yet. Looks like I'll be going to Austria or Switzerland this season:
    travelweekly.co.uk/news/tourism/french-ski-lift-workers-threaten-february-half-term-strike

Indeed. Glad I've not got a trip booked then.
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,390
    edited January 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

I love the reference to "Half Term" which gives the lift workers' strike (which is aiming for disruption throughout the entire French winter holiday season) the air of being aimed at the Brits. (Or maybe it's just bad journalism.) The reality of course is that the #1 enemy of the people who live and work in French ski areas is the Parisians!

Back on-topic, Mrs W&G is currently working on the logistics for a family trip to Meribel in mid-late March. Praise be to University "Reading Weeks" so the kids will be able to join us!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,557

Stevo_666 said:

I love the reference to "Half Term" which gives the lift workers' strike (which is aiming for disruption throughout the entire French winter holiday season) the air of being aimed at the Brits. (Or maybe it's just bad journalism.) The reality of course is that the #1 enemy of the people who live and work in French ski areas is the Parisians!

Back on-topic, Mrs W&G is currently working on the logistics for a family trip to Meribel in mid-late March. Praise be to University "Reading Weeks" so the kids will be able to join us!
    Not sure how that was off topic...anyway, will likely take my business elsewhere unless they sort something soon.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy
    Some of the less sensationalist articles make it sound like it's not that likely to be an issue for most trips.

Nothing I can do now either way anyway!
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not sure how that was off topic...anyway, will likely take my business elsewhere unless they sort something soon.
    I can recommend Obergurgl. We went there for New Year. It was my first time in Austria (other than decades ago when virtually skint) after years of mainly going to France or Canada. Not much nightlife, but hard to avoid dining like a King. Dyson Airblades in the lodges at 2800m altitude too.

Ski hire places treat you like a valued customer too. Almost Canadian in their desire to please. Our place did their very best to satisfy my request for something that would make me ski like a better looking version of Herman Maier. I did the better looking bit, but even their best skis failed with the Herman Maier bit!