Anyone planning a ski or snowboard trip this winter?

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Saw a tweet yesterday that suggests peak could have been 2 days ago.

Obviously not easy to say that close though
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    Suggestion I read was France has had to cope with Delta and Omicron at the same time.
    But with 300k cases a day you'd have to think they are around the peak.
  • ddraver
    Interesting day today.

As the snow gets thinner and thinner and my touring legs got tireder, I ditched the wide/rockered skis and hired some proper piste skis to try and remember how to carve turns as I did in my (very brief, very british) "racing" days.

I would definitely say it's worth a go if you're stuck for snow! I picked up on a few things I've gotten lazy with over the years. Combine it with a lesson and I think it would really help a lot of people

(It's also chuffing knackering!)
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620
    ddraver said:

Interesting day today.

As the snow gets thinner and thinner and my touring legs got tireder, I ditched the wide/rockered skis and hired some proper piste skis to try and remember how to carve turns as I did in my (very brief, very british) "racing" days.

I would definitely say it's worth a go if you're stuck for snow! I picked up on a few things I've gotten lazy with over the years. Combine it with a lesson and I think it would really help a lot of people

(It's also chuffing knackering!)

Forgive my ignorance, but why do you need/want really wide skis? I can only really see them as useful heli skiing in a big bowl where you don't want to turn, but then if that is the goal, I feel like a snowboard is the answer. Otherwise, any powder I ski would have a sufficient number of obstacles that I'd want control, and the number of proper powder days per year can usually be counted on two hands, so being able to play in other areas is surely very uesful.

The caveat to this is I've never been fussed about equipment in most sports.
  • ddraver
    In that case, if you're lucky to get a powder day on holiday I recommend trying some powder skis...
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    edited January 2022
    ddraver said:

In that case, if you're lucky to get a powder day on holiday I recommend trying some powder skis...

I'd imagine they'd be in short supply. Plus on a powder day, you don't want to mess around in a rental shop. Anyway, you haven't really answered the question.
  • ddraver
    Not really sure it's my place to answer it...

Go try and see why everyone else does.
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Tbh I’m not much of a fan of fatties, never really enjoyed using them. Each to their own though. Much prefer the sensation of carving on piste rather than off piste stuff.
  • ddraver
    You're just weird. I bet you ride a steel single speed too

😋
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

Not really sure it's my place to answer it...

Go try and see why everyone else does.

I mean, you don't have to answer, but when talking about two different bits of kit it is not uncommon to be asked to explain the difference to someone. For example, I've been explaining the virtues of plasma TVs tonight.
  • kingstonian
    ddraver said:

You're just weird. I bet you ride a steel single speed too

😋

Haha - my best bike is steel but not single speed, so you’re half right !!!!!

I’m only able to get a max of 10-14 days skiing a year, not often within that time will there be a true powder day so honing my carving really works for me.
  • ddraver
    This is true. I'd love a go on the Line Blade at some point but the Europe bound ones seem to be stuck in shipping containers...

(Or not been embraced by rental shops)
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian

Quite glad I'll not be in France yet for another five weeks though... the infection rates over there are nuts at the moment - Haute Savoie (for instance) is 4076/100k at the moment, but reckon they'll pass their peak very soon with rates that high. I'll be taking a proper mask for the train journey. Even if symptoms are mild, I still don't want to catch the thing on my hols.

https://covidtracker.fr/dashboard-departements/

Just had another look at this......some initial signs that case numbers in Haute-Savoie and Savoie may have peaked, From one of the charts it looks like the past 2-3 days have shown slight declines. Fingers crossed that is the case and they see the declines in case numbers we’ve seen in the UK in the past week or so.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,906

Quite glad I'll not be in France yet for another five weeks though... the infection rates over there are nuts at the moment - Haute Savoie (for instance) is 4076/100k at the moment, but reckon they'll pass their peak very soon with rates that high. I'll be taking a proper mask for the train journey. Even if symptoms are mild, I still don't want to catch the thing on my hols.

https://covidtracker.fr/dashboard-departements/

Just had another look at this......some initial signs that case numbers in Haute-Savoie and Savoie may have peaked, From one of the charts it looks like the past 2-3 days have shown slight declines. Fingers crossed that is the case and they see the declines in case numbers we’ve seen in the UK in the past week or so.

Yes, ditto around Paris.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited January 2022

Alpine skier Dave Ryding has made history in Austria after winning Great Britain's first World Cup gold medal.

The 35-year-old beat off competition from Norwegian duo Lucas Braathen and Henrik Kristoffersen to take first place in the Kitzbuhel Slalom.

His, and Great Britain's, previous best finish at the event was second in 2017.
    "There was so much emotion when I finished and now I just, I don't know what to say, I'm normally not lost for words but now.

"You know, I'm 35 now but I never stopped believing, I never stopped trying, and to bring the first victory for Great Britain in a World Cup, in Kitzbuhel, I mean, I don't know if dreams are made better.

"Thanks for your support, it means the world just to hear some Brits and people cheering in the fans because you know, I don't have a home race but there's always some Brits in the Alps because we love skiing and we love to party as well, so, thank you."

https://news.sky.com/story/skier-dave-ryding-makes-history-to-win-britains-first-gold-in-alpine-skiing-world-cup-12523250

Bloody good going for a Brit.
  • ddraver
    edited January 2022
    They always win when Conditions are rather Scottish ;)

(How's it snowing in Austria?!?!? 😮😡)
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian
    Just watched it on Ski Sunday. Fair play to him.
  • ddraver
    This is a little Pro Race but they have 'live' follow drone here too. I saw it the first time during this weekends FWT tour where it's a game changer.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/alpine-skiing/kitzbuhel/2021-2022/the-master-shows-the-apprentice-beat-feuz-seals-kitzbuhel-downhill-marco-odermatt-second_vid1613382/video.shtml

We need to get something like this in cycling too, but mostly I wonder if it means that live "in peloton" shots (a la Velon) are close to being a reality now...?!?)
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723
    I've got HEAD ski's, I thought I was fookin brillant!
  • ddraver
    Touch of the kirby about these commentators tho... 😕
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723
    Ed Leigh all the way for me on snowboarding/ski cross side of things. His commentary in Sochi was brilliant. Looking forward to Beijing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I've never skied but watching that ultimate run item on Ski Sunday was incredible.
  • focuszing723
    As a kid, when I learnt to ski, no one had helmets on. It seems a bit crazy now, akin to riding a bike.
  • kingstonian
    ddraver said:

This is a little Pro Race but they have 'live' follow drone here too. I saw it the first time during this weekends FWT tour where it's a game changer.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/alpine-skiing/kitzbuhel/2021-2022/the-master-shows-the-apprentice-beat-feuz-seals-kitzbuhel-downhill-marco-odermatt-second_vid1613382/video.shtml

We need to get something like this in cycling too, but mostly I wonder if it means that live "in peloton" shots (a la Velon) are close to being a reality now...?!?)

Agreed - the drone footage is great, really gives a feel for the speed they’re travelling at.
  • Dorset_Boy
    ddraver said:

Not sure what you mean by this comment, given it's the first time a Brit has ever won an alpine ski event at WC level.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Drone footage is great.
    Seriously strong guys (and girls) the down hillers.
  • ddraver

ddraver said:

Not sure what you mean by this comment, given it's the first time a Brit has ever won an alpine ski event at WC level.
    How quickly we forgot Alain Baxter and his dodgy US Vicks Inhaler...
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian
    For anyone looking to go to Switzerland (or fly to Geneva en route to the French Alps), the Swiss entry requirements changed on 22nd Jan. For anyone fully vaccinated there is now no longer a need to do a PCR/LFT prior to travel, you just need to complete the Swiss Passenger Locator Form (you can only do this within 48 hrs of your flight).

If you’re going into GVA and onwards to the French Alps (as I am), it is probably still best to also comply with French rules which for fully vaccinated folks is the Declaration D’honneur form plus a PCR/LFT test done within 24 hrs of travel.
  • TheBigBean
    Has anyone done any lessons in the Milton Keynes snow dome? I was wondering about trying some as a introduction to skiing for the kids, but it wouldn't be a regular thing so wondered if it was worth the effort.
  • kingstonian

Has anyone done any lessons in the Milton Keynes snow dome? I was wondering about trying some as a introduction to skiing for the kids, but it wouldn't be a regular thing so wondered if it was worth the effort.

Not Milton Keynes, but my kids did an intro lesson to snowboarding at the Hemel Hempstead snow dome (This was in 2019). It was their first time on a board and doing it in that controlled environment worked well.