Anyone planning a ski or snowboard trip this winter?

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

@kingstonian - I can't remember, did you hire a car at Geneva Airport, if so, from which side, and did you find a good deal? Friends are coming that way to join me in the summer, but the hiring a car through EasyJet (normally dirt cheap) is looking quite expensive. And if you hired on the Swiss side, did a motorway vignette come as part of the price?

I'm hiring a car via EasyJet from Lyon in June, as I'm going with friends, and that's about £20 a day, but it's looking more like £40 a day from Geneva.

Just seen this.......

We hired from Avis as my brother gets a ridiculously good rate from them including a guaranteed double upgrade on whatever he books. Our booking was on the French side and after our experience I’d make sure a future booking was through the Swiss side as prices were very similar. Two reasons - firstly the Avis desk was poorly manned and we had to wait ages for the fella to turn up and sort out our car, and secondly when we returned to GVA it was almost impossible to find the Car hire drop off point on the French side.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,479

@kingstonian - I can't remember, did you hire a car at Geneva Airport, if so, from which side, and did you find a good deal? Friends are coming that way to join me in the summer, but the hiring a car through EasyJet (normally dirt cheap) is looking quite expensive. And if you hired on the Swiss side, did a motorway vignette come as part of the price?

I'm hiring a car via EasyJet from Lyon in June, as I'm going with friends, and that's about £20 a day, but it's looking more like £40 a day from Geneva.

Just seen this.......

We hired from Avis as my brother gets a ridiculously good rate from them including a guaranteed double upgrade on whatever he books. Our booking was on the French side and after our experience I’d make sure a future booking was through the Swiss side as prices were very similar. Two reasons - firstly the Avis desk was poorly manned and we had to wait ages for the fella to turn up and sort out our car, and secondly when we returned to GVA it was almost impossible to find the Car hire drop off point on the French side.
    Thanks. Will pass that on.

Satnav did the job for me on the French side, the one time I hired from there.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

If you hire on the Swiss side, a vignette is always included.
    In winter you are better hiring on the Swiss side due to the cars all having winter tyres fitted. That doesn't matter in the summer.
    I don’t know if it varies between rental firms, but when we rented through Avis they assured us all cars from the French side of GVA were fitted with winter tyres as standard. I know for sure that the car we ended up getting had them.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    As of this year, they would need them (or chains) by law in that part of France anyway...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,856
    Clearing the daft draft.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,485
    I've booked a ski trip. Exciting stuff, but it seems I need to buy new ski trousers and goggles.

I bought my ski trousers from Walmart 20 years ago for $20 and they have served me very well. They have an elasticated waste, fleece lining and are designed to pull over whatever you're wearing. I like them, but it seems to be a North American thing. Perhaps consistent with driving in a warm car to a ski hill then pulling on ski clothes on top. Any way, any ideas on anything similar that I might be able to buy?

Also, goggles. I'd like a pair with switchable lenses. Any suggestions for cheap ones? I'm happy to look humble.

• ddraver
    Sungod are ok for reasonable money and have lots of lens options.

Usual suspects are all as good as each other really

Can't help with trousers. I was quite specific about the ones I used and they were not like that. Not much has really changed though.
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,093

ddraver said:

Yer not going to need winter tyres in the western Alps this year... 😁

And definitely not by April. Hoping it'll be shorts & T-shirt time by then.
    You say that but in April 2022 I had a ski race in les Saisies, which is not particularly high, and there was a foot of snow from 1100 meters. Even with ploughed roads it was touch and go to get to the resort with winters on - if I'd stopped on the climb I wouldn't have got started.

a week later the snow had melted and it was 25C !
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,093

Also, goggles. I'd like a pair with switchable lenses. Any suggestions for cheap ones? I'm happy to look humble.

I use either Lidl or Aldi and buy two pairs, one for sun, one for shade. Et voila.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,485
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,479
    I should have worn shorts today. It's nuts. There was even a June salad wild flower blossoming in the village. Nature's going to get very confused if it goes back to what it should be.
  • ddraver
    Glenshee currently the best snow in Europe...

50 cms of fresh!
    - @ddraver
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383
    I will be in Dobbiaco for XC skiing last week of January
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    ddraver said:

50 cms of fresh!

Where did you read this? The sites I usually rely on including Glenshee’s own say only 6 runs are open and it’s relying on artificial snow?

We live 45 min drive down the valley from Glenshee , and it’s true we have had lots of snow since 12 dec - quite unusual in December. The temps have been constantly below zero here since then so on the slopes I imagine a good base is forming as the ground would be really cold. Then on New Year’s Day we got another big dump and we ended up being snowed in. I thought Glenshee may now have decent cover but I just can’t find it being reported? I may well venture up there at the weekend to see if more runs are open and get a day in.

Quite incredible to see the Alps so bare - sounds like some are having to go to over 2000m to find even a hint of snow.
  • wavefront said:

ddraver said:

50 cms of fresh!

Where did you read this? The sites I usually rely on including Glenshee’s own say only 6 runs are open and it’s relying on artificial snow?

We live 45 min drive down the valley from Glenshee , and it’s true we have had lots of snow since 12 dec - quite unusual in December. The temps have been constantly below zero here since then so on the slopes I imagine a good base is forming as the ground would be really cold. Then on New Year’s Day we got another big dump and we ended up being snowed in. I thought Glenshee may now have decent cover but I just can’t find it being reported? I may well venture up there at the weekend to see if more runs are open and get a day in.

Quite incredible to see the Alps so bare - sounds like some are having to go to over 2000m to find even a hint of snow.
    When you say ‘45 mins down the valley’ do you mean Blairgowrie?

I’m at the back of Dundee, and all I can see towards the Glens and beyond is white.

• wavefront

wavefront said:

ddraver said:

50 cms of fresh!

When you say ‘45 mins down the valley’ do you mean Blairgowrie?

I’m at the back of Dundee, and all I can see towards the Glens and beyond is white.

Ah-ha! A neighbour - ish :) I’m up between Aboyne and Ballater on Deeside. I agree it’s quite white out there, and I’m also looking out onto a good cover of snow and was thinking of heading to Glenshee this weekend but on the websites can only see that 6 or 7 runs on the west side were opening. I’m hoping the others are closed because they haven’t been bashed rather than lack of snow. You thinking of going over?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,856
    ddraver said:

50 cms of fresh!

https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Webcam

Not bad.
  • I've got a few days in Chamonix end of Jan but it looks more like a knees up than a ski trip at this rate.

Wavefront - my in laws are in Burnhervie. Lovely lovely cycling round that way when I can get away from the kids!
  • wavefront

Wavefront - my in laws are in Burnhervie. Lovely lovely cycling round that way when I can get away from the kids!

Had to look up Burnhervie, but know Monymush / Kemnay etc. As you say, lovely cycling routes around here, but the wind! I grew up in Banchory, then with work ended up in Surrey for 20 odd years. Moved back here last year, and my, I'd forgotten about the wind! Hope you can get up here and away from the kids soon!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,376
    BBC over exaggerating as ever.
    The Grand Massif (Les Carroz, Samoens, Flaine) and Les Gets & Avoriaz were really badly affected by very heavy rain washing away a good base pre-Xmas. Conditions aren't great low down in many western alpine resorts, but the likes of Serre Chevalier have great snow by all accounts, and not aware of any issues further east.
    Poor snow conditions at Christmas and New Year are not unusual. Temperatures have however been very warm this year.
    Seemingly cooler weather and some snow is on its way over the next week or so.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,607

ddraver said:

50 cms of fresh!

Not bad.
    Only about 1/3 of the lifts are open - suggests conditions are marginal and they can only open where the runs are in reach of the snow machines. At these temperatures it will be a mix of snow, grass and be icy as fcuk.

Worth keeping an eye on for those of us who can decide on the day whether or not to go, but unless you are willing to risk mooching around highland villages in bad weather as a back up I would never recommend anyone plan a Scottish skiing trip from further afield.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,557
    Usual tactics apply here - we'll hold off booking until things (hopefully) change for the better and will go for a high altitude resort. These conditions don't usually last the whole season so fingers crossed.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • wavefront

ddraver said:

50 cms of fresh!

Not bad.
    Only about 1/3 of the lifts are open - suggests conditions are marginal and they can only open where the runs are in reach of the snow machines. At these temperatures it will be a mix of snow, grass and be icy as fcuk.

Worth keeping an eye on for those of us who can decide on the day whether or not to go, but unless you are willing to risk mooching around highland villages in bad weather as a back up I would never recommend anyone plan a Scottish skiing trip from further afield.
    Was chuckling when I read this - spot on! Good for the locals on a day to day basis. Skiing is fun, until you're skiing on mud and heather. As much as I love Glenshee, it was a revelation when I went abroad to ski for the first time!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120

I've got a few days in Chamonix end of Jan but it looks more like a knees up than a ski trip at this rate.

They seem to have a decent fall forecast for Sunday and Monday so may improve. My mate has just done a week in Courchevel and seemed to be OK although it looked a bit slushy to my untrained eye on close up photos (appreciate that's about 60km away from Chamonix though).
  • A cold front is coming in, stop worrying.
    I've got until the 29th of Jan so am hopeful the weather will return to some sort of normality soon.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Is not the case if the ground is not frozen to a decent level the the snow conditions if and when it comes will be sh!tty.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,557
    Seems to be better in the high altitude resorts as you might expect. I'm not planning to go till late Feb but will definitely 'go high' and hold off for a bit just to make sure.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    webboo said:

Is not the case if the ground is not frozen to a decent level the the snow conditions if and when it comes will be sh!tty.

Not sure it's got much to do with ground temperature but certainly having zero base is going to hurt. Usually, the base would be in place by November-ish...

First two snowfalls - even big ones - are going to get it back to the state it usually is in mid-December in a bad year.
    - @ddraver