Anyone planning a ski or snowboard trip this winter?

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

Got back from Geneva last night after 3 days of skiing.

Regarding the Tous Anti Covid app, every restaurant asked to see and scan it before they took our order. We all had it in our phones though people at tables nearby showed the QR code on the NHS app which also worked fine.

Yesterday the gendarmes were also checking everyone’s Tous Anti Covid QR codes before getting on lifts. I believe it is because school holidays in France have started and they wanted to make a point. It wasn’t a hassle though, really didn’t cause any delay.

For the journey to your destination I would suggest printing all the various documents, especially if you are a family travelling - with 2 kids in tow it made it so much easier being able to hand over the documents in paper form rather than open each individually on my phone. If I was travelling alone I might just go via the paperless route.

Hope you had a good time. I'll just screencap the NHS QR code, I think.
    Yes, it was great thanks. So good to be able to be in the mountains again.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,509

Regarding the Tous Anti Covid app, every restaurant asked to see and scan it before they took our order. We all had it in our phones though people at tables nearby showed the QR code on the NHS app which also worked fine.

Yesterday the gendarmes were also checking everyone’s Tous Anti Covid QR codes before getting on lifts. I believe it is because school holidays in France have started and they wanted to make a point. It wasn’t a hassle though, really didn’t cause any delay.

For the journey to your destination I would suggest printing all the various documents, especially if you are a family travelling - with 2 kids in tow it made it so much easier being able to hand over the documents in paper form rather than open each individually on my phone. If I was travelling alone I might just go via the paperless route.

Splendid. I'm hoping to get into the mountains on my bike, as I discovered I'm rubbish at skiing.

• kingstonian

Splendid. I'm hoping to get into the mountains on my bike, as I discovered I'm rubbish at skiing.

Great pic !!!!

On the theme of cycling, while I was in La Plagne I got to meet up with an old friend. I knew she lived close to Moûtiers but didn’t know she can see Col de la Madeleine from her garden. Her husband is into cycling, he’s certainly picked a great place to live to do it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Being able to see anything from Moutiers is a miracle ;)

I'm beginning to question how relevant all these free-ski events are to most skiers. I guess they're good show events and not much less relevant than the racing but when the BBC commentators can't even keep up with the number of spins it's a bit... 😕
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian
    ddraver said:

I'm beginning to question how relevant all these free-ski events are to most skiers. I guess they're good show events and not much less relevant than the racing but when the BBC commentators can't even keep up with the number of spins it's a bit... 😕

Yeah, Moûtiers itself isn’t particularly pleasant but she’s a 15-20 min drive from there in a lovely little place.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,382

ddraver said:

Yeah, Moûtiers itself isn’t particularly pleasant but she’s a 15-20 min drive from there in a lovely little place.
    Like a lot of the valley towns, they're much nicer in summer than winter.
  • kingstonian

ddraver said:

Like a lot of the valley towns, they're much nicer in summer than winter.
    Very true
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,094

and to become a bit of a bore, be careful at the moment as there is a lot of black ice around on shaded sections of roads, especially if there are rivers etc nearby, take it easy, avoid hospital, save lives (your own).
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • briantrumpet
    davidof said:

and to become a bit of a bore, be careful at the moment as there is a lot of black ice around on shaded sections of roads, especially if there are rivers etc nearby, take it easy, avoid hospital, save lives (your own).
    Indeed. I'm very cautious at this time of year. That's the Isère side, and I never venture down there when it's cold, I just get the photo op, and retrace my steps to the Drôme side, which is several degrees warmer. Plus, of course, I always check the road condition carefully on the ascent. I think the local hospitals are at 133% 'tension'.
  • ddraver
    I know it's never easy to root for the 'muricans but Lindsay Jacobellis pulling this was pretty badass...

(Reminder)
    https://youtu.be/IKmCCIjgY4E
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,514
    I put that on the cheer me up thread.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,514
    I liked the winner of the ski slope style. Very creative.
  • kingstonian
    Just heard that the family we were due to go to Whistler with now can’t go - their 13 year old son has caught Covid a week before he’s due to have his second jab.

The company we booked with are seeing if they can rebook them somewhere with less strict Covid entry requirements, maybe Norway.

Oh well, it is a shame but we’re still going ! We’re there the 2 weeks before Easter, can’t wait.
  • ddraver
    There is truly no commentator more cursed than Matt Chiltern. Almost Carlton levels of wrong albeit he was correct 1 second before.

Not a bad effort from Dave Ryding in the end. Not sure Gold was ever really on but proves Kitzbuhl wasn't a total fluke.
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    It's a good job I wasn't hoping to ski at all.

It's actually a fantastic time of the year here for cycling if the weather plays Mediterranean ball: virtually no traffic, and when you get a good day, the light is stunning.

It's less good if you're a ski worker. It's been a rubbish season for them here. I don't think anyone in their right mind would book a skiing holiday here in advance: it tends to be locals who'll take advantage *if* the resorts happen to open.

• davidof

Looks nice. We spent the day in les Sybelles in the Maurienne, bit snowier than chez tu

Instagramme
  • ddraver
    edited February 2022
    Last 2 days were the best of the season so far in the western Alps. Bluebird and some proper bottomless turns and thigh deep fluff in places. Boot top to knee deep elsewhere. Great day riding around Les Arcs then a backcountry run off the back of St Foy yesterday.

Goodness knows if this will work -
    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLk6UxD7/

- @ddraver
  • kingstonian

It's actually a fantastic time of the year here for cycling if the weather plays Mediterranean ball: virtually no traffic, and when you get a good day, the light is stunning.

It's less good if you're a ski worker. It's been a rubbish season for them here. I don't think anyone in their right mind would book a skiing holiday here in advance: it tends to be locals who'll take advantage *if* the resorts happen to open.

Looks like a fantastic corner of the world to ride a bike in.
  • kingstonian
    Just over 5 weeks until I fly to Whistler. They’re due a dump this coming weekend. Can’t wait to get there.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,528
    Train ride tomorrow. Starting to get excited...
  • kingstonian
    Jezyboy said:

Where are you heading to?
  • briantrumpet

Looks like a fantastic corner of the world to ride a bike in.

It is. Much better than the Alps proper, as the climate is better, and there are many more options of routes.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,528

Jezyboy said:

Where are you heading to?
    Tignes. Was blue sky nearly all week, with a little cloud on Friday. So no fresh snow, but it was pretty cold so what was there held up nicely.

Other half managed all week, unlike the previous time we visited when they separated their shoulder just before lunch on the second day. I bashed my ribs on the first day, but I'm pretty sure they are only badly bruised... Hurt over bumps though.

I'd rate the direct train as a method of getting there. Extra day skiing on the first Saturday, plus no endless transfer couch journeys, or waiting in the queues at Chambery.

• briantrumpet
    @kingstonian - I can't remember, did you hire a car at Geneva Airport, if so, from which side, and did you find a good deal? Friends are coming that way to join me in the summer, but the hiring a car through EasyJet (normally dirt cheap) is looking quite expensive. And if you hired on the Swiss side, did a motorway vignette come as part of the price?

I'm hiring a car via EasyJet from Lyon in June, as I'm going with friends, and that's about £20 a day, but it's looking more like £40 a day from Geneva.
  • Dorset_Boy

@kingstonian - I can't remember, did you hire a car at Geneva Airport, if so, from which side, and did you find a good deal? Friends are coming that way to join me in the summer, but the hiring a car through EasyJet (normally dirt cheap) is looking quite expensive. And if you hired on the Swiss side, did a motorway vignette come as part of the price?

I'm hiring a car via EasyJet from Lyon in June, as I'm going with friends, and that's about £20 a day, but it's looking more like £40 a day from Geneva.

If you hire on the Swiss side, a vignette is always included.
    In winter you are better hiring on the Swiss side due to the cars all having winter tyres fitted. That doesn't matter in the summer.
  • briantrumpet

In winter you are better hiring on the Swiss side due to the cars all having winter tyres fitted. That doesn't matter in the summer.

Thanks. At one stage Elephant Car Hire was a good place to check good deals (and the difference between the French and Swiss sides was notable), but doesn't seem to work now.

It's not too bad, as the hire is being split four ways, but I'm still surprised how much more expensive it is than from Lyon. Must be those wealthy Swiss skewing it...
  • Dorset_Boy

Thanks. At one stage Elephant Car Hire was a good place to check good deals (and the difference between the French and Swiss sides was notable), but doesn't seem to work now.

It's not too bad, as the hire is being split four ways, but I'm still surprised how much more expensive it is than from Lyon. Must be those wealthy Swiss skewing it...
    It's still the main airport for the western alps, be that France or Switzerland.
  • davidof
    Car hire is shockingly expensive this year - we were looking at a week's hire in the Uk and it is around 500 quid for a compact car. We've decided to drive instead.
    Instagramme
  • ddraver
    Yer not going to need winter tyres in the western Alps this year... 😁
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

Yer not going to need winter tyres in the western Alps this year... 😁

And definitely not by April. Hoping it'll be shorts & T-shirt time by then.