Vuelta 2017:Stage 15: Alcal la Real - Sierra Nevada. Alto Hoya de la Mora. Monachil 129.4Kms *Spoile

1235»

Comments

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Yes exactly hence why it's not a criticism of Sky, and the strongest rider generally rides for a team with lots of money who over time will build a team to ride exactly like this.

Unless your team name is BMC when you will spend lots of money on mediocre "GC riders" with no attempt to build a strong team.
  • TheBigBean wrote:

Yates and Bardet were simply breakaway riders that you see on every stage. You could just about include Kruijswijk as a GC rider if you were being generous, and Nibali's attempt never really got going, so I would say that in GC terms only 8th and 10th placed attacked from a reasonable distance or in any significant way.

As mentioned above, the stage where Froome and Contador were alone, unsupported, with 30km to go involved more meaningful long range attacks.

Yates and Bardet weren't in the breakaway. They attacked on the same climb as Lopez and Contador, only earlier.
    I hadn't realised you were qualifying long range attacks by GC contenders only.
    By the very nature of GT racing, there are fewer contenders on stage 15, than there were on stage 6.
    Bardet and Yates were still GC contenders back then.

Stage 6 was a 500 metre climb followed by 30kms of downhill and flat. Yesterday was also a 500 metre climb, but followed by 20kms ascending over 1000 metres. Hardly similar.
    Expecting long range attacks from GC contenders on every GC stage at a Vuelta is definitely unrealistic, without a few individuals resorting to the hot sauce.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    So have we all seen the video of two AG2R riders hanging on their team car

https://twitter.com/velocast/status/904660253203189760
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    RichN95 wrote:
    So have we all seen the video of two AG2R riders hanging on their team car

https://twitter.com/velocast/status/904660253203189760

Nibali would be so proud. I assume AG2R are 2 riders down now?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Both Geneiz and Denz withdrawn from the race by AG2R..
    It's interesting to note that none of the riders came out complaining about it, which probably means this happens a LOT.

Well, as they say: "Love thy neighbour, but don't get caught". :twisted: :twisted:
  • r0bh
    Brendan Gallagher makes the point on Twitter that the AG2R DS driving the car should be sent home too
  • blurry but Denz was obviously talking to the DS ( which is allowed) and Geniez patiently waiting his turn ( which is a grey area :) )
  • r0bh
    blurry but Denz was obviously talking to the DS ( which is allowed) and Geniez patiently waiting his turn ( which is a grey area :) )

Doesn't matter, riders are not allowed to hold onto a vehicle. Yes, I know they do but this is just another cycling rule that is ignored most of the time

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.pdf

Drivers must never:
    - allow riders to hold onto their vehicle;
  • r0bh wrote:
    blurry but Denz was obviously talking to the DS ( which is allowed) and Geniez patiently waiting his turn ( which is a grey area :) )

Doesn't matter, riders are not allowed to hold onto a vehicle. Yes, I know they do but this is just another cycling rule that is ignored most of the time

Drivers must never:

Generally they don't, do they? They get a sticky bottle, or occasionally the strategic spanner, but they don't just hold on to have a chat. This only normally happens with the medical car.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    used to go on a Lot back in the laughing group on mountain stages... a lot less these days i suspect.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    r0bh wrote:

Drivers must never:
    Being a pedant, that rule doesn't prevent the riders from holding on, it prohibits drivers from allowing riders to hold on. So presumably its the driver that should be punished, not the rider?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim
  • l''Equipe reporting that a French rider has claimed that the video was filmed by Sky

“We were behind the AG2R car and we saw the people from Sky filming the scene,” L’Equipe quote the French rider as saying. “With what Sky and Froome do on social media, it’s fair and square.”

That last sentence...is the gist that as Sky get so much stick on the Twatters with accusations of cheating, its fair does that they filmed it and shared it? SGS?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Diddums.

Can't say I have much sympathy for the riders.

Then again, I never consider their livelihood...
  • larkim
    I'd like to think that any DS worth their salt seeing a rival team blatantly breaking the rules like that (not just a sticky bidon etc) would report it. The only ones who wouldn't would be the ones who would condone it and allow their riders to do the same, surely.

It's not being tell-taley - it's making sure that you uphold the rules as much as the next team.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    larkim wrote:
    I'd like to think that any DS worth their salt seeing a rival team blatantly breaking the rules like that (not just a sticky bidon etc) would report it. The only ones who wouldn't would be the ones who would condone it and allow their riders to do the same, surely.

It's not being tell-taley - it's making sure that you uphold the rules as much as the next team.

Such an Anglo approach...
  • larkim
    Guilty as charged.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    :D:D:D