The (Not So) Great Unanswered Question

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Well I've moved on from hating range rover drivers to despising Peugeot drivers who park in parent and child spot that we had our eyes on. It was near the entrance and it was raining. We.had to park a long way from the entrance. I did see the late twenty year old woman get out leaving an empty car. Meanwhile we're child wrangling in a busy part of the carpark with cars passing.

There's a reason for parent and child parking spots guys! Don't use them if you're without children under tree age of 13.

BTW on a plus they've put in ANPR cameras and are using parking wardens. With luck they'll actually fine these people the £70 fine that's mentioned on the new warning signs.

Were they collecting a child by any chance?

I'd be the first to moan, but I know for a fact if I said anything the girl would return to the car in a few minutes with a child.....probably disabled.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Is partly cultural.

In Netherlands, the worst swear words are blasphemous and to do with illnesses.

In the UK, the worst words are reserved for sex & sexual organs.

It wasn't until I watched Suzie Dent's little videos on You Tube that I found out that calling someone a 'berk' is no different to calling them a c**t. As it is actually the abbreviation of Berkshire Hunt, the rhyming slang for the 'C' word.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mr_goo
    New Q. - What is the score with Jazz?
    Does anyone actually like it themselves or know of anyone that does? purely for the actual music and the skill of the musicians and songwriting. Or do they simply think they like it because "it's cool man" ?, like it's portrayed to be movies and US TV series.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,901
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Does anyone actually like it themselves or know of anyone that does? purely for the actual music and the skill of the musicians and songwriting. Or do they simply think they like it because "it's cool man" ?, like it's portrayed to be movies and US TV series.

Jazz is just awful.

Beaten only by Opera, for awfulness.

But I like repetitive music, so what do I know.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    rjsterry wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Ok... swearing and religion, what's the score? Do religions clearly say swearing is not to be done, with no ambiguity? Or, is it that religious types have decided they don't like swearing (and then try to make out it's a religious thing)?

There is a specific biblical prohibition on using the name of God as a swear word (and presumably other uses that one wouldn't necessarily think of as swearing - OMG, etc.)

7th Commandment:

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
    (KJV)

There's no specific prohibition on other swearing but there are a couple of references that could be interpreted in that way if you were the kind of person who likes telling people what to do and want to back it up by waving a Bible around.

Pretty much what I thought in the case of the new testament version of things, so nothing inherently wrong with swearing, just blasphemy then.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,571
    Mr Goo wrote:
    I like lots of it - probably 40% of my music collection is jazz. But like all genres, there's plenty that grates. It's the varying interpretations that interest me. Case in point: one of the all-time classic melodies is "Autumn Leaves". It's been covered by dozens, if not hundreds, of [jazz] singers and musicians, from Frank Sinatra to Eva Cassidy to Iggy Pop and Eric Clapton, and instrumentals from piano and trumpet soloists through trios and even almost big-band groups. I've got probably 9 recordings of it. One is a 2 and a half minute "variation" on the melody by Jackie Terrasson which is hauntingly simple. Another is a (live concert) 27 minute long improvisation by Keith Jarrett and Trio which is extraordinary for the musician-ship alone. Then I have Mel Torme singing it, again in a live show, which is just effortless swing and groove. They all bring something different and fresh.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,571
    Mr Goo wrote:

Jazz is just awful.

Rick, if you like repetitive music, but hate jazz, try an album called "Hanging Gardens", by The Necks. They're Aussie too, just to tick another of your pet hates. :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,905
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Came in a jug, mate. I only made the mistake once, I now drink tea when I'm in the US.
    The answer is quite straightforward.
    Espresso at a good café.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mr_goo
    Mr Goo wrote:

Jazz is just awful.

I forgot to add Opera.

Jazz and Opera seem to go hand in hand with a certain type. I'm convinced that nobody truly loves either for the music or the talent of the performers. I think this certain type like it because A. It's cool (Jazz) & B. It differentiates them from the mainstream in a perceived cerebral and high brow manner (Opera).
    They're also the kind that have read War & Peace and claim it to be a fantastic read. When really its an over stuffed mattress of lumbering words.
  • rick_chasey
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Jazz is just awful.

I forgot to add Opera.

Jazz and Opera seem to go hand in hand with a certain type. I'm convinced that nobody truly loves either for the music or the talent of the performers. I think this certain type like it because A. It's cool (Jazz) & B. It differentiates them from the mainstream in a perceived cerebral and high brow manner (Opera).
    They're also the kind that have read War & Peace and claim it to be a fantastic read. When really its an over stuffed mattress of lumbering words.

Well. Apart from Triathletes, (obviously), I try to steer clear of judging people by their certain hobbies.

I'm 1/3 of the way through War and Peace and it's pretty good, if you can keep track of the different itterations of the same name (something i'm not very good at).

It's more I just f*cking hate the music, rather than the people who like it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    I was once being given a lift home by a friend's wife that worked round the corner from me. She was playing some music that consisted of opera, rap and Elton John, it was the most godawful racket and I'm sure my ears were about to start bleeding. I commented that I wasn't keen and she insisted it was really good. I quickly ejected the tape and through it into the boot before she could stop me. She wasn't happy, her husband complained I hadn't thrown it out the window.
    I don't know how anyone could like that. Three genres of music that I don't like all being played at the same time in some utterly incohesive manner. Truly appalling, so bad I'm now doubting it can be true. Maybe I'd had a nightmare and woke up believing it.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Any Jazz released in 1959 is ok

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Miles Davis/Gil Evans - Sketches of Spain
    Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five
    Charles Mingus - Mingus, ah , um

I think late 50's jazz was the golden period - The tail end of Duke Ellington's heyday, and the more melodic period of John Coltrane, Miles Davis etc. It got either over experimental or too easy listening from the 60's onwards.
  • mrfpb
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I was once being given a lift home by a friend's wife that worked round the corner from me. She was playing some music that consisted of opera, rap and Elton John, it was the most godawful racket and I'm sure my ears were about to start bleeding. I commented that I wasn't keen and she insisted it was really good. I quickly ejected the tape and through it into the boot before she could stop me. She wasn't happy, her husband complained I hadn't thrown it out the window.
    I don't know how anyone could like that. Three genres of music that I don't like all being played at the same time in some utterly incohesive manner. Truly appalling, so bad I'm now doubting it can be true. Maybe I'd had a nightmare and woke up believing it.

It's quite handy to have such music for dinner parties, for the point where you want people to start leaving.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Jazz is just awful.

I forgot to add Opera.

I like opera. I like piano concertos, I like symphonies. I like drum and bass - the proper dub reggae jungle style. I like fierce industrial techno. I like thrash metal from the 80's. I like 1970's classic rock.

The best performance of an opera I ever saw was Don Giovanni at the ROH, where all the attendees had got tickets for £20 through an offer in the Sun, and I would say most had never been to an opera in their lives. The atmosphere was excellent, and the performers really hammed up their performances to great cheers and applause.

What do you like Goo?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,905
    mrfpb wrote:

I think late 50's jazz was the golden period - The tail end of Duke Ellington's heyday, and the more melodic period of John Coltrane, Miles Davis etc. It got either over experimental or too easy listening from the 60's onwards.
    This.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    mrfpb wrote:
    It's quite handy to have such music for dinner parties, for the point where you want people to start leaving.
    Good point.
    I should add following on from H³ post I will add that there are some of most forms of music that I like. Even some opera and rap, but this was a particularly bad cacophony. I have even been to an opera once, but I was trying to impress a girl. Aida in Verona, we were half cut and fell asleep even though we were sitting on stone steps.
  • rick_chasey
    Veronese68 wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    Good point.
    I should add following on from H³ post I will add that there are some of most forms of music that I like. Even some opera and rap, but this was a particularly bad cacophony. I have even been to an opera once, but I was trying to impress a girl. Aida in Verona, we were half cut and fell asleep even though we were sitting on stone steps.

In some respects, rap and opera are similar, given the lyrical content.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

This.
    +1 from me. I have also quite got into Django Reinhardt and that kind of stuff through a friend who is really into it.
    Like a bit of jazz, but then there isn't much I won't listen to.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rick_chasey
    hqdefault.jpg
  • mrfpb
    hqdefault.jpg

Nice!
  • hopkinb
    hqdefault.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Grreat.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,834
    Mr Goo wrote:

Jazz is just awful.

I'm no opera buff but even so, some of the most emotional music ever written is from opera. If some of the music doesn't touch or move you in some way you really must lack emotion!

Jazz on the other hand....then again it's a big genre with stuff ranging from abysmal to tolerable.
  • Pross
    Why do all the alarm clocks I've ever used have the snooze time set at 9 minutes?
  • hopkinb
    Pross wrote:
    I'm no opera buff but even so, some of the most emotional music ever written is from opera. If some of the music doesn't touch or move you in some way you really must lack emotion!

So many gorgeous arias and duets to cherry pick.

Barcarolle, the flower duet, The Pearl Fishers Duet, Canzonetta sull'aria (the duet played in Shawshank redemption), Un di felice, La ci darem la mano, che gelida manina, e lucevan l'estelle, un bel di, casta diva, Mi tradì quell'alma ingrate.
  • mr_goo
    hopkinb wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Jazz is just awful.

I forgot to add Opera.

I like opera. I like piano concertos, I like symphonies. I like drum and bass - the proper dub reggae jungle style. I like fierce industrial techno. I like thrash metal from the 80's. I like 1970's classic rock.

The best performance of an opera I ever saw was Don Giovanni at the ROH, where all the attendees had got tickets for £20 through an offer in the Sun, and I would say most had never been to an opera in their lives. The atmosphere was excellent, and the performers really hammed up their performances to great cheers and applause.

What do you like Goo?

My likes:
    Most Rock music - heavy, prog, metal, punk. Not so keen on thrash. Not that keen on Whitesnake, but that's a juvenile thing from back in the late 70s when there was a Rainbow vs Whitesnake element in my school class. I was firmly in the Ritchie Blackmore camp and thought Coverdale was a big girls blouse. And its stuck. Also not that keen on Iron Maiden, although I've seen them 3 times. I like the new/newish bands out there.... Raveneye, Royal Blood, Opus, Rival Sons. Joanne Shaw Taylor is also very talented, but more blues.
    I listen to Planet Rock most days and they are great for promoting new bands and have special features to showcase them. Just a shame that the smaller venues are dying out/closing down. My old home town of Bournemouth used to be great for seeing up and coming bands. Saw Iron Maiden with Paul Di'anno as lead singer at Poole Arts Centre. They don't do gigs anymore at that venue.

I love classical music. Introduced to it by my late grandfather who had an extensive collection of LPs and box collections. All sadly in a landfill or charity shop. Didn't have the foresight that vinyl would still be a relevant music source. I cannot get on with the stuff played on Radio 3.
    I can handle a bit of reggae and pop (70s/80s) too.

I have seen a Shakespeare play (King John) at Stratford. I found it exceptionally moving, and interesting to see TV actors performing live with very little in way of props and absolutely no scenery.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Jazz - huuuge Genre - some good, some bad - personally I don't get the Coltrane stuff - had a fellow saxophonist (glad I didn't play the piano - just say pianist quickly ... ;) ) join a workshop group I was in - first solo he did was blisteringly fast with all the notes he could play, plus a few more for good measure - sure I'd love to be able to play as fast as he did - but he didn't understand _WHAT_ he was playing - his practice was to learn the Coltrane solos and play them - hence all his solos were the same regardless of the tune. Now, I'm sure Coltrane knew what he was playing - but I still don't get it.

Why do I like Jazz? I like the non-prescribed stuff - where the performers know the music and aren't just performing from a script. I like seeing the soloists going off - the band following where they're going and playing off each other - it takes a lot of skill and understanding to do that.
    There's a Scottish rock band who I've watched live too - the bass player going off on one with the drummer - yet fitted the song perfectly (I know the tune inside out - and noticed the bass going "off script" - looked in their direction and noticed the interaction) - that's what does it for me.
    Recently went to see Cliff Richard live (first time seeing a mega-star) - he was good - but not the same - it was polished performance - but whilst they were tallented musicians - it's not the same...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Pross wrote:
    Why do all the alarm clocks I've ever used have the snooze time set at 9 minutes?

I was sat at my bedside the other day, looking at my alarm clock - a little toblerone shaped digital clock with red LEDs ... been working for over 30 years ... they don't make things like that these days do they ... ;)

Oh - snooze time - 9 minutes :)
  • When do flats become apartments?

When do terraced houses become cottages?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Dinyull wrote:
    Well I've moved on from hating range rover drivers to despising Peugeot drivers who park in parent and child spot that we had our eyes on. It was near the entrance and it was raining. We.had to park a long way from the entrance. I did see the late twenty year old woman get out leaving an empty car. Meanwhile we're child wrangling in a busy part of the carpark with cars passing.

There's a reason for parent and child parking spots guys! Don't use them if you're without children under tree age of 13.

BTW on a plus they've put in ANPR cameras and are using parking wardens. With luck they'll actually fine these people the £70 fine that's mentioned on the new warning signs.

Were they collecting a child by any chance?

I'd be the first to moan, but I know for a fact if I said anything the girl would return to the car in a few minutes with a child.....probably disabled.
    Nope. Saw her get in when we left. Looked like a bottle of something in her hand. It's not a woman and wine parking!

Who cares which way round the car is parked. You walk the child around the side of the car into the car you can do that whatever way around it's parked. It's about getting the child into the car via a safe route. Shopping is secondary to that. If this parking bothers you then IMHO it's a bit obsessive to be bothered by that. Surely it must bother you more seeing a young child being unloaded in a busy part of the carpark because all the P&C spots are taken by selfish ppl.
  • Pross
    Slowbike wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I was sat at my bedside the other day, looking at my alarm clock - a little toblerone shaped digital clock with red LEDs ... been working for over 30 years ... they don't make things like that these days do they ... ;)

Oh - snooze time - 9 minutes :)

Ours is a red cube that my wife has had since she was a teen so also about 30 years old. It has a built in radio that's never really worked as 'p!ss off' written in permanent pen on the base where the wife must have got fed up with it waking her up before I even met her!