The (Not So) Great Unanswered Question

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The classic six inch drop between jacket and trouser.
    you must however have a seriously small upper body for an adult male unless you are 5 foot tall.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
    You know it's a cyclist forum right? Well known for being Johnny Bravos, to a man.
  • webboo
    You know it's a cyclist forum right? Well known for being Johnny Bravos, to a man.
    You've lost me with the Johnny Bravos.
    Yes I do know it's a Cycling forum and in 34 years of cycling I'm fairly clear I've never met an adult cyclist ironically who had a 34" chest
    Sorry.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Erm! You've heard of MAMILs? How many are skinny shorties with a need for boy sized clothes? My waist is 34 and ppl think I'm slim at work. I was probably 14 and nearly 32" waist. Don't know what my chest was but pretty sure 34" was passed by at that point. I was a skinny kid growing up too.
  • Webboo wrote:
    I'm a 34 jacket!
    Jackets are measured on chest not waist size :wink:

No, i'm a 34 jacket, 28 waist. :|

Either start doing a few press ups or stop buying off the shelf
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Pross wrote:
    Pretty sure it's 4 pints for £1 in Sainsbury not 4 litres!
    Fair pint. Pint well made.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Webboo wrote:
    you must however have a seriously small upper body for an adult male unless you are 5 foot tall.

Is a six inch drop the 'classic'?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ben6899 wrote:

Yes - and you should see the doctor - he's got some little blue pills that will help ... ;)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

I thought it was 8 inch?
    32" waist, 40" chest etc.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ben6899
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

I thought it was 8 inch?

That's what I was getting at.

Webboo, perhaps you need to lose some off your waist?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • webboo
    Ben6899 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

I thought it was 8 inch?

That's what I was getting at.

Webboo, perhaps you need to lose some off your waist?
    No,it's 6 inch and you are right once the 34's needed to always worn with a belt. Now it's a case of undoing a button to breathe.
    However I can safely claim it's all age related as you get wider at the waist as you get older without gaining weight. It all to do with gravity :lol:
  • tangled_metal
    It's 8 inches drop. 42" to 34" waist on me. Well 32" waist but I actually prefer a bit of breathing room. It's my age I guess, fashion goes out the window for comfort. If it's only 6" then I've either got a too narrow waist or a more athletic physique. It's neither.

BTW is there a rule for waist to leg length? I'm 34"waist which with long leg lengths equates to 33"/34". I think smaller sizes the leg length to waist in regular is more closely matched.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Webboo needs to lose 2" from his waistline. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ben6899
    I'm 30" and 38"... Webboo, this all points to the hard truth (which I think you have already alluded to!)... ;)
    Ben

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    orraloon wrote:
    Hmm. There is a dairy farm not far from me which has signs outside offering for sale raw Jersey milk. Not much of a milko me, morning muesli and that's it, but this thread has piqued an interest. Is on one of my regular loops. Might call in by, get a pint, stick in jersey pocket to bring home. Nice bit of bouncing and sweating should improve it, no?
    You are aware Jersey is the breed of cow, not a recommendation on how to transport it home?

Or have I missed the point and you actually ride a light brown cow of less than average stature?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Why do adults with 28" waist moan that they can get trousers to fit, instead of just eating some pies? Conform with the norm you skinny buggers! :D:D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    New Question:

Why is it that if I start doing the dishes/wash my hands when I have a slight urge to take a pi$$ it turns into I MUST take a pi$$ NOW in mere seconds?

Also why is the urge to pi$$ ratcheted up when you pass or are in the bathroom?

Why?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    t4tomo wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Hmm. There is a dairy farm not far from me which has signs outside offering for sale raw Jersey milk. Not much of a milko me, morning muesli and that's it, but this thread has piqued an interest. Is on one of my regular loops. Might call in by, get a pint, stick in jersey pocket to bring home. Nice bit of bouncing and sweating should improve it, no?
    You are aware Jersey is the breed of cow, not a recommendation on how to transport it home?

Or have I missed the point and you actually ride a light brown cow of less than average stature?
    :roll: Shurely any fule kno that if I could milk my own jersey then I wouldn't run the risk of the wet and sticky bum etc.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    Why do men's clothes shops only stock 28 waist trousers in 32 length, whereas they will sell 30 waists with 30 length?

I have never understood this.
    Or why no 30 waist with 34 length? Mostly I find that 34 leg starts at 32 waist, but I have long legs and a small waist...
  • webboo
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I'm 30" and 38"... Webboo, this all points to the hard truth (which I think you have already alluded to!)... ;)
    I wouldn't be bragging if I had a 38" chest, I'd be hitting the the bench press big time.
    My jeans 501's are all 32" and I wear a belt with them.

Mainly so I can undo the top button.
  • tangled_metal
    The 34" leg length stops increasing. It's like up to the size that 32" length appears the waist and length is increasing. Then you just see the waist increase in size.

So basically from short @rse to just above average height you get even increase in size. After that they think people are only getting fatter not taller and bigger in proportion. Even if you go into high and mighty type of shops you are expected to be fat if you're tall.

This annoys me somewhat because it's easier to shorten leg length than reduce waist size in trousers. It's why I like Scandinavian brands for hiking trousers. They are taller for narrower waists and even leave hems unfinished. So one brand has 34" waist with 38" unfinished hems. Typically they make good 36" finished hems.
  • Ben6899
    Webboo wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I wouldn't be bragging if I had a 38" chest, I'd be hitting the the bench press big time.

We ride bikes in here, I'm not sure what physique you're expecting of people... ;)
    Ben

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407

Hey baby. Dig my pecs
  • webboo
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

We ride bikes in here, I'm not sure what physique you're expecting of people... ;)
    You ride bikes, well I never.
    Been out today?
  • Alex99
    Pross wrote:
    Why do clock/radio/alarm clocks all have 9 minute snooze time. Even the alarm clock on.my phone defaults to 9 minute snooze. Is there something significant about 9 minutes?

That was my question!

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... es-not-ten

"(9) In the days of dial clocks, the snooze interval was originally intended to be ten minutes max, but precision was unimportant and engineers were content if they could make the interval nine minutes and change. When the industry switched to digital, clock designers figured the standard snooze interval was nine minutes; "and change" went out the window." ...maybe
  • Alex99 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Why do clock/radio/alarm clocks all have 9 minute snooze time. Even the alarm clock on.my phone defaults to 9 minute snooze. Is there something significant about 9 minutes?

That was my question!

"(9) In the days of dial clocks, the snooze interval was originally intended to be ten minutes max, but precision was unimportant and engineers were content if they could make the interval nine minutes and change. When the industry switched to digital, clock designers figured the standard snooze interval was nine minutes; "and change" went out the window." ...maybe

My understanding was that the 9 minutes was a function of the gearing constraints of the old mechanical clocks then got carried over into the digital era just like the qwerty keyboard.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

That was my question!

My understanding was that the 9 minutes was a function of the gearing constraints of the old mechanical clocks then got carried over into the digital era just like the qwerty keyboard.

Could be right. That link has a whole list of explanations... of varying credibility. Amusing though.
  • Ben6899
    Webboo wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Been out today?

Turbo'd
    Ben

• webboo
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Been out today?

Turbo'd
    How sad. I had 4 hours across the North York Moors but as an old fatty it's needed to get my chest size down. However as it's the shooting season I rode it in one of my tweed suits with the 6 inch drop.
  • Ben6899
    Webboo wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Been out today?

Turbo'd
    How sad. I had 4 hours across the North York Moors but as an old fatty it's needed to get my chest size down. However as it's the shooting season I rode it in one of my tweed suits with the 6 inch drop.

Genuinely jealous. Fancy sharing the route with a fellow Tyke?
    Ben